ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
dcx4610
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Dogs hate the Ninja

Just had my first dog encounter yesterday. I'm only about 200 miles into riding so I'm still learning various things and getting my shifts down smoothly.

Here I am riding back home then I catch something out of the corner of my eye. A dog darts into the road, has full eye contact with me and gets inches from the bike of me hitting him.

Thankfully he came at me from the side and I sped up just in time but if he came at me in the front, there is no doubt I would have hit him and probably dropped the bike. I was shocked at how calm I stayed and didn't freak out and swerve or slow down.

I had read something on a forum that stuck with me saying something to the effect of you can't be squeamish when it comes to animals. If they are in your path, it's better to just hold on tight and hit them rather than swerve or emergency brake and end up low or high siding. It may sound cruel but a squirrel isn't going to have a 25k medical bill.

Anyway, just wanted to share as even though they talked about dogs in the MSF, I never thought I'd experience much less this quickly into my riding experience.

Anyone have any dog stories?
dcx4610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
fatestkid
ninjette.org member

Name: fatty

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Glad you and the dog are okay!

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I think it's funny when dogs chase me. If I see a dog coming from my side I slow down, then when it gets close I hit the throttle and I'm gone before he ever had a chance.

One time this happened to me while I was passing a guy on a bicycle. I sped up and the dog forgot about me and went right for the guy on the bicycle.

Point of story, be glad you aren't riding a bicycle.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Within my first two hundred miles (probably) a dog also ran out to me. Granted it was a little dog, I still was glad I kept under control.

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

i had 2 encounters with dog so far... first one the dog was on the other side of the road, I just kept an eye on it and expected the worse, then the dog runs across oncoming traffic and my bike, I just anticipated it and slowed down while it was running across oncoming traffic, it crosses to my side of the road, and then i just sped up to clear it, other than that theres a dog near my neighbors house that always runs out to chase me, but luckily this guy never leaves the lawn, i just always make sure and keep an eye on em
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i have a few dogs round here that like to chase me, on my first ninja all i could do was drive past them. but now with this ninja and its full exhaust i love screwing with them i now slow down and when they get close i hold the clutch and rev up around 10-11k so far each dog has been scared shitless. the last one tried to do a 180 and tripped over himself and yelped, then ran out of the road.

<3 dogs lol

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

One of my friends had a 40 mile per hour dog encounter. It was night and she was driving up a hill on her way home. As she reached the top of a hill she saw that a dog was standing in the middle of the road. She tried to swerve around the dog but ending up clipping the dog in the head with her foot at 40 mph and breaking her foot.

She didn't see the dog afterwards, but we always give her crap about how that dog deserved it and that she killed it
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Funny This was a question in my test for my permit. I kinda laughed it at first. This stuff really happens ? Haha
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 07:33 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I parked my bike and went chasing after the last one so that it would learn to never chase motorcycles again.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #10
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I was going around a curve and saw 5 stray dogs 3 sm/med and 2 large. I was fortunate enough that they showed up as I was exiting the curve so I was giving rolling the throttle. I don't like driving around dogs, especially the big ones.
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #11
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Several months ago, a big german shepherd ran straight for my bike. He took off in advance so he could be where I would be when I got there. I thought I was doomed, but then just for the heck of it, I honked the horn and he backed off and ran the other way. Missed him by a few inches.

Old August 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #12
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Several months ago, a big german shepherd ran straight for my bike. He took off in advance so he could be where I would be when I got there. I thought I was doomed, but then just for the heck of it, I honked the horn and he backed off and ran the other way. Missed him by a few inches.
That's how they always come at me. Upsetting their timing is key. I usually slow down then speed up after they adjust for it.
diablos991 is offline   Reply With Quote