ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1
J>A>V
ninjette.org member

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Valve adjusting and Oil filter change

Does anyone know any good links that are easy to follow that can help with adjusting valves or changing oil filters? Please let me know!
J>A>V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #2
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

there's a good FAQ

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Engine
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Name: Alfredo

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 f4i, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

There are a couple youtube videos of people doing valve adjustments on the 86-07 ninjas. It's actually not all that hard.

I would suggest though that you buy the kawasaki valve adjust tool. It can be done without the tool, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass.

Tools that I'd suggest you get before even trying:

Socket set, metric in 3/4 drive, and at least one 4-6" extension.

Allen wrench / hex key set metric

phillips screwdriver, preferably a long one about 6"-8"

feeler gauges that have a .006, .007, and .008 inch measurements... longer ones, 6"+ that have a angle end are very helpful. If you can get your hands on a set of "go or no go" / stepped feeler gauges those are super helpful. '

torque wrench that measures torque in inch-pounds

nitrile gloves

1 quarter...

I have a valve adjustment coming up, so I might make a video of it and post the vid on youtube or something. I have found a couple okay ones, but not a good detailed one.

any questions on it, feel free to PM me..
AlfredoGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:34 AM   #4
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

The most important piece of advice is to be sure not to overtorque the rocker adjustment nuts. They are small and don't seem like they are that important, but if you overtorque one, and it breaks, the engine WILL be destroyed. Its already happened numerous times. The only cure is to rebuild or replace the engine. Both will cost about $500-$600.

Old January 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #5
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredoGonzalez View Post
I would suggest though that you buy the kawasaki valve adjust tool. It can be done without the tool, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass.
^^ THIS.

For the first time you might wanna take your radiator off. You're gonna have to come close to taking it off anyways and this way you will be certain you're doing the adjustment right.
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #6
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
^^ THIS.

For the first time you might wanna take your radiator off. You're gonna have to come close to taking it off anyways and this way you will be certain you're doing the adjustment right.
I'm pretty sure this is what you're implying by that quote.

When I do my valve adjust I leave the radiator on, I just kind of push it out of the way. Sometimes I'll even use a bungee cord to hold it away from the top of the engine. I have yet to take it off. I am going to attempt a flush of the fluid soon though.

I'm making my valve adjust video in the next few days with help from a friend who does film production in college so hopefully it will turn out pretty good. I'll be sure to try to throw in that little tidbit about taking it off completely as an idea.

Old January 6th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is what you're implying by that quote.

When I do my valve adjust I leave the radiator on, I just kind of push it out of the way. Sometimes I'll even use a bungee cord to hold it away from the top of the engine. I have yet to take it off. I am going to attempt a flush of the fluid soon though.

I'm making my valve adjust video in the next few days with help from a friend who does film production in college so hopefully it will turn out pretty good. I'll be sure to try to throw in that little tidbit about taking it off completely as an idea.
Awesome! try to be clear and very thorough! I think my bike needs an adjustment too and I'm going to try myself so I'll be watching your video!!
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #8
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
Awesome! try to be clear and very thorough! I think my bike needs an adjustment too and I'm going to try myself so I'll be watching your video!!
I'm filming my video today. I'm not sure on the exact time frame that my friend has for editing it. If it's unknown, then I'll have him leave the footage with me and I'll edit it on my own.

I'm also doing a video on the oil change too.

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
I'm filming my video today. I'm not sure on the exact time frame that my friend has for editing it. If it's unknown, then I'll have him leave the footage with me and I'll edit it on my own.

I'm also doing a video on the oil change too.
If you want, you could upload a private link and we could critique it so that you could make changes before making it public. Also, don't forget to mention the part about overtorquing the adjustment nuts and what will happen to the engine if they do.

Old January 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #10
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
If you want, you could upload a private link and we could critique it so that you could make changes before making it public. Also, don't forget to mention the part about overtorquing the adjustment nuts and what will happen to the engine if they do.
I mentioned while doing it that you should not overtorque them. I even went and used my torque wrench to torque each of the tappet nuts down.

I still am going to do a post-repair video about some smaller details that I have noticed on this forum.