ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Safety group urges highway agency to require anti-lock brakes on new motorcycles

By Ashley Halsey III...Washington Post
Friday, May 7, 2010

Citing research showing that fatal motorcycle accidents could be reduced by more than a third, an insurance industry group has asked for a federal mandate to require anti-lock brakes on all new motorcycles.

Until last year, the number of motorcycle fatalities had steadily increased, reaching a record 5,290 two years ago. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which can draw on accident reports from the insurance companies that support it, asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Thursday to require that new motorbikes be equipped with the brakes.

"Traveling on two wheels instead of four is always riskier, but our new research shows that anti-lock brake technology can make motorcycle riding a much safer way to get around," Adrian Lund, president of the institute, said.

Concern about the added cost -- estimated by motorcycle industry sources at more than $1,000 a bike -- and other issues made motorcycle groups reluctant to embrace a mandate. In a statement, the American Motorcyclist Association endorsed making the brakes an option on more models than manufacturers offer but said they are "not a panacea."

"There are situations when [anti-lock brakes] can increase the risk of a crash, such as when riding an off-highway motorcycle on a trail, or when riding an on-highway or dual-sport motorcycle on a dirt or gravel road," the group said.

Unlike automobile brakes, which respond to a single pedal, a motorcycle has independently controlled front and rear brakes. In some off-road situations, a rider might intentionally clamp down on the rear brake to correct direction if the bike swerves in deep mud or gravel.

With anti-lock brakes, pressure is evaluated several times a second so that the motorcycle avoids stopping so abruptly that the rider loses control.

Insurance institute researchers found that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes were 37 percent less likely to be involved in fatal crashes. Another study determined that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes had 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year than the same models without them.

Lund said the two reports provided "compelling evidence that anti-locks reduce fatal crash risk and lower insurance losses. NHTSA has what it needs to move forward with a regulation."
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I had anti lock brakes on my VFR . They will save you life .

Don't even try to think you can out brake a bike with antilock brakes .Even if you could and even Valentino Rossi cant . Ask yourself this .Can you do it every time?
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I want the ability to choose whether or not I buy something with ABS. I'm getting really tired or people trying to save me from myself!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #4
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

They should insist people learn how to use the bike before they are licensed to use it.

ABS is not the solution, with cars they now find people don't lock up but instead they don't press the pedal hard enough, no new cars have EBA (Electronic Brake Assist) where the car pushes the pedal harder for you if it think that's what you intended.

The rider is always the weakest point, instead of substituting him/her why not bring him/her up to the job.

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

This will make all the new bikes heavier and cost more.

Just think of the time engineers are going to have implementing this into a ninja 250. Poor guys.

..Engineer for hire..

Obama will say it created new jobs when he signs the bill.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I want the ability to choose whether or not I buy something with ABS. I'm getting really tired or people trying to save me from myself!
Although the new Honda ABS system is quite impressive, I do not need another government mandate regarding my safety. Ontario is already dangerously close to becoming a "mini-Britain". I have a feeling it won't be long before this BS passes up here.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Maybe it's a "insider" plot to get the American public to buy certain "brands" and "types" of motorcycles?

I could probably list the current brands/models that have ABS as standard equipment with my hands.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I see fail written all over this. Heck they don't require cars to have ABS, so why would the government require it for motorcycles?

Quote:
Insurance institute researchers found that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes were 37 percent less likely to be involved in fatal crashes.
Of course this is true. Because many people who purchase bikes with ABS are not running them hard. I'm talking about the Concours, Goldwing, etc. Well DUH!!! Amazing how they slant information to benefit their cause.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

So the insurance industry wants it, are my rates going to be lower on an ABS bike? Not an a CBR600RR, I had it quoted by my insurer (Progressive). The premium was the same with or w/o ABS. If ABS is safer I asked then why is the premium the same. Well because the ABS bike costs more. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Now the CBR is available with ABS but not with a slipper clutch. A slipper clutch reduces rear wheel hop/lockup under downshifting. Will that be mandated? I think the Honda C-ABS system is quite the thing, but if you mandate everything, as someone pointed out above it will be tough for the engineers to do, but they will do it, and we will pay the price in higher bike prices.

Last futzed with by backinthesaddleagain; May 7th, 2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typos - hey took yesterday off it was beatiful and i rode!!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

HAHAHA YEAH.....oh my bike as states of the art ABS...what are these? Oh they're carburators..why you ask?

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdajackal View Post
They should insist people learn how to use the bike before they are licensed to use it.

ABS is not the solution, with cars they now find people don't lock up but instead they don't press the pedal hard enough, no new cars have EBA (Electronic Brake Assist) where the car pushes the pedal harder for you if it think that's what you intended.

The rider is always the weakest point, instead of substituting him/her why not bring him/her up to the job.
I am a big fan of new technology that can make our lives easier but you do have a point. If this trend continues then one day we will no longer be able to drive our cars, instead we will just be passengers and the car will do the driving for us. Heck there are cars out that will park themselves because no one teaches the art of parallel parking.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #12
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

ABS isn't required for cars and I'm sure that there are similar statistics about how much safety would improve if ABS were required on them too. More technology is a poor substitute for better driver training.

It is interesting that ABS is an option on a number of current sport bikes such as the Honda CBR600RR. The reviews I've seen remark on how well the ABS has been adapted for a sport bike.

Don't forget that ABS is still a developing technology. Different manufacturers are coming out with newer, better solutions all of the time.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #13
bobguy
ninjette.org member

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Well, we KNOW they are right about it saving 1/3 of motorcycle accidents...after all they cited a "study"

all it takes these days for a new gov mandate is a new "study" and a gullible electorate.

Seriously though I think they'd be great for people who want that, but forcing this in the name a safety is not the proper role of government. Or did I forget about a constitutional amendment that mandates the government make life 100% safe....?

Old May 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguy View Post
Well, we KNOW they are right about it saving 1/3 of motorcycle accidents...after all they cited a "study"

all it takes these days for a new gov mandate is a new "study" and a gullible electorate.

Seriously though I think they'd be great for people who want that, but forcing this in the name a safety is not the proper role of government. Or did I forget about a constitutional amendment that mandates the government make life 100% safe....?
from wikipedia "According to supporters of government, the fundamental purpose of government is the maintenance of basic security and public order."

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #15
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Most of the experienced riders I chat with who have ABS on their current bikes seem to swear by it. Some have gone so far as to say they'd never buy another bike without it. How much cost/weight would it add to something like the N250?

Old May 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #16
bobguy
ninjette.org member

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
from wikipedia "According to supporters of government, the fundamental purpose of government is the maintenance of basic security and public order."

"According to wikipedia"....wikipeida is an excellent place for people to compile and share their collective ignorance. This is why people don't cite wikipedia in academic writing.

Still "basic security" isn't the same thing as "safety". Also this quote is "according to supporters of government"...you might have guessed I'm probably not in that box. And again "wikipedia says so" doesn't constitute an legit argument to me...just saying. I am deeply saddened to see Wikipedia consulted for inquires about the purpose of government. Come to think of it...I wouldn't be surprised if the "study" was from wikipedia.

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #17
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
^^^ Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read. You have to take every thing with a grain of salt and decide for yourself.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #18
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I just love studies. Years ago they had a study that concluded that people tend to repeat things that give them pleasure. Duh! I`m sure that someone ( the Government) paid big bucks to come up with this earth shattering result. Give me a break!
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #19
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguy View Post

"According to wikipedia"....wikipeida is an excellent place for people to compile and share their collective ignorance. This is why people don't cite wikipedia in academic writing.

Still "basic security" isn't the same thing as "safety". Also this quote is "according to supporters of government"...you might have guessed I'm probably not in that box. And again "wikipedia says so" doesn't constitute an legit argument to me...just saying. I am deeply saddened to see Wikipedia consulted for inquires about the purpose of government. Come to think of it...I wouldn't be surprised if the "study" was from wikipedia.
Well I did quote it was from wikipedia for the purpose of you to reach your own conclusion

Old May 8th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
...Another study determined that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes had 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year than the same models without them...
"Could it be that the kind of person who pays extra for ABS is going to be more safety-conscious and drive safer and take fewer risks in other areas? NAH!"
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote