ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
dcx4610
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

MSF Course - Not impressed

I'll try to keep it short but I thought I would give my take on the MSF Beginner's Course.

Going in, I had never ridden a motorcycle or driven a car with a clutch. I had however had years of riding BMX bikes so I was comfortable with balance and the physics of a 2-wheel vehicle. Before the course, I spent a lot of time watching videos on YouTube, reading articles and taking the pre-test exam on the MSF site.

First, I was a little turned off by the language in the rules sent to you prior to taking the course. The fee is $205 and it states that even if you are late, you must reschedule and pay the $205 again. If you don't bring the right gear or forget something, same thing. I know they just want people to show up on time and with the right gear but it just comes across as taking someones money for a mistake.

The course was conducted by one male and one female instructor. The male I could tell right away didn't have a lot of patience. The female was very nice and seemed like she had the right attitude. We were instructed that this will be a fast paced course with no time to waste and if you can't keep up you should leave. Excuse me? This is a BEGINNERS COURSE. You can't expect people to be rushed or get a hang of riding a bike for the first time instantly. We went over the basic controls and then getting use to the clutch, paddle walking and braking.

As the day went on, we learned a lot about turning, swerving, shifting, braking and what you would typically expect. Some people picked it up faster than others while others probably didn't belong a bike. I personally felt I was pretty far ahead of the group but like others, I did have a problem with stalling my bike getting into first gear. Instead of explaining what I was doing wrong I was yelled at telling me to "Stop dumping the clutch!". Gee, that helps. I'd love to stop dumping it. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

At the end of the first day, we ended in the classroom, watched some videos and took a test. The test was identical to the one on the MSF site so I knew what to expect and had all of the answers.

The 2nd day was a bit more grueling and was 8 hours on the range (in 100 degree weather at that) and more advanced techniques including figure 8s, emergency braking and riding over objects. I was confident going into day 2 but it was tiring due to the heat and I dreaded every time we got the male instructor since I knew he would just yell instead of help.

By the end of the course, everyone had passed but there were 3 guys that clearly had no business on a bike. One guy dropped it, one guy just wouldn't go faster than 10mph and another guy put his foot down constantly trying to balance. They still passed them regardless since they didn't get enough points on their end exam.

Overall, the MSF gave me confidence of actually riding the bike and I learned a few tips. Other than that, I was really turned off by the experience. Everything felt rushed, one instructor didn't have the patience or personality to be a teacher and I think the course needs to be re-designed.

The classroom should come FIRST. Why are they teaching you about safety, controls and how the bike works AFTER you have already ridden all day? Instead of rushing through 18 tests, they should cut that number in half and teach the more important techniques that keep you alive and what you would encounter on the road.

I still recommend everyone to take the MSF but I honestly learned just as much from YouTube and forums.

Anyone else have a "meh" experience? Also if anyone has questions on what to expect on the course or what riding techniques you are expected to learn, I can try to explain.
dcx4610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
wvninjamom
ninjette.org member

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

All I can say is - WOW! I had a completely different experience. We DID do all of the classroom work before we even touched the motorcycles. Also had two instructors - I know this is a stereotype but both were older "bikers" with long gray beards, leather, - you get the idea. Both were very patient and basically split the group in two. We worked with one of the guys for a while and then switched and went to the other guy. Same thing with the class - some were better than others. We were riding in the snow, ice, rain, wet and did have one person drop the bike on a quick stop. She was OK and luckily we had an orthopedic surgeon in the class. Everyone passed, but one person was given a recommendation to re-take the class before getting their licence.

I, like you, had never ridden before. This was the best thing I could have done before getting on the bike. Great practice in a controlled setting. I've already put part of what I learned to the test - had to stop quick when my husband hit a deer on his bike and I was right behind him on mine. Have also been more secure riding in the rain, etc due to the conditions during the class.

Anyhow, it's too bad that your experience wasn't better. Maybe they just aren't screening the instructors as carefully as they should. We were able to critique the instructors/class at the end. I hope you were also given this opportunity and were honest about your experience.
wvninjamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I see you're in nashville, which site did you take it at?
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #4
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

My MSF experience

My MSF experience was awesome. The 2 instructors had a lot of street and track riding experience. One of them was a certified motorcycle crash paramedic or something like that. They were very very patient with the people who were new to motorcycling. Since I had some experience, they give me advanced tips about how I can improve my riding.

And I and another guy did not have ankle length boots. So they took an hour long break before getting on the bikes so that we could go and buy some boots. They also had cold water, snacks and sunscreen lotion. Super nice guys!

Random: The more experienced instructor rode from Arkansas to the tip of Newfoundland (Canada) and back on his R1 with his wife riding pillion. Total time - 10 days. And he was 50 at that time.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Who cares go ride a bike and enjoy yourself. Sometimes teachers are impatient or bad at what they do

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Did you have a class evaluation at the end to express all that you expressed here?

I took the MSF with NO riding experience whatsoever other than riding a bicycle. I never watched any YouTube videos, read any books or anything. I went into the course brand new. My experience was similar as yours as far as with the 2 instructors, one was great at explaining things, the other, not so much. It was also ridiculously hot with all the gear. There were times I was borderline delirious from the heat and gear sitting on a hot running bike on the blacktop while I waited in line for my turn.

I can understand the policy as far as payment and coming prepared. Maybe because I work for a community college and understand the policies (we have a rider course here.) I don't know about in Nashville, but around here the motorcycle courses are incredibly popular. If people paid with the intention to come and missed the class or didn't come prepared, people would miss class left and right and holding the classes or hiring instructors would be a waste of time and money. Our classes are held rain or shine (unless it's a DUMPING MONSOON type of rain) and will make excuses not to come. If they pay and know they'll lose their money, they will make extra certain they show up. Because of liability and laws, they have to expect the students to be prepared. I think it's great to reinforce and stand behind rules and policies. If we make an exception for one person, then everyone expects that, and then things just get out of hand. A lot of the rules are things set up by the state, not so much by the institution doing the schooling, and people don't realize that part.

I fell off my bike during practice. I came to a stop and I have no idea why I did this, I released the clutch AND the break when I came to a stop, while in gear. The bike bucked me off and I flew up and over the handlebars and onto my face/chest areas. Thank GOD I had all the gear on I did! I literally was stunned because it happened so fast I didn't even know what happened at first. I was afraid to move because I was so stunned I didn't know if I was hurt, it hadn't hit me yet. LOL The students helped me to my feet and picked up my bike, the instructor didn't even ask if I was okay. She just kept on talking. It would have been at least courteous, in my book, if she had at least asked or pretended to be concerned. I don't need to be babied, but what if I was really injured?

We did our classroom instruction prior to the bike stuff, I'm pretty sure we did the written exam before going out on the bikes. I guess it's just how your state wants to do it. I dunno.

Old July 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
Anyone else have a "meh" experience?
In Florida, I took the course just for the endorsement, since I had years of riding experience.
I believed then that nobody could teach me much; but Eric, our main instructor, was as cool as he was talented, he was an active motorcycle racer from whom I learned a lot of advanced riding techniques.

He focused more on defensive road maneuvers and strategy than on basic staff.
He did hold the hands of the really newbies, riding with them and transforming them into competent street riders in just two days.

Everyone did perform and pass the practical and written tests in the afternoon of the last day.

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." Albert Einstein
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Duchess
<3

Name: Kristina

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

I think it depends on the instructor, because I had the complete opposite experience.

My MSF instructor was a guy who rode for 40 years and had the patience of a saint. Everyone in our class ranged from experienced (in some way) to seeming as if they'd never even ridden a pedal bike. He was patient, knowledgeable, and completely willing to put in extra effort for those who needed it as well as coached each of us individually.

We even had one guy who was on his third time through the course (a shock to us all, because it seemed like it was his first, he was struggling so badly...) and the instructor told him that as long as he had openings, the guy could keep coming back to train with him on the same $250 payment until he passed. I think that's pretty amazing to charge him once and only once no matter how many times he ends up taking it. At one point in a joking manner when the guy wasn't around, our instructor even said "I'm going to train/pass that guy if it's the last thing I do!"

So it definitely depends on the instructor. Patience is key, as you noticed with the female instructor. To all future MSF students, I would suggest researching where you take it, trying to find people who can vouch for instructors, etc. Go to places that have sites with reviews, etc. Daniel, I'm awfully sorry your experience was less than ideal.
Duchess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Where I work, the classes are offered into different courses to accommodate different skill levals: absolute beginner (for those that aren't sure if they want to ride or not, so they get a little extra time sitting on the bike and moving around), the basic rider (which is what I took, also for newbies-at the time I went they didn't offer an absolute beginner) and then of course, like you described, those who have been riding but just needed to get legal. (That class is only one day.)

We also offer extra practice (I did that recently, and used my Ninja to maneuver around, huge difference than the school's bikes and a lot harder, IMO) and then there's the Advanced Total Control classes, based off the book Total Control by Lee Parks

I can't imagine how boring to be in a class with new people if you're an experienced rider.

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #10
folky15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Anyone else have a "meh" experience?
I took MSF here in Illinois and was completely impressed at how good the whole course was. The instructors were great (knowledgeable, patient, humorous), the bikes we used were just right for beginners (new Yamaha TW200), and the classroom sessions were timed just right for us to practice what we learned out on the range.

It also helped that the weather was perfect and the course only costs $20 here in Illinois

Old July 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Whut?! $20?? Dang!

Isn't Illinois one of those states that don't require a helmet?

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #12
dcx4610
ninjette.org member

I wouldn't call it a bad experience but I just wasn't blown away.

Keep in mind in this same class, when asked what bikes do they recommend for a beginner after the class. Why, how about a 650 and 750? Wtf!? Do they want people to die?

The male instructor also liked showing off to class by riding while scraping the pegs on the ground...

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #13
xSean13

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a bad experience but I just wasn't blown away.

Keep in mind in this same class, when asked what bikes do they recommend for a beginner after the class. Why, how about a 650 and 750? Wtf!? Do they want people to die?

The male instructor also liked showing off to class by riding while scraping the pegs on the ground...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
I see you're in nashville, which site did you take it at?

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #14
dcx4610
ninjette.org member

I did mine in Smyrna and had a friend take the class in Nashville with a similar experience. Show-off male instructor, nice and patient female instructor.

They have a big coaches list and just pair them up and send them around the state. It's luck of the draw.

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #15
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but to complain about 100° when you enrolled in the MSF course in July??

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

I don't know about the other guy but the classes fill up so fast where I took it you get to the point where you don't really have a say in which class you want to sign up for...so I signed up months in advance but the soonest class I could get into was at the end of August.

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #17
folky15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
Whut?! $20?? Dang!

Isn't Illinois one of those states that don't require a helmet?

The $20 is really just a refundable deposit too - you get the option of donating the $20 to the course, or you can get the deposit back and basically take the course for free....pretty great!

I was so impressed with the course, that I gave them my $20 plus another $50 to go towards the program fund.

No helmet laws in Illinois, but I have a personal policy to never get on the bike w/o wearing a full face helmet

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #18
xSean13

Quote:
I did mine in Smyrna and had a friend take the class in Nashville with a similar experience. Show-off male instructor, nice and patient female instructor.

They have a big coaches list and just pair them up and send them around the state. It's luck of the draw.
I see. I took mine behind the Police Academy in Donelson...no show-off instructors, they were both super nice.

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #19
dcx4610
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but to complain about 100° when you enrolled in the MSF course in July??
That wasn't a MSF complaint. I definitely recommend doing the course in the Fall or Spring though. It was brutal since you have to wear heavy gear and sit around a lot. Definitely bring stuff you take off between tests.

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #20
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

MSF courses are run by private companies. Just like McDonald's, not every location provides the same customer service.

My MSF was good. Yours does not sound good. Did they have you fill out a survey at the end? For mine, we filled out two surveys (1 for their reference and one that is sent to CHP).
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #21
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eduardo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r special edition

Loved the MSF course and loved my instructeres best In california I think! The whole classroom loved em! I even had lunch with the female instructor during the lunch break. And gave me a ride back to the range.
Awesome lady brh were awesome!

Pasadena -class room Altadena-range
Took them march 3-4 2012
And I was ready to ride, march 10th got my baby and been riding daily ever since boooyaa!
NinjaBoyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #22
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

I had a great time in Eden Prairie, MN.

Father and son were the instructors and they were super nice
iplante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #23
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

dcx where u at in nashville? im in antioch, and i would love some one to ride with! i still havnt took any course, i personally know 3 instructors, all male, only one of them isnt a ass hat lol. let me know if you wanna ride or hang out, im starting to repaint my ninja and wiring an underglow before the weekend.

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Hmm. Here it was $25 and:
- Friday evening: all classwork, familiarization, videos, etc. Neither instructor put pressure on students to get it all right instantly, although the rules about gear were reviewed (and people asked lots of questions) as well as what may happen if a student is unable to progress (coaching, then coaching to drop out, with a free retake). Things did move quickly; I finished the whole course before I realized that one could push the turn signal to turn it off. I was flicking it the other direction and hoping I didn't push hard enough to turn on the *other* turn signal all the way through the test.

- Saturday: 4 hours of drills from exceedingly basic to 75% of the test material. Two people washed out; one dropped her bike and got shaky; the other just got nerves and couldn't get past the feet-on-ground step.

- Sunday: one written test (everyone passed); the rest of the test material drills, some review drill time, and the test proper. I think one person failed due to a drop.

I would consider writing regional/state/national MSF and describe your experience; that shouldn't be the norm.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #25
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBoyEddy View Post
Loved the MSF course and loved my instructeres best In california I think! The whole classroom loved em! I even had lunch with the female instructor during the lunch break. And gave me a ride back to the range.
Awesome lady brh were awesome!

Pasadena -class room Altadena-range
Took them march 3-4 2012
And I was ready to ride, march 10th got my baby and been riding daily ever since boooyaa!
I'm glad you had a good experience at the Pasadena course. I'm scheduled to take it there this Friday. What bikes did they have available?
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #26
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

$200? =/
mine was free...
we only had 1 instructor but we only had 3 people in our class...till one guy got kicked out. The instructor was an older guy that had been riding since bikes were invented and we watched the videos and read the book first then went out and rode the bikes. I had only been on a bike for about 80 miles when i hit the class and the class was really helpful and made me feel a lot better on my bike.
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #27
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

In PA ours are free as well. I felt a little rushed with power walking as I had a lot of trouble doing that (I actually don't think I like having my feet fully down flat lol), and I was the slowest of the group. I also had trouble shifting their little cruisers, you really had to kick the dickens out of them to get them in the right gear. But beyond that our instructors were funny and very helpful. I had no previous experience except knowing how to use a standard transmission and ride a bicycle well. I learned a lot, and definitely use some concepts on a daily basis. I would not be riding at all if I didn't take the MSF course, definitely didn't feel safe learning on my own, but that's just me!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #28
seanshawnS
ninjette.org member

Name: SHAWN

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250r(2012PR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
I don't know about the other guy but the classes fill up so fast where I took it you get to the point where you don't really have a say in which class you want to sign up for...so I signed up months in advance but the soonest class I could get into was at the end of August.
Same here, you take what date you can get. Classes around here start in April and run till September. I tested in June, rained the entire Saturday, roasted the entire Sunday
seanshawnS is offline   Reply With Quote