ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 4th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - Motocross Champion Mike 'The Rock' LaRocco indu

AMA Motocross Champion Mike"The Rock" LaRocco has been elected to the AMA Motorcycle Hall OfFame Class of 2014.

LaRocco, who was elected to the Motocross/Supercross category, will be inductedat the 2014 AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Oct. 17, in Orlando,Fla. The induction ceremony is part of the AMA National Convention being heldin conjunction with the American International Motorcycle Expo (AIMExpo) Oct.16-19. Tickets for the convention and the induction ceremony go on sale soon.Check back at www.motorcyclemuseum.org forupdates.

"Mike LaRocco was a tough competitor who gave it his all every time he goton the track," said Ken Ford, a member of the Hall of Fame executivecommittee and treasurer of the AMA board of directors. "He was a huge fanfavorite throughout his 19-year professional career."

LaRocco said he was honored to be included in the Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

"You know, when I was racing, I was very focused on the competition, andthe fan thing was a distraction," LaRocco said. "But now, lookingback, I recognize how important the fans are in making all this possible. And Iappreciate the support they gave me."

LaRocco is the fifth member of the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame class of 2014 tobe announced. He joins previously announced inductees motocross pioneer PierreKarsmakers; Tom White, acclaimed racer and founder of White Brothers CycleSpecialties; George Barber, founder of the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum andthe Barber Motorsports Park; and national off-road racing champion ScottSummers.

The remaining 2014 inductees will be announced in random order in the comingweeks.

LaRocco began his professional racing career in 1988 at age 17 and retired in2006 as the elder statesman on the circuit, totaling 228 Supercross starts.Along the way he collected AMA Motocross championships in the 1993 AMA 500National Motocross Series and the 1994 AMA 250 National Motocross Series racingfor Team Kawasaki. He also won the 2000 FIM Supercross World Championship.

"I used to be the guy who gave it everything I had every time I raced,through the whole race," LaRocco said. "That was what made mesuccessful -- that I was always pushing myself for the entire race."

GEICO Honda Team Manager Mike LaRocco advises rider Zach Bell. Photo: GEICO Honda/Simon Cudby

LaRocco won Supercross races in three decades in two classes, 125cc and 250cc.He said the 1994 AMA 250 Motocross National Championship meant the most to him.

"At that time in my career, everything was going so smoothly, I felt likeall my hard work had paid off," he said.

His retirement in 2006 came after a broken wrist made him question his futurein the sport.

"I wanted to stay healthy," LaRocco said. "I found that I wasnot willing to take the same risks that the people who were winning weretaking. Without the opportunity to win, my motivation just wasn't there."

Since 2010, LaRocco has managed the GEICO Honda Supercross/Motocross Team,which has won a title each year he has been involved.

"After I retired, I took a couple of years off," LaRocco said."But I was close to the guys who run this team, and it was a good fit. Ilearned a lot over my career, and I felt I had something to share."

AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famers are selected through a nomination and votingprocedure that includes ballots cast by living Hall of Fame members, members ofthe American Motorcyclist Association and AMHF boards of directors, and membersof, and advisers to, the Hall of Fame category committees.

To nominate a future Hall of Famer, visit www.motorcyclemuseum.org/induction.

Click here for full story...