ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 28th, 2021, 10:29 AM   #1
Christie5
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Christie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki ninja ex250f

Please help

I bought a ninja without paperwork. And the engine was swapped now I can’t find the engine number on this motor to get it registered. What can I do. Thanks for any help I can get.
Christie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2021, 10:45 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie5 View Post
I bought a ninja without paperwork. And the engine was swapped now I can’t find the engine number on this motor to get it registered. What can I do. Thanks for any help I can get.
Most of the time the DMV will want the frame number (VIN) for registration - and not the engine number.

The VIN is stamped on the side of the steering head, between the triple clamps.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2021, 11:00 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's on top of the transmission on a flat area. If you look from where the clutch cable goes in, toward the centerline of the engine/trans you'll see it. With some motorcycles, factory replacement engines have no serial number stamped. If that's the case you'll find the flat boss where it would be, but nothing on it.

There's also an entry in the Wiki about it: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Engine...of_manufacture

Good luck Christie. I'm sure no matter what, someone at the DMV will be able to help you get it registered. Here in NC it's not terribly hard to get a title and registration on a vehicle without paperwork, but we have to get a title bond, that that costs $100 that you pay to the bond company in addition to what you pay the state.

And welcome to the board!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2021, 01:46 PM   #4
PaleHorse
Moto Nut

Name: Yes, I have one

Motorcycle(s): Harley Davidson Road King, Yamaha FZ1, 92 Ninja 250, 95 Ninja 250

In California, the engine number is on the title as well as the Vin. I picked up an ex racebike that I have put everything back on to make it street legal and am trying to get the title transferred and registered in CA.

I did not bring up that the engine numbers on my bike do not match the title. Mine came with 2 and neither of them match the paperwork. In order to correct this, you will need to fill out a "statement of facts" at the DMV. They will most likely check with Sacramento to make sure the engine that was swapped in is not stolen. It might be a good idea to call the Sacramento office and tell them you are thinking of buying that motor and want to know if there is any history on it. If you show up and the number is ran and there is anything nefarious it would put you in the middle of a bad situation.

I had to get the local DMV office manager involved when I did the paperwork for mine. I walked out with registration and tags and am now waiting for the new title to show up. Think I have about a 50/50 chance of it getting through Sacramento without them asking for more information.
PaleHorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2021, 09:25 PM   #5
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Great help, way to go