ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 12th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #1
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Planning on starting motorcycle parts business

Hi guys, I'm planning on manufacturing farkles for bikes like our ninjette and maybe CBRs and KTMs in the future. Do you guys think it's a good Idea? The aim is to be cheaper than the competition while maintaining the same high standards. Some of the products I was looking at are aimed squarely at track day users or racers.

1) Clip on Handlebars
2) Rearset adjuster plates
3) Adjustable dogbones
4) Preload adjusters
5) Exhaust systems (full and slip on)

Anything else you guys can think of?

Old March 12th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Sounds legit in theory but there's a lot of work behind that.

How is the market in India for those kind of things? I would think shipping out of India would make things cost prohibitive for you so your home country would be your primary market without a doubt.

You know where to message me if you want to chat it out!
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #3
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

You have access to a dyno? I don't consider header back exhaust a farkle and people dropping that kinda coin want to see a graph.

As far as the US there's only a couple places to get each of the others. I only know of one for preload adjusters and they're $99. If you think you can compete with SSR's pricing on things and still offer colors to people I think you'd be in business
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
emulators. they aren't that much harder than preload adjusters.

dirt bar replacement triples

Old March 12th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I know for a fact if you can offer your products in purple you can sell loads of stuff. My wife and her female friends all want purple parts for their bikes and the list of aftermarket parts available in purple is very limited. I have spent hours looking for rearsets and levers in purple for them and there is very little out there. Good quality parts will always sell add to that a good price and that = more sales offer color selection and we will see you on the FORBES 500 in no time! Best of luck on your new business. Let me know if you need a distributor here in the USA!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
My wife and her female friends all want purple parts
How many friends?

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #7
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '11 CBR250R, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

I think that is a terrific idea. I also second the dyno suggestion, and I would recommend to have a friendly website with multiple languages and shipping in different monetary denominations. For the exhaust, I would (if you haven't already) research the exhaust measurements (inside measurements, bolt patterns, etc.) and try to make as few adjustable header sets & cans as possible to maximize $$. Also, I don't know about other places in the world, but here in the US there are noise ordinances which must be taken into account. I would believe that places like European countries probably have these too.

Go for it!!
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #8
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

@Trailerboy531 I'm actually only going to target the international market, as I don't see a market for it in India at all.
@ForceofWill No, I don't have a dyno right now, but exhaust systems isn't my priority anyways. Also, I'll start with making only slip ons and then progress to making headers once I find a solution for the dyno. Either that, or I'll buy the headers from someone in bulk. Maybe strike a deal with Tyga exhausts... lol
@alex.s Not so sure about emulators, but I definitely love the dirt bar idea. I'll try making it so it mounts on the current triple.
@Ducati999 Thanks buddy I'm sure I will eventually need a distributor. Will be in touch for sure.
@jcgss77 Thanks for the suggestions. I know a place where I can get my stuff db tested, not an issue.

Old March 13th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #9
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Don't worry about the noise regulations! Make the best performing product possible then just make an add on DB killer which is easy to install/remove. People make decisions on what power it will make not on if it will pass inspection. The laws do have to be followed so you sell them what they want and its up to them to comply. Most people would love an exhaust that wins on Sunday and then can easily be made legal on Monday. All you have to do is think from the riders point of view and you will be successful!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The devil is in the details. You MUST have good fulfillment capabilities including both initial delivery, handling returns, and the ability to cope with exceptions. Many people in the U.S. mistrust small suppliers from Asia for this reason. They're perceived as fly-by-night operations and, sad as it may be, consumers here expect near-perfection in communications, tracking, etc.

These things can swamp you.

Do a search on "Shinto" here on the forum. A few years back some fella did exactly what you're proposing. I bought some of his stuff and it was good, but IIRC others had problems in the fulfillment department. His business did not survive very long.

Remember that the first thing you're doing is setting up a BUSINESS. The fact that you're going to be manufacturing accessories is secondary. Take that mindset and you'll have a much greater chance of success.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I think you could succeed but definitely put your time in, do your research on what people want, what you can offer at a good price with good profit margins and cater things to your market.

Some thing I have been thinking about lately is every business should have an interactive online sales person. Someone who literally is a member on every single bike forum you can think of. Their job is to take notes on what people want and how they want it and then offer it up in the market places of those forums and create buzz, put together group buys ect...

Take this forum for example, what seems popular around here? Jet kits, gsxr shock swaps, emulators, stainless brake lines, clip-ons, rearset adjusters, block off plates, adjustable levers, for some reason frame sliders just to name a few. I feel like if you get a good supplier of raw material and some decent equipment most of those things mentioned could be made fairly easily and would be able to generate good profit margin.

If looking to sell to racers an easy thing to offer is lightweight alternatives for stock parts. T6 brackets and mounts, smaller this, smaller that (where acceptable)

Think outside the box on occasion and try to offer things perhaps you wanted once but could never find or think of what might be the next hot thing. Look at the 415 chain conversion that aftermarket cycle did for the ninja250, sure the market is not that big for it but no one said you had to keep making them forever. Make 50 kits, sell them all and keep a few set aside for the odd ball request. Making it now in the business world means you have to be adaptable, milking every small chance you get.

Something else that can possibly generate a little revenue is importing some Chinese knock off things but addressing a few of the minor flaws and resell them at a higher price but help instill buyer confidence and offer good customer support

I think about those Chinese knockoff KOSO digital gauges, if someone could figure out a way to make them work more accurately for minimal cost, offer gaurenteed instructions that work, someone could import them for $35 a pop and sell them for $80-$100 and all you need to do is seal them better, get an accurate wiring diagram and instructions, fix speedo accuracy and bam decent profit. Plus then you generate a need for the mounting bracket that you designed for the gauge

that's my 2 cents and is based off of my zero experience running a business I think it's all about advertising your product in the right place and right time.

good luck keep us posted

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote