ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 26th, 2021, 07:45 PM   #1
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Metallic Rotational Whirring Noise - Wheel bearing?

Now that the weather is finally warmer and nicer, I've been cruising more often. If anyone recalls my prior posts about rough idles or hard starts in the cold - I have ZERO issues now that it's 50-70F. Bike fires right up, idle is stable as can be, and it runs beautifully.

Of course it's never that simple, however. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and always pay attention to odd noises or movements. I noticed that at certain speeds - like 15mph or higher, I get a metallic whirring noise that is rotational. Like a rotor hitting the inside of a pad. I'm almost positive it's from the front, so I ordered new pads all around and wheel bearings. When I hit the front brakes hard, the noise stops or diminishes significantly. Any other ideas?

Also, is it normal to hear chain movement when the bike is in motion? When I was going slow to replicate the sound I heard my chain making a ch-ch-ch-ch noise. It appears to be clean and the bike only has 2.2k miles. Worth replacing too?
defaultstivaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2021, 05:20 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
A chain should last many thousand miles, but if it has not been maintained properly or if it's simply defective, it can get tight links that cause it to intermittently get tight on the sprockets. "Appears to be clean" is actually probably not a good thing, since a properly lubricated chain usually looks a bit greasy and dirty.

While stopped on a flat surface with the engine off, feel the chain slack. Then roll the bike a little an feel it again. Do this for ten or 15 feet and see if you find that the clack is not consistent. Also look for links that don't straighten out between the sprockets.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2021, 05:50 PM   #3
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Like Jim said clean is not a good sign. Chain has orings. orings last longer if they are not dry. If they are clean and not covered by some sort of lubricant they dry and crack. The chain then start wearing faster.

Having said that if you have a good musical ear you can possibly hear it. I hear mine and it is within the spec and lube. I hear my bicycles’ chains and they are well maintained - I clean and lube them every 100km or so.

Neglected non lubed bicycle chains can be heard from half a mile away
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2021, 08:05 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibSerge View Post
I clean and lube them every 100km or so.
I agree with all, but about the bicycle chain maintenance... good Lord! I thoroughly clean my bicycle chains with a soak and agitation in mineral spirits, and relube them with a vigorous dip in a mixture of mineral spirits and grease about every 600-800 miles. They last at least 15,000 miles that way. I change them when they get more than about 1/16" (1.5mm) longer than new in a 12" (30 cm) length.

If I used your maintenance schedule I'd be doing this every four days!

Old March 28th, 2021, 02:15 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If it's coming from the front and it's not the brakes, the speedo drive / cable can sometimes get noisy as you've described. Make sure that it's aligned properly, and a light spray of lube couldn't hurt.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2021, 06:11 AM   #6
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I agree with all, but about the bicycle chain maintenance... good Lord! I thoroughly clean my bicycle chains with a soak and agitation in mineral spirits, and relube them with a vigorous dip in a mixture of mineral spirits and grease about every 600-800 miles. They last at least 15,000 miles that way. I change them when they get more than about 1/16" (1.5mm) longer than new in a 12" (30 cm) length.

If I used your maintenance schedule I'd be doing this every four days!
Jim do you have a single speed ? Pre covid times I used to commute to work 35km one way 3 times a week on a 2 by 7. I was cleaning/lubing them after two days of commute. I was not going to the extent you are going, however. I was just wiping it with a rug soaked in kerosene then let it evaporate over night and used sometimes wet sometimes dry lube. My chains lasted about 2.5-3k km (10 CAD PC830). I am retiring them at 0.75mm however.

If I was busy and skipped the lubing I could hear the chain «*singing*» on the 3rd day coming back home.

Single speed chain on my sons bike I lubed for the first time only after about 300km and it was still ok.

Old March 28th, 2021, 06:39 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibSerge View Post
Jim do you have a single speed ? Pre covid times I used to commute to work 35km one way 3 times a week on a 2 by 7. I was cleaning/lubing them after two days of commute. I was not going to the extent you are going, however. I was just wiping it with a rug soaked in kerosene then let it evaporate over night and used sometimes wet sometimes dry lube. My chains lasted about 2.5-3k km (10 CAD PC830). I am retiring them at 0.75mm however.
No, it's a 20 speed. I don't like to wipe a chain because it forces dirt between the side plates. Over the decades I've found that my wear limit of 1.5mm prevents excessive wear to the sprockets. I run the chains in pairs, cleaning one while riding the other one, and change the rear cogs when the chains are worn out, which for two chains is about 30,000 miles. I don't remember ever wearing out a Campy chainring.

[/hijack]

Old March 28th, 2021, 07:46 AM   #8
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No, it's a 20 speed. I don't like to wipe a chain because it forces dirt between the side plates. Over the decades I've found that my wear limit of 1.5mm prevents excessive wear to the sprockets. I run the chains in pairs, cleaning one while riding the other one, and change the rear cogs when the chains are worn out, which for two chains is about 30,000 miles. I don't remember ever wearing out a Campy chainring.

[/hijack]
Ill need to try your approach !

Old March 29th, 2021, 07:32 PM   #9
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

I bought front and rear pads on Ebay the other day for $12. Yes, the whole set for $12, lol. And they're half decent semi-metallic. They came in today, and I did it myself in 15 min. Regreased the slide pins upon entry, and cleaned calipers w/ brake cleaner.

So far the stopping power is much better - even for 2.3k miles the rears were very low. And, from what I can tell / hear, the noise seems to be gone! Hopefully it stays this way, and it was just a pad getting stuck on something.

As for the chain, I keep it clean, its 100% NOT dry, and I use special chain lube every so often. It makes a typical chain noise, but I was just trying to figure out what was normal or not.

Old March 30th, 2021, 05:38 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultstivaper View Post
even for 2.3k miles the rears were very low.
Something is very wrong if your wore out rear pads in 2,300 miles! I don't even use my rear brake much. Is it possible when you're resting your foot on the peg it's pressing on the brake lever so it's dragging while you're riding? If not, then try to find what could be causing the problem.

Old March 30th, 2021, 05:47 AM   #11
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Something is very wrong if your wore out rear pads in 2,300 miles! I don't even use my rear brake much. Is it possible when you're resting your foot on the peg it's pressing on the brake lever so it's dragging while you're riding? If not, then try to find what could be causing the problem.
A lot of low speed maneuvering may be ? learners bike, lots of parking lot riding ? Dragging to keep the chain tensioned. Just my guess

Old March 30th, 2021, 06:43 AM   #12
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I obtained the bike at 2k miles and by that time it already had 2 owners. I could tell it was cosmetically well kept, but the prior owner knew literally nothing about mechanics, probably riding too. I personally use the front brake more than the rear. I try to alternate though. Hard stops I use both.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 30th, 2021, 08:50 AM   #13
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultstivaper View Post
I obtained the bike at 2k miles and by that time it already had 2 owners. I could tell it was cosmetically well kept, but the prior owner knew literally nothing about mechanics, probably riding too. I personally use the front brake more than the rear. I try to alternate though. Hard stops I use both.
Did you check the pad thickness? Could be just sticky pins due to a lack of lubrication. Low milage bike sitting alot.

Old April 3rd, 2021, 12:36 PM   #14
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 400 / CBR600

Is the noise you’re experiencing anything like this?
https://youtu.be/ZfjC1WquFqY
Whitedogpoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2021, 02:58 PM   #15
defaultstivaper
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedogpoo View Post
Is the noise you’re experiencing anything like this?
https://youtu.be/ZfjC1WquFqY
No, it was more of a metal on metal whirring / rotational noise. Exactly like a pad clipping a rotor.

I did front + rear pads myself, and then took my bike today for new tire installation. Bought Michelin Pilot Street Sports on Ebay for $145 for both tires, so a pretty good deal there. $190 for installation w/ front and rear wheel bearings also installed.

So, after the new brakes, tires, and wheel bearings front and rear, the sound is gone. My mechanic did mention the front wheel bearings had a spot of rust, which he showed me, so maybe that was it. But I noticed the noise went away almost entirely after I did the brakes + greased the slide pins.

Old April 4th, 2021, 04:09 AM   #16
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 400 / CBR600

Good to hear you seem to have got it sorted! Never actually found the cause with my noise... tried everything I could think of and everything that was suggested on here. Finally gave in and booked it in to a workshop to look at it, but when I took it down there, had no noise whatsoever, so they couldn’t investigate. Been fine ever since!
Whitedogpoo is offline   Reply With Quote