ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #41
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Not really a skill, but I've been working on my flexibility. I never realized how inflexible I was until recently. My hope is that it will make hanging off the bike easier and not feel like I'm forcing it.
Funny you should mention that... I'm working on my balance by standing on one foot and putting my arms in different positions to see how to counter weight them by sticking my butt in the opposite direction. Needless to say, my balance sucks.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #42
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Funny you should mention that... I'm working on my balance by standing on one foot and putting my arms in different positions to see how to counter weight them by sticking my butt in the opposite direction. Needless to say, my balance sucks.
Sounds like you are practicing for that next DUI test.

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #43
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Sounds like you are practicing for that next DUI test.
well, I do have the first part down pretty good.

Old August 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #44
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

after being off the bike for what seemed like eternity (6 days), i got it last night...and if felt soooooooo gooooooooood.

I took the lil devil to a parking lot and practiced quick stops. it was getting late and there wasn't much light in the parking lot, but i was really wanting to go a straight line at low speeds. I guess i'll wait for the weekend.

question; how long do you guys warm up the bike before hitting the road? i warmed her up last night for about 5 minutes and when i took off, it seemed she didn't want to move...sounded like gas wasn't getting into her organs fast enough.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #45
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Especially in the part of the country that you live it should only take about a 1 minute warm-up time. About the time it takes to put on your helmet and gloves which are the last to pieces of gear I put on.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #46
Blackwidow

even after its been parked for 6 days?

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #47
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Yes...If it was a month or more then I would say put in fresh fuel and go for a high speed run to "blow the gunk" out.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #48
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
even after its been parked for 6 days?
Mod time....

Need to shim the needles and remove the snorkel.

Here ya go... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #49
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

You might have to use the choke if it doesn't feel like it's moving. Warm it about a minute with choke so you're idling at 1500ish, take off and keep it at lower rpms for a few minutes until it's fully warm. You'll know it's warm when you idle higher than 1500 with the choke on. Don't forget to turn off the choke and then go WOT! Well, maybe not yet...
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #50
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
How was it acting by the time you returned from the ride?

If it was fine after the ride, twas just a bit gummed up.

If it wasn't, has the temp/weather changed a bunch?

+1 on shimming the carbs.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #51
Blackwidow

it was fine after a while...the initial stall was as i was coming out of the parking lot into the main street. i had to roll the throttle a lot to get it going. but it fixed itself up.

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #52
Blackwidow

had a situation yesterday thought i'd share it. I had friends over for a bbq, so I decided to pull my bike out of the garage and bring it to the front of the house so i can show it off. anyway, after all was said and done...it was later at night around 9.30pm when it was a lot cooler out. I turned the bike on and let it warm up for a few minutes, I went around the block and went into the drive way...the driveway is a small steep hill, i was on second gear going up the hill, I rolled the throttle like i normally do and the bike stalled. I came to a complete stop on the damn hill and I was petrified!!!!! I put my left foot down and I was literally stuck, I got too scared to shift legs cuz of the weight of the bike and my awkward position on the hill, so i couldn't get the bike on first gear to take off. I kept my right foot on the back break and took my helmet off and started yelling for my bf to come and help, after what seemed like an eternity, the bf finally heard my cries and came to my rescue. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???? I went around the block just fine and right at the incline the bike totally stops. HELP PLEASE.

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #53
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Paulette maybe it wasn't quite as warmed up as it needed to be. Might want to use 1st gear next time until its warm for sure.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #54
Blackwidow

what are my other options in case it happens again?

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #55
backinthesaddleagain

I would grab front brake and clutch. Start the bike. Try to get it into first, I know that was a problem for you last night. Maybe gently let the clutch out to the friction point, pull it back in and try to downshift to first again (keep hand on F brake). If it still won't go to first then smoothly release some brake to SLOWLY roll back a couple INCHES, and see if you can get first gear. Bikes just don't like to shift when stationary, and its always at the worst times. Just imagine if you had to kick start it. Up hill is worst place to stall IMHO.

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #56
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
what are my other options in case it happens again?
Sounds similar to what I deal with leaving my driveway (incline up to main road).

Like "backinthesaddleagain" suggests, the bike probably wasn't as warmed up as you think. Especially if you were "cruising" through the neighborhood instead of revving through the gears like you would on a spirited ride. I know when I go through neighborhoods I'm usually in low gears and frequently coasting to stop at stop signs, etc..

If you can't "warm up" enough on short rides, I'd recommend leaving a little choke. The richer fuel mix will prevent the bike from stalling.

Or you could always have gunned it from the street and up your driveway and do a stoppie at the top.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #57
Blackwidow

well, i felt so helpless...i was very scared cuz i didn't know what to do. the damn weight of the bike scares the bejezus out of me, if I could shift legs, i would have gotten out of the situation with no problems, but having to hold up the weight on the incline road wasn't fun. Could i have put it in neutral and roll it down the hill backwards? would that be a good idea?

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #58
Cuongism

Hills definitely suck! If you can (height issues might make it harder), hold your front brake and shift over to your right side so your left foot can drop the gear to first.
If you feel like you can't do that without dropping the bike, you should be able to start the bike in second gear as long as your clutch is pulled in. Turn your choke on full to prevent a stall since you have to be revved up higher to start out in second gear. Not sure how long your incline is, but be prepared to brake if its short. Starting out in second gear generally will accelerrate slower though until it gets to speed.

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #59
backinthesaddleagain

Tough skill to practice. A dirt bike would make it so much easier to practice. I might not put in in neutral to roll back if I were you. Maybe leave it in gear and use the as an extra brake, of course then you let clutch out to slow you, the opposite of the brake. There is also a way to back down a bit, get it sideways on the hill, and then roll down the hill forwards (if a long hill). But again Paulette these are best practiced with a bike you don't mind dropping.

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #60
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Hills definitely suck! If you can (height issues might make it harder), hold your front brake and shift over to your right side so your left foot can drop the gear to first.
If you feel like you can't do that without dropping the bike, you should be able to start the bike in second gear as long as your clutch is pulled in. Turn your choke on full to prevent a stall since you have to be revved up higher to start out in second gear. Not sure how long your incline is, but be prepared to brake if its short. Starting out in second gear generally will accelerrate slower though until it gets to speed.
yeah I should have mentioned pull in the clutch and start the bike in my prior post, then try to get it down to first, by letting the clutch out gradually and back in or rolling back a few inches.

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #61
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
yeah I should have mentioned pull in the clutch and start the bike in my prior post, then try to get it down to first, by letting the clutch out gradually and back in or rolling back a few inches.
I think she feels uncomfortable switching legs on a hill (she's probably not flatfooting). Just want to let her know she can take off in second gear if necessary.

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #62
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I working on a new rear tire.

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #63
Blackwidow

i tried that, but as i would let the clutch go a little the bike would turn off. totally sucked!!!!

Old September 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #64
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I'm thinkin you are going to have to master your "friction" zone and throttle up... its a very fine balance to "stalling and not stalling", uphill especially. Baring this, one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" pendants may be helpful when trying to get the b.f.'s attention to come help instead of waking up the neighborhood.

Link to original page on YouTube.

addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #65
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

I barely use first gear. I literally shift into second the moment the bike is rolling. Sometimes approaching stop signs I'll downshift to first and try to do a rolling stop, without putting feet down, then right back to 2nd.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #66
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I've had a couple of incidents lately where my front tire almost washed out on me mid-turn. Now I'm noticing that I'm a little more hesitant to lean into turns. I gotta work through this crap now....damnit!!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #67
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I've had a couple of incidents lately where my front tire almost washed out on me mid-turn. Now I'm noticing that I'm a little more hesitant to lean into turns. I gotta work through this crap now....damnit!!
on the 750? if so, front fork suspension setting adjustment/tuning needed, maybe?

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #68
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
on the 750? if so, front fork suspension setting adjustment/tuning needed, maybe?
Ya on the 750. I think the suspension is okay. Most of the incidents involve me running over rocks (damn rocks...) and the latest, most devastating incident involved some street car tracks (damn street car tracks....). I don't spook easily but when the front tire wobbled mid-turn as I went over the tracks I almost pooped myself.

The suspension does feel a little loose in general, though. I may have to tinker....

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #69
addy126

lol Toronto is loaded with those slippery streetcar tracks... I never turn on them but set up for the move by picking my line across the groove as upright as possible to avoid goin down or getting caught up in the rail "groove". Those things can be a slippery prospect!

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #70
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
lol Toronto is loaded with those slippery streetcar tracks... I never turn on them but set up for the move by picking my line across the groove as upright as possible to avoid goin down or getting caught up in the rail "groove". Those things can be a slippery prospect!
I couldn't agree more. I had a bit of a lean angle when i went over those tracks. It was a bright, sunny day and I figured things would be cool....but they weren't....they totally weren't.

Lesson: street car tracks are the devil

Old September 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #71
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
I'm thinkin you are going to have to master your "friction" zone and throttle up... its a very fine balance to "stalling and not stalling", uphill especially. Baring this, one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" pendants may be helpful when trying to get the b.f.'s attention to come help instead of waking up the neighborhood.
LOL bite me... men like to save a woman in distress, so i'll stick to the yelling and honking of the horn to get the bf's attention.

i know the friction zone, but being on second gear on a hill I couldn't get the bike to move.

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #72
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I decided to enroll in a Sportbike Driving School for a weekend--in two weeks. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #73
addy126

Quote:
LOL bite me... .
Now if u were just a little bit older..... one might consider it

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #74
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I decided to enroll in a Sportbike Driving School for a weekend--in two weeks. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Awesome Alex? Whose putting it on, and where?

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #75
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Tailspin Riding School Loudon, NH.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #76
kkim

Quote:
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
certainly not me!

Have fun, Alex... arrive at class in "sponge" mode.

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #77
Blackwidow

Quote:
what exactly do they teach you? do you take your own bike?

Old September 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #78
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
what exactly do they teach you? do you take your own bike?
They teach you a lot of things like, cutting the apex of a corner, properly gauging your speed through a corner, proper body positioning, safe ways to overtake, visualizing the proper line through a corner, and so on. I'm gonna do the same one day. For now though I gotta get over my not wanting to lean much dilemma.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #79
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Todays ride - Worked on being smooth (usually every ride) but specifically, worked on keeping my head up and looking through turns as far as possible. One set of turns was cool as I could look up through the second set of turns while in the first.

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #80
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

I've been working on rev matching while braking. Not easy!
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote