ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #1
ambudriver
ninjette.org newbie

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GS500

Pregen vs. Newgen

Hello all, just obtained my Missouri motorcycle permit and will be taking the MSF course around the end of June to license.

I've been searching craigslist and used bike ads for Ninja 250's and have a couple of questions:

Is it worth the extra dough for the newgen vs the pregen for a beginning rider? I would be using the bike mostly for commuting 45 miles over a four lane US highway populated with a large amount of trucks (close to interstate equivalent), and have heard the newgen is more stable in freeway conditions.

Of course, I like the updates but not sure if they're "must haves" vs "nice to haves".

Also, since I've been looking I've seen a vast range of prices here in the midwest. Seems like a "good price" for a pregen with under 5000 miles is around $2200 with the nextgen running from $2500 to $3800 for the same miles. Of course, those are spring prices. Just curious on your opinions as to price as well.

I apologize if all this has been covered, a couple of searches didn't turn up anything directly relevant.

Thanks for the help!
ambudriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #2
kkim

does this help?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10111
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
ambudriver
ninjette.org newbie

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GS500

Absolutely, thanks.
ambudriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I haven't heard that the newgen is more stable then the pregen on the highway.

I have a 1994 ninjette and do 80mph on my commute with no issues. The pregen has a bit more in the top end which helps better suit it for the highway then the newgen. The pregen also does get better gas mileage if that helps any.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #5
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I like the pregen for a variety of reasons, mostly practical. The biggest reason is price for low-mileage used bikes. In many areas a 2006 or 2007 with less than 5K miles can be found for under $2k, and though rare, I've seen them go for $1300-1400. The newgens typically start about $1k higher than that, and $1K buys a lot of gear.

Maintenance-wise I like the pregen because it uses screw valve adjusters. Downside of that is that valves have to be checked every 6K miles compared to the 7.5K mile interval of the newgens. The Newgens use bucket and shim which requires more work to adjust and requires purchasing either loose shims or a shim kit.

Parts availability on the pregens is pretty good, with the significant exception of body parts typically damaged in a crash such as fairings, tank, and upper fairing stay. New replacement costs for the upper fairing is well over $400, same for the tank, and undamaged used parts are rare as hen's teeth and usually priced accordingly for rare, desirable items. Last year I spent 4 months looking for a tank and upper fairing before I lucked into ones priced under $200 each, with only minor damage.

Styling? That's primarily subjective more than anything. Personally I like the single side exhaust of the newgens, but find the "angry stinger in the air/angry ant" look to not be my cup of tea.

My two Abe's worth...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

if the new ones are "more stable" its due to more weight and better midrange (if you're not a speedster) hence better control. the older models can actually gain anything lost with just a sprocket change, which isn't worth $500-$1500 to me. get the "pre-gen" to get into commuting with, as it's better with the upper highway speeds, cheaper to get a taste of traveling on two wheels regularly, less on insurance, cost of accidentals and re-sales. just take it easy, take your time and eventually you'll be immersed or not into it, good luck and happy trails dude.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #7
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I like pregens. Newgens are missing the center stand and get relatively lousy mileage. They are slower on acceleration too. And one headlight is always burned out at the factory which makes it look funny.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #8
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

But...but...the newgens look better!