ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos Spicy Wiener

Motorcycle(s): Too many

Lightbulb Correct Body/Foot Position(s)

Can anyone describe or send pictures of the correct riding position(s) for daily commuter-type riding and for tucked in riding? I wonder if I am sitting too upright or if I am too hunched over while commuting/daily riding. When it has been really cold or windy, I have done my own form of "tucking in," where I literally lay on the tank, but I feel like I must be doing it wrong or I look like a total jack wagon. After reading Twist of the Wrist, I have been making a concerted effort to ensure my arms are relaxed and I am taking weight off the bars by gripping the tank with my knees, but I still don't know what to do with my body.

Separately, during the BRC and for a couple of my first weeks riding, I would rest on the pegs on the balls of my feet when I wasn't shifting or braking. This meant I had to move my feet every time I wanted to shift/brake. I have since tried to find a spot where I merely rotate my foot around the shifter/brake lever, but this means my foot rests more on the arch. Is this wrong? I feel like resting on the balls of my feet allowed me to control the bike more, but who knows.

For your reference, I am not running rear sets or clip ons, so my feet and arms are in the stock positions they would be on the Ninjette. Any help is greatly appreciated . Thanks!
Boomstick1491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs when im not shifting or braking, but will put my foot on the shifter or brake when i no i will need it. If something runs out in front of you u are going to use your front brake first so you will already be slowing down and have some very small extra time to get your feet to their levers.

As for riding position just do what is comfortable. I ride upright in 65+ degree weather and there is no wind hitting me. When the wind does start hitting me i go into a little tuck. I recently found that putting my left arm across my tank and putting most of my weight on it will not only get me out of the wind but also make it more comfortable to be in a tuck. For cold weather i love hugging the tank
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs when im not shifting or braking, but will put my foot on the shifter or brake when i no i will need it. If something runs out in front of you u are going to use your front brake first so you will already be slowing down and have some very small extra time to get your feet to their levers.

As for riding position just do what is comfortable. I ride upright in 65+ degree weather and there is no wind hitting me. When the wind does start hitting me i go into a little tuck. I recently found that putting my left arm across my tank and putting most of my weight on it will not only get me out of the wind but also make it more comfortable to be in a tuck. For cold weather i love hugging the tank
Are you suggesting I am over thinking this?

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick1491 View Post
I should think so...just ride in a position that provides you with comfort and allows you complete control of the bike. I ride semi tucked or tucked regardless of the weather or speed (don't see why I have to ride a sport bike like I'm riding a harley) but I also have rearset adjusters and my clipons are on their way, you should experiment and stick to what feels natural.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
but I also have rearset adjusters and my clipons are on their way, you should experiment and stick to what feels natural.
I went this same route because I wanted a more aggressive feel and found it surprisingly comfortable. I'm not a tall guy (6' 0") but I found that the rearset adjuster on their lower setting put my knees right under the lip of the tank for a good grip.
DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinWolfe View Post
I went this same route because I wanted a more aggressive feel and found it surprisingly comfortable. I'm not a tall guy (6' 0") but I found that the rearset adjuster on their lower setting put my knees right under the lip of the tank for a good grip.
I have given some thought to doing this too, but cannot really justify the cost. Maybe someday, but I think my Ninjette will probably remain stock.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
Can anyone describe or send pictures of the correct riding position(s) for daily commuter-type riding and for tucked in riding? I wonder if I am sitting too upright or if I am too hunched over while commuting/daily riding. When it has been really cold or windy, I have done my own form of "tucking in," where I literally lay on the tank, but I feel like I must be doing it wrong or I look like a total jack wagon. After reading Twist of the Wrist, I have been making a concerted effort to ensure my arms are relaxed and I am taking weight off the bars by gripping the tank with my knees, but I still don't know what to do with my body.

Separately, during the BRC and for a couple of my first weeks riding, I would rest on the pegs on the balls of my feet when I wasn't shifting or braking. This meant I had to move my feet every time I wanted to shift/brake. I have since tried to find a spot where I merely rotate my foot around the shifter/brake lever, but this means my foot rests more on the arch. Is this wrong? I feel like resting on the balls of my feet allowed me to control the bike more, but who knows.

For your reference, I am not running rear sets or clip ons, so my feet and arms are in the stock positions they would be on the Ninjette. Any help is greatly appreciated . Thanks!
It sounds like you have a great foundation with the BRC and Mr. Code's work. (I am quite a fan - and recommend the movies of Twist of the Wrist I and II if you're a visual learner like me!). Please note, I am a beginner rider, but I've done a lot of reading and learning and hope this helps [and I am on the right track!] Correct me if I am wrong...

You want to rest the balls of your feet on the pegs. For me, this tucks my knees in so I am hugging the tank with my legs and not hanging on the bars. Also, if you need to stand up (clear an obstacle, etc) your legs are ready and best braced to be shock absorbers. Moving your feet is fine and I believe is the proper technique. If you google Motogp and search imagines, you'll see that's the technique they're using.

With your legs braced and locked into the tank, you keep your back straight using your core to support your torso. This should not only keep your wrists flat on the bar, but by keeping them level you get 100% of your input to steering. And you have your head and eyes up which you learned in your BRC.

For tucking in, I would believe you would slide a bit back in the seat (away from the tank). This would lower your torso against the tank, keep your wrists flat, and keep the balls of your feet on your pegs.

A trick I learned to keep your arms loose, every so often flap them like a chicken. It seems silly, but it does keep them loose.
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
It sounds like you have a great foundation with the BRC and Mr. Code's work. (I am quite a fan - and recommend the movies of Twist of the Wrist I and II if you're a visual learner like me!). Please note, I am a beginner rider, but I've done a lot of reading and learning and hope this helps [and I am on the right track!] Correct me if I am wrong...

You want to rest the balls of your feet on the pegs. For me, this tucks my knees in so I am hugging the tank with my legs and not hanging on the bars. Also, if you need to stand up (clear an obstacle, etc) your legs are ready and best braced to be shock absorbers. Moving your feet is fine and I believe is the proper technique. If you google Motogp and search imagines, you'll see that's the technique they're using.

With your legs braced and locked into the tank, you keep your back straight using your core to support your torso. This should not only keep your wrists flat on the bar, but by keeping them level you get 100% of your input to steering. And you have your head and eyes up which you learned in your BRC.

For tucking in, I would believe you would slide a bit back in the seat (away from the tank). This would lower your torso against the tank, keep your wrists flat, and keep the balls of your feet on your pegs.

A trick I learned to keep your arms loose, every so often flap them like a chicken. It seems silly, but it does keep them loose.
Thanks Brian! I think you make a lot of good points, so I assume you're on the right track. I was behind a dude (though I thought it was a woman, since he was so lithe) on a Monster this afternoon and I consciously watched his left foot as he pulled away. He was definitely moving it to get his toe under the shift lever and then reorienting the foot, so it rested on the peg comfortably. I will go back to that tomorrow.

As for Code's book, I have to respectfully disagree. I know that is tantamount to sacrilege on most forums, since he's revered, but I think the writing style is horrible. I have even thought of starting a thread to specifically address how poorly I think the book is written. Admittedly, he makes good points, but the definition of pedestrian terms is absolutely idiotic (e.g. "e.g." - yes, he actually defines e.g.. How does that add any value to a book on performance motorcycle riding? Where does he draw the line on commonplace words he chooses to define versus those he chooses to ignore?). Further, some of the chapters simply amount to him saying "do this" without any description of HOW one is to do the thing he mentions. I cite, for example, Chapter 18 (The Three Tools of Turning). Again, the points are good when he makes them, but I think there is too much filler and not enough substance.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #9
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
As for Code's book, I have to respectfully disagree. I know that is tantamount to sacrilege on most forums, since he's revered, but I think the writing style is horrible. I have even thought of starting a thread to specifically address how poorly I think the book is written. Admittedly, he makes good points, but the definition of pedestrian terms is absolutely idiotic (e.g. "e.g." - yes, he actually defines e.g.. How does that add any value to a book on performance motorcycle riding? Where does he draw the line on commonplace words he chooses to define versus those he chooses to ignore?). Further, some of the chapters simply amount to him saying "do this" without any description of HOW one is to do the thing he mentions. I cite, for example, Chapter 18 (The Three Tools of Turning). Again, the points are good when he makes them, but I think there is too much filler and not enough substance.
You know, I will respect and probably agree with that. I haven't ready TOTW I, only seen the video form and that was prior to riding. I have read TOTW II and will say everything is so brief - it can leave you asking a lot of questions. Again, I think the videos help because you're seeing it all, IMHO. However despite maybe not being Hemmingway, I still would love Code as a personal mentor

If you're looking for a good book, might I suggest Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough? This book is from the approach of street riding which is much more practical for where I (and many others) are at in their riding career. It goes greatly in depth and I would say is exponentially better written than Code's stuff.

Sorry to detract from your original question. I think the fact you are thinking about it and questioning it means you're doing the right thing. Never be satisfied with your riding ability.
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
You know, I will respect and probably agree with that. I haven't ready TOTW I, only seen the video form and that was prior to riding. I have read TOTW II and will say everything is so brief - it can leave you asking a lot of questions. Again, I think the videos help because you're seeing it all, IMHO. However despite maybe not being Hemmingway, I still would love Code as a personal mentor

If you're looking for a good book, might I suggest Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough? This book is from the approach of street riding which is much more practical for where I (and many others) are at in their riding career. It goes greatly in depth and I would say is exponentially better written than Code's stuff.

Sorry to detract from your original question. I think the fact you are thinking about it and questioning it means you're doing the right thing. Never be satisfied with your riding ability.
I too have not read TOTW I, only number II. I had no idea TOTW I was more detailed. I assumed II was just an updated version of I. Perhaps I was mistaken. Regardless of the tangent we have taken from my original post, I definitely appreciate the book recommendation.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
no sir im just giving my 2 cents on the topic
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i jacked up my calf a little while ago so lately i like to have my feet on the pegs more in the center. when leaned over the inside foot goes tippy toes and the outside stays on the center. i think spies does it that way.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:26 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I think you may be approaching this with too rigid a mindset… as if there is ONE "correct" position and you need to strike some sort of pose.

Not so. Do what is comfortable, period.

Personally I move around all the time, to keep from getting sore. I ride the bike like a jockey rides a racehorse… weight off my tailbone and on my thighs. It's much more comfortable over the long haul.

For tucking, I slide my butt back as far as it will go and get as low as I can… chest on the tank is good. I normally have a tank bag, so it's chest on that most of the time. The limiting factor is being able to see the road… a bit of a challenge for me since I wear glasses and have to deal with the frames getting into my line of sight.

I tuck all the time at speed to cut fuel consumption. When traffic slows I'll sit up… partly to help slow the bike but mostly to alert the cagers behind me that something's up.

For riding upright, the key is relaxing your arms. You really should have almost no weight on your hands.

Put your feet where they're comfortable. Having to reposition your foot is no sin… you do it every time you move from accelerator to brake when you drive, so what's the big deal?

Bottom line… interaction with the bike is a dynamic thing, constantly changing. Sometimes I'm tucked, sometimes I'm upright, sometimes it's in between. Sometimes my weight is more on my feet, sometimes more on my thighs, sometimes more on my butt.

+10 on the rearset adjusters. They're not that expensive.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I think you may be approaching this with too rigid a mindset… as if there is ONE "correct" position and you need to strike some sort of pose.

Not so. Do what is comfortable, period.

Personally I move around all the time, to keep from getting sore. I ride the bike like a jockey rides a racehorse… weight off my tailbone and on my thighs. It's much more comfortable over the long haul.

For tucking, I slide my butt back as far as it will go and get as low as I can… chest on the tank is good. I normally have a tank bag, so it's chest on that most of the time. The limiting factor is being able to see the road… a bit of a challenge for me since I wear glasses and have to deal with the frames getting into my line of sight.

I tuck all the time at speed to cut fuel consumption. When traffic slows I'll sit up… partly to help slow the bike but mostly to alert the cagers behind me that something's up.

For riding upright, the key is relaxing your arms. You really should have almost no weight on your hands.

Put your feet where they're comfortable. Having to reposition your foot is no sin… you do it every time you move from accelerator to brake when you drive, so what's the big deal?

Bottom line… interaction with the bike is a dynamic thing, constantly changing. Sometimes I'm tucked, sometimes I'm upright, sometimes it's in between. Sometimes my weight is more on my feet, sometimes more on my thighs, sometimes more on my butt.

+10 on the rearset adjusters. They're not that expensive.
I think I intuitively knew I should move my feet and body around, which is why I was doing that right after learning to ride (well, I am definitely still learning). I was more concerned that I was upsetting the bike by all the movement and that I looked like a total dbag. I am sure I still look like the latter, but it's good to know I am not bothering the Ninjette in the process. Good post, thanks for the reply!

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM   #15
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Quote:
... and that I looked like a total dbag. I am sure I still look like the latter, ...
Your on a motorcycle, ergo, you look cool. ;-)
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrunch View Post
Your on a motorcycle, ergo, you look cool. ;-)
Ummmm…. maybe not.

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:03 PM   #17
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Ummmm…. maybe not.
To be fair, they* probably look cooler than if they *were not* on a motorcycle.

*i'm going to error on the side that the passenger is female. Hard to say, i know.

lol
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Actually, I think they're on a trike or some kind of dually-equipped bike. There is no chance that much chub is supported by two wheels.