ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Recommend a good torque wrench

What's a good torque wrench that won't break the bank?
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Some suggestions in these:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87830
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17582

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM   #3
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

I have a 1/2" drive harbor freight cheapy that I've been using for my cars' lug nuts and I used for the rear axle on my 250 when I replaced the chain adjuster and readjusted the chain. It seems to do the job for me. I'm thinking I'll pick up a 3/8" of the same model once I need one, or maybe the 1/4" since there's a lot of overlap between the 3/8 and 1/2.

The 1/2" (20-150 ft/lbs) is $11.99 with a coupon. Click Here.

The 3/8" (5-80 ft/lbs) and 1/4" (20-200 in/lbs) are $21.99 right now so I would wait for a coupon on those.

A couple torque wrench tips...in auto shop my shop teacher told us to always use impact sockets, not standard sockets, when torquing lug nuts. I have applied this to everything I've been using the 1/2" torque wrench for. If I need an extension I also use an impact extension instead of a standard extension, and use the shortest extension that will get the job done. With click type wrenches I have read not to store it adjusted at a high setting, instead to store it mostly loosened. Don't use your torque wrench as a hammer or a breaker bar. Don't drop it. Treat it like the properly calibrated instrument you hope it is. Most come with a protective case...use it.

Another tip...I've read every now and then one of the Harbor Freight torque wrenches will be a dud, and won't click off at the desired torque setting. The recommendation is to test it on something you don't care about before using it for something important.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

+1 for the Harbor Freight cheapy. Their micrometers are surprisingly accurate as well!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:56 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If you go with a cheap torque wrench, get the size that puts the torque range you want to be most accurate in the middle of its working range - not at the extremes.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM   #6
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
...A couple torque wrench tips...in auto shop my shop teacher told us to always use impact sockets, not standard sockets, when torquing lug nuts. I have applied this to everything I've been using the 1/2" torque wrench for. If I need an extension I also use an impact extension instead of a standard extension, and use the shortest extension that will get the job done.
I've had good luck with the HF cheapie clickers as well: Own the quarter, three-eights, and half-inch versions. (Did break the ratchet mechanism in the half-inch drive one once: bought another one and converted the broken one to a counterclockwise torquing wrench).

But what is the rationale for using impact sockets, impact extensions, and as-short-as-possible extensions?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:53 PM   #7
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
I've had good luck with the HF cheapie clickers as well: Own the quarter, three-eights, and half-inch versions. (Did break the ratchet mechanism in the half-inch drive one once: bought another one and converted the broken one to a counterclockwise torquing wrench).

But what is the rationale for using impact sockets, impact extensions, and as-short-as-possible extensions?
Maybe since they're thicker/more heavy duty, an extra margin of safety when dealing with strong forces (same with using a breaker bar, I always prefer to have an impact socket at the end of that instead of a standard socket)? Longer than necessary extensions I'd think would make it more likely to not be perpendicular, which could cause safety issues and maybe inaccurate torque measurements?

Either I never asked my auto shop teacher why or I just don't remember his explanation; I just remember those were the instructions. Most vehicles we would just use the torque wrench with a deep impact socket and no extension as long as the lug nuts weren't too deep in the wheel.

Edited to add:

Maybe it's also because impact sockets are 6pt, that way maybe a student wouldn't accidentally grab a 12pt standard socket and strip somebody's lug nut or slip off and bang knuckles while torquing something down?
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:55 PM   #8
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
I have a 1/2" drive harbor freight cheapy that I've been using for my cars' lug nuts and I used for the rear axle on my 250 when I replaced the chain adjuster and readjusted the chain. It seems to do the job for me. I'm thinking I'll pick up a 3/8" of the same model once I need one, or maybe the 1/4" since there's a lot of overlap between the 3/8 and 1/2.

The 1/2" (20-150 ft/lbs) is $11.99 with a coupon. Click Here.

The 3/8" (5-80 ft/lbs) and 1/4" (20-200 in/lbs) are $21.99 right now so I would wait for a coupon on those.

A couple torque wrench tips...in auto shop my shop teacher told us to always use impact sockets, not standard sockets, when torquing lug nuts. I have applied this to everything I've been using the 1/2" torque wrench for. If I need an extension I also use an impact extension instead of a standard extension, and use the shortest extension that will get the job done. With click type wrenches I have read not to store it adjusted at a high setting, instead to store it mostly loosened. Don't use your torque wrench as a hammer or a breaker bar. Don't drop it. Treat it like the properly calibrated instrument you hope it is. Most come with a protective case...use it.

Another tip...I've read every now and then one of the Harbor Freight torque wrenches will be a dud, and won't click off at the desired torque setting. The recommendation is to test it on something you don't care about before using it for something important.
Hey thanks a lot man this is probably the route I will go.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

because extensions twist, especially non impact ones. so you're torquing the extension and not the bolt

Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:02 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
IBut what is the rationale for using impact sockets, impact extensions, and as-short-as-possible extensions?
I always use impact sockets, but I don't see it as required unless your regular sockets are pretty bad.

As far as using a short extension or none at all, I think a long extension may alter the readings by making it harder to stay aligned exactly on the center-line of the bolt as you torque it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote