ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Rear brake and foot position painful

I took my bike out today for a 50 mile ride out on Hwy 101, and while crossing a few towns, you hit a lot of lights and stop signs so my right foot was covering the rear break a lot in case of an emergency stop was needed, on top on covering the front break of course.
The problem is that now my poor ankle is sore and this has happened a lot especially when I leave my foot on the rear break a lot.
Is there a way to adjust the rear break pedal a bit so that I can comfortably put my foot on it ready to break and not be in pain when I get off the seat?
Or this is just operator error and I shouldn't keep my foot on there so much?

Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Spooph posted a youtube video on adjusting the foot pedals for both the shifter and the brake for the new-gens.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Not sure if it's the same for the older-gen 250s. I am in agreement with you though. I go to my friend's house quite often and in a mile, there are atleast 5-6 stop signs. I had to adjust my rear brake pedal as well. Lowered it a fair amount so I can rest my foot on it without engaging it.

setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I took my bike out today for a 50 mile ride out on Hwy 101, and while crossing a few towns, you hit a lot of lights and stop signs so my right foot was covering the rear break a lot in case of an emergency stop was needed, on top on covering the front break of course.
The problem is that now my poor ankle is sore and this has happened a lot especially when I leave my foot on the rear break a lot.
Is there a way to adjust the rear break pedal a bit so that I can comfortably put my foot on it ready to break and not be in pain when I get off the seat?
Or this is just operator error and I shouldn't keep my foot on there so much?

I would just not bother covering the rear brake.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

You shouldn't cover the brakes, could lead to inappropriate grabbing/stomping on the brake... least that's what my MSF instructor said
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:49 PM   #5
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I don't think there is anything more annoying that a mature male speaking in "baby talk" in an instructional video..... <shudder>

I don't cover brakes. If I think there is an issue in traffic flow, I widen the safety space, cover my clutch, and let up on the gas (toning down the aggressiveness of my riding)... until I clear the problem area. Covering the brakes can by an issue. Cover the clutch and that will disengage your engine, then you can start utilizing the brakes to avoid an issue. I've gotten out of more issues with clutch covering, rather than brake covering.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #6
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Do not rest your foot on the rear brake pedal - you may even be dragging the brake the whole time you are riding - wearing out the brake, reducing your gas mileage, etc., and you are probably riding all the time with the rear brake light on, so no one behind you has any warning when you are really braking and slowing.
As you know, most of the stopping power is from the front brake, and unless you're trying to make a panic stop, the rear brake should be used mainly for low speed braking, like just before you stop at a light, or doing slow turning maneuvers. The front brake slows you down fast, the rear brake is for that last little bit of fine control before the complete stop. You have plenty of time to get your foot on the rear brake pedal if you need it, not likely to have to make a panic stop going at a moderate speed up to a light. And you don't want to hit that rear brake hard and get yourself into a slide, or worse. Just keep an eye out around you and loosen up a little, you're too tense.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM   #7
setasai

I agree about NOT covering the rear brake as much as possible but if the pedal is too high, it can still be quite tiring on the ankle. You want to adjust it so that you can manipulate the pedal pressure smoothly.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Thanks all for the input
I don't ride with my rear break engaged, or else my husband who is behind me most of the time would have had a say on that already
I do however have a tendency to cover the rear break on stop and go traffic, lots of lights, stop signs and such. I keep the foot under the break pedal for a relaxed ride most of the time, but if I have a few miles of stop and go, I have a habit of using both the front and the rear to stop, so that's where my foot sits.
I found the way of lowering the pedal a tiny bit for the pre-gens. That should solve the problem

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I agree about NOT covering the rear brake as much as possible but if the pedal is too high, it can still be quite tiring on the ankle. You want to adjust it so that you can manipulate the pedal pressure smoothly.
Yep.. I think it's just too high. I don't notice it much on a regular ride since normally I don't cover that rear break then, but when I have to stop every 100 feet it gets painful.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM   #10
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I always cover my brakes, front and rear. Front is with two fingers. This habit, which I worked very hard to learn to do properly, has saved my ass on more than one occasion. The most memorable was when a teenager made a sudden left turn into a parking lot from the right lane of a three lane one-way road. I was in the middle lane and she was about 1 car length ahead of me. I missed her left rear quarter panel by maybe six inches. If I'd had to take the fraction of a second to move my hand and foot to braking position it would have been a major collision with critical injuries highly likely.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM   #11
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

David Hough in "Proficient Motorcycling" advises to cover the brakes when approaching an intersection or any other time you see a potential situation developing ahead of you that may require a quick stop. The 1/2 second it takes for you to get your fingers and foot on the brakes could take you 20-30 feet farther down the road before you stop, depending on how fast you are going. I believe the MSF teaches pretty much the same thing. They also teach to use both brakes all the time so that in an emergency stop you will automatically use both brakes. So, I believe Rosie is doing it right.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:56 AM   #12
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I lowered my rear brake almost all the way so it was easier to cover. I don't cover it very much still except in low-speed manuevering, but it is still easier to do, and also easier to get my foot over it when I DO need to stop.

ESPECIALLY when it is cold, I try to cover the front brake as much as I can. Stiffer hands + thicker gloves means it could easily take a second or more to actually get my fingers over the lever, which, as stated, could be another like 80 feet at 50mph. When it is warm, I usually just ride with my index finger on the brake lever, more as an index (pun intended) for the location of the brake lever so the rest of my fingers can find it more fluidly, though.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:17 AM   #13
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

For stop and go traffic, I tend to rely mostly on the clutch and just barely any brake to stop completely. There's no need to crowd the vehicle in front so I just creep up until I'm about half a car length.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
David Hough in "Proficient Motorcycling" advises to cover the brakes when approaching an intersection or any other time you see a potential situation developing ahead of you that may require a quick stop. The 1/2 second it takes for you to get your fingers and foot on the brakes could take you 20-30 feet farther down the road before you stop, depending on how fast you are going. I believe the MSF teaches pretty much the same thing. They also teach to use both brakes all the time so that in an emergency stop you will automatically use both brakes. So, I believe Rosie is doing it right.
I read "Proficient Motorcycling" and I remember that part.
I just feel better while approaching intersections and any time I'm in an urban environment to know I can stop quickly if I cover both breaks AND the clutch

Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM   #15
setasai

Dont forget to adjust the tail light trigger too. I love how there is merit to both sides. Cover! Dont Cover! There is a time and place for both techniques. I'm glad we all have each other here to decipher the best combination of techniques. It has really made my learning much faster and most importantly, practical. Sometimes the DMV makes funky rules without the exceptions and it makes no sense. Like the 10 and 2 position on the steering wheel. Yes it's ideal but if you get hit... bam your hands are going to be on a direct trajectory towards your face!

Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #16
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I get terrible knee pain when I ride for any amount of time. I am not that tall, about 5 '10". I don't know if this comes from a weird foot position also.

Any ideas?

Last futzed with by jmgrande; January 3rd, 2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: SP
jmgrande is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM   #17
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
I get terrible knee pain when I ride for any amount of time. I am not that tall, about 5 '10". I don't kmow if this comes from a weird foot position also.

Any ideas?
Is this a pre-existing condition? Does it hurt when you do anything else besides riding? For example, I hurt my right knee hiking 4 years ago and if I don't keep some strength training, it'll hurt if I walk to much or if I end up driving for 5+ hours (used to drive from NorCal to SoCal, highway5 is such a drag).

The foot position caused soreness in the ankle because I need to flex it to reach the pedal or lift the entire leg.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM   #18
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Is this a pre-existing condition? Does it hurt when you do anything else besides riding? For example, I hurt my right knee hiking 4 years ago and if I don't keep some strength training, it'll hurt if I walk to much or if I end up driving for 5+ hours (used to drive from NorCal to SoCal, highway5 is such a drag).

The foot position caused soreness in the ankle because I need to flex it to reach the pedal or lift the entire leg.
No, no previous condition that I know of. I'm only 22 and pretty active. I go to the gym and also stretch often. It only seems to bother me when I ride and only in my right knee. It seems to be a cramping from riding because it goes away later. I was thinking lower or farther back rearsets might be a solution.

Last futzed with by jmgrande; January 3rd, 2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Proof reading FAIL.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #19
setasai

How tall are you? I'm 6ft with most of my height in my legs and I too am considering getting some rearsets since I feel a little cramped but adjusting the pedal has helped tremendously.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM   #20
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
How tall are you? I'm 6ft with most of my height in my legs and I too am considering getting some rearsets since I feel a little cramped but adjusting the pedal has helped tremendously.
I'm 5'10" but not really long legs. In pants I only wear a 30 for length.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #21
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

I was considering these:

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-4403-...-brackets.aspx

But like I said, I don't know if that's my problem. I haven't really heard anyone else having the pain from the riding position.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM   #22
setasai

Quote:
In that case, I'm not sure what might be the case. I'm sure someone else here can provide some insight.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM   #23
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

As maybe was said before, if you do adjust the height of the rear brake lever to fit you better or be more comfortable, don't forget to adjust the rear brake light switch to go on when you apply the brake, as well as not to be on all the time, depending on which way you move the lever.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM   #24
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
You play basketball often? I'm your height and have the same inseam as you and I have those knee issues due to fairly abused knees haha.

I have no specific injury, but years of basketball and martial arts absue have left my knees vulnerable to stupid things like this. Strengthen your legs and this should help keep the knee more stable and "tight" when riding around on the bike. Increasing the strength and size of the muscles around the knee will help dampen vibration...or something.

Just....just do some damn squats.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM   #25
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Dont forget to adjust the tail light trigger too.
huh? how?
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:40 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
huh? how?
its a screw type deal with a nut... screw it in or out more and adjust the nut. otherwise your brakelight wont work for the rear or will always be on

Old July 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM   #27
2.5LGT
ninjette.org member

Name: Gao

Motorcycle(s): 05 xz6r 636, 10' Ninja 250R SE Green (sold)

What is that other bolt?

Untitled.png
2.5LGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:25 PM   #28
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Shouldn't cover the brakes

1. Safety
2. Unwanted use accidentaly

But if you want to adjust so you can cover them then that video works.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #29
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
its a screw type deal with a nut... screw it in or out more and adjust the nut. otherwise your brakelight wont work for the rear or will always be on
any pics to help us noobs out?

Also...do I need a stand to do this or can I just keep it on the kickstand?

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote