ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Name: Susan

Motorcycle(s): Gix

Project: Vapor Mod

Hi!

Putting my project and daily driver in here... been having some fun with her.

I got the bike, then cleaned it up and washed it down some...

First thing after that, I removed all the fairings.

Look at all that lose material in the back..

So I stripped down the entire harness...

Recut and resoldered every wire...

Then I had this, after cutting some brackets off!

Arizona is so pretty... added a muzzy full system (traded for free!)

Then the latest pictures...

And tonight, I cut the frame! Pictures up when I'm done. ^_^
Erin_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Nice project.
Looks like something out of the Mad Max movies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200px-MadMazAus.jpg (14.9 KB, 5 views)
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

As promised, a new picture! Frame el choppo!

Anyone have any good ideas for weighing a bike? I've weighed her tonight twice, board on one side, scale on the other... I got wildly ranging results. : /

Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:14 AM   #4
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

nice! You gonna chop the front end too? I've always thought these bikes would be great for a cheap chopper, plus they would be fast with these little race engines they put in these things. DEFINATELY keep us posted!!!

As for weighing it, you could maybe try calculating the weight by taking the stock numbers and subtracting the weight of all the stuff you've taken off. It's a bunch easier to weight a few pounds of pipes and wires then a bike, and you would get a fairly accurate number.

OR...

If math isn't your strong point, you mabe put something like a piece of thick wood accross a bathroom scale (with a slit cut in it so you can still see the numbers), digital is probably best, as it would have a higher range than most analogue ones, but just make sure it goes into the 350 range, as the stockers are 300 something dry (I think).

Anyway, weight the wood, then roll the bike onto the wood and just subtract the weight of the wood! (so much for eliminating math, right? but it is less, so...)

Travis

Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #5
kkim

to weigh using a bathroom scale, put the front tire on a the scale, record number, put the back tire on scale, record number, then add the front and rear weight numbers to get a total. Not completly accurate, but close.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM   #6
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
to weigh using a bathroom scale, put the front tire on a the scale, record number, put the back tire on scale, record number, then add the front and rear weight numbers to get a total. Not completly accurate, but close.
Yes, that's what I did. For the front end I got wildly varying results. 126lbs one time, 155lbs the next... No idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingYellowInsanity View Post
nice! You gonna chop the front end too? I've always thought these bikes would be great for a cheap chopper, plus they would be fast with these little race engines they put in these things. DEFINATELY keep us posted!!!

As for weighing it, you could maybe try calculating the weight by taking the stock numbers and subtracting the weight of all the stuff you've taken off. It's a bunch easier to weight a few pounds of pipes and wires then a bike, and you would get a fairly accurate number.

OR...

If math isn't your strong point, you mabe put something like a piece of thick wood accross a bathroom scale (with a slit cut in it so you can still see the numbers), digital is probably best, as it would have a higher range than most analogue ones, but just make sure it goes into the 350 range, as the stockers are 300 something dry (I think).

Anyway, weight the wood, then roll the bike onto the wood and just subtract the weight of the wood! (so much for eliminating math, right? but it is less, so...)

Travis
I've been selling off parts, so I can't weigh them all. There'd be basicly a half bike to weigh anyway.

What do you mean chop the front? I don't see anything to remove up front from the frame. The front end will get a new headlight, springs, revalve with emulators, front tire (MT75 is the stickiest?), and I'd like to decrease the rake... I think I can do that by lowering the front.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

New pictures! Yay!

Old January 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #8
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Sorry, by chop the front, I meant were you going to extend the rake out and make it a "normal" chopper, but you answered my question already in your last post!

Looks good so far!

Travis

Old January 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Bike is looking great!

Are you planning on replacing the headlight?
The bike would look amazing with an aftermarket headlight.
Only problem would be rigging it up to keep the gauge cluster attached.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

What type of headlight do you think would be amazing? I'm not really sure what to replace it with... want something light. I was just thinking generic 7" round. I really don't care about appearances.

Old January 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #11
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingYellowInsanity View Post
Sorry, by chop the front, I meant were you going to extend the rake out and make it a "normal" chopper, but you answered my question already in your last post!

Looks good so far!

Travis
I don't think extending the rake would help very much when I eventually get her to the track. :P

Or do harleys really hold the secrets to handling? Hmm...

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_S View Post
What type of headlight do you think would be amazing? I'm not really sure what to replace it with... want something light. I was just thinking generic 7" round. I really don't care about appearances.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking too.
Or maybe two small round headlights would be nice.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #13
kkim

Whatever headlight you end up using, make sure they are DOT legal before purchasing.

Old January 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #14
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Damn near any headlight out is DOT approved (almost always denoted by the DOT logo on the glass).

INTERESTINGLY enough you're the one out of legality as HID's are illegal unless DOT approved

It'd actually be relatively easy to make a fiberglass surround for the headlamp believe it or not. The weight would be negligible and it would conceal any wiring and clean up the look. (Of course this is another IMO thing)
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #15
kkim

lol... my headlight lens says DOT on it?? How can it be illegal, sir??

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #16
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

No, certainly no HID's...

My replacement only needs to be two things: cheap and light. Nothing else matters. Anything out there lighter than the standard 7" while being cheap?

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #17
kkim

define "cheap"? what's wrong with the stock front fairing?

Old January 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #18
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

It at least needs a new bracket. Found that it had been repaired with a bunch of wires wrapped around the headlight to keep it on. Yeah...

Besides that, I heard I could save good weight with an aftermarket unit.

Cheap? I'd like to get a headlight assembly 50$ or under, preferably.

Edit:

I just realized you said "what's wrong with the fairing." Well, I sold it for one. o.o

Last futzed with by Erin_S; January 5th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #19
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Hate not being able to see pictures on the work computer <
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #20
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Hate not being able to see pictures on the work computer <
You back in Pensacola yet? :-D
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Hahah... the beginning of the "money spending" period updates!

Finally have some mirrors...

Nice and light, only cost about 20$ through ebay. Did need to cut down the bolts, though.

Next, pegs...

Nice and light, only cost about 20$ through ebay (see a pattern?). Did need to grind down the mounts to make them fold up (there is a pattern here!).

Then a weight savings mod, freebee!

Managed to save at LEAST .5 lb from this massively overbuilt part. Nice and free weight savings. ^_^ Yay!

And then...

Finally some new tires! Interesting story here... I'd forgotten I intended to sell the old tires when I went to get these, and didn't know how to bring my old tires back (rode there). So... I rode the 40 miles back with the old tires around my waist! ^_^;

Lighter tires, lighter pegs, added mirrors, lightened sprocket cover... I'll do a re-weigh when my new chain/sprockets come in. Let's break 300 with gas...

Also have new filter/jet kit on the way. Should be close to the fastest accelerating naturally asperated Ninja 250 in the world at that point... I'm guessing at least! (The smartest idiot, tallest midget.... the fastest Ninja 250 )

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #22
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Lighter tires, lighter pegs, added mirrors, lightened sprocket cover... I'll do a re-weigh when my new chain/sprockets come in. Let's break 300 with gas...
I haven't even gotten to really lightening the Honzuki yet. I'm gonna try to beat you, lol.

LOWEST WEIGHT WINS!

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #23
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

I accept your challenge! How big is the gastank in the SVCR? It's only fair if we do it with equal gas.

Though if I lose that challenge, I may be FORCED to buy a supermoto just to beat you... maybe a converted XR650R... or the SM510R... not that I've been looking or anything. >.<

Old January 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #24
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
I accept your challenge! How big is the gastank in the SVCR? It's only fair if we do it with equal gas.

Though if I lose that challenge, I may be FORCED to buy a supermoto just to beat you... maybe a converted XR650R... or the SM510R... not that I've been looking or anything. >.<
Sure... equal gas.... NONE!

I think the tank is about 3.8 gallons or something, but I have been thinking of cutting the horseshoe-shaped bottom out of the tank and welding in a flat one. This should increase to 2.5 to 3 times the capacity in the process.

And if you buy yourself a supermoto, I have plans to eventually build one anyways!

Old January 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #25
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
Sure... equal gas.... NONE!

I think the tank is about 3.8 gallons or something, but I have been thinking of cutting the horseshoe-shaped bottom out of the tank and welding in a flat one. This should increase to 2.5 to 3 times the capacity in the process.

And if you buy yourself a supermoto, I have plans to eventually build one anyways!
Lol, can't do no gas in my bike. I'm too busy having fun riding to run it out of gas.

I can just do some easy math to make up for that though!

When will I get to see the "SuperDuckMan" picture of you picking up the bike that you said you could provide? ^_-

Wait what? Increase 2.5 to 3x the capacity? By cutting out just part of the tank? How? o.o

Ooh, tell me about your supermoto plans! I'm wanting something more powerful and lighter next... supermoto seems to fit! Also, I hear they're the most fun. And fun... that's why I don't just have a Camry. Kawi dealer wouldn't let me ride their KLX250SF, and the local KTM dealer NEVER has a sm in stock... so I'd be eager to hear why you wanna build one, and what you'd wanna build, and any opinion on the fun factor if you would!

Old January 11th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #26
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Lol, can't do no gas in my bike. I'm too busy having fun riding to run it out of gas.

I can just do some easy math to make up for that though!

When will I get to see the "SuperDuckMan" picture of you picking up the bike that you said you could provide? ^_-
LOL! I just weighed the thing now using the double digital bathroom scale method... 200.8lbs! The engine is out, but it weighs 55lbs and the exhaust is 8lbs.

There are no headlights on the machine yet, also need rubber hand grips and a clutch lever and a exhaust silencer and a basic wiring harness to connect everything. Switches and ignition and brakes are all on the bike now.

The scale is pretty accurate too, it weighs a 25lb bag of duck food at 25.2lbs. I checked that because I didn't believe what I was seeing!

I'm gonna be WAAAAAAAAAAY below 300lbs! As I said before I haven't even started hacking anything off the bike yet! I would like to put some type of plastics on this bike, I think even with fairings it will weigh in about 300lbs!

No wonder I can pick this thing up so easily, HA!

Quote:
Wait what? Increase 2.5 to 3x the capacity? By cutting out just part of the tank? How? o.o
The SV tank used to sit on top of the HUGE SV engine and airbox. The tank conformed to that HUMP in the middle of the frame. The airbox is about the size of a motorcycle helmet, and almost as deep. The tank fits around that with about a 1" gap or so all the way around.

The EX250 has a backbone centered in the frame, your tank fits over that, not much you can do there.

Quote:
Ooh, tell me about your supermoto plans! I'm wanting something more powerful and lighter next... supermoto seems to fit! Also, I hear they're the most fun. And fun... that's why I don't just have a Camry. Kawi dealer wouldn't let me ride their KLX250SF, and the local KTM dealer NEVER has a sm in stock... so I'd be eager to hear why you wanna build one, and what you'd wanna build, and any opinion on the fun factor if you would!
Undecided at this point, its a few projects down the road. Gotta wait for the economy to turn around before I do any more spending. Thats why I like this project so far. I have almost nothing into it, just silly bits. Cans of paint remover and paint, misc nuts and bolts.

Old January 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #27
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Bragging about weight >.<
Damn...

You need to get that together and get a weight on it. >.< No fair until you've actually put some miles on it. Though 280lbs wet could happen with what you're saying... gah. But I shall not admit defeat until you get the bike together how you'll ride it, then weigh it. There may yet be hope... maybe.

You can lift 200 lbs? Easily? o.o

Old January 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #28
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Damn...

You need to get that together and get a weight on it. >.< No fair until you've actually put some miles on it. Though 280lbs wet could happen with what you're saying... gah. But I shall not admit defeat until you get the bike together how you'll ride it, then weigh it. There may yet be hope... maybe.

You can lift 200 lbs? Easily? o.o
I weigh about 250, lol. 200lbs is heavy, but doesn't really strain me, and even when the engine was in the bike I was lifting it. I'm just a big dude, I eat lots of red meat. RAWR!

I have a HUGE chest here that is full of books and comes in close to 500lbs. When I was working out regularly, I could lift it, and throw it over my shouders. My buddy thought I was on some kinda 'roid-rage!

Then I ripped the handles off the chest, haha.

Old January 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #29
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

That's... pretty awesome. o.o Wow.

EDIT: Maniacal laughter...

HAHAHAHAHHAAHA.... but you know that in the bike weight competition, we need to weigh the bikes as they actually are on the road. That means with us on them, of course...

Old January 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #30
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHHAAHA.... but you know that in the bike weight competition, we need to weigh the bikes as they actually are on the road. That means with us on them, of course...
f*cker. lol

But fine, I will play by your rules!

Then we figure the HP/Weight ratio.

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #31
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:

lol you two are jokes. Just tuning in here and I really like the look of the bike! But I do agree that the headlight's gotta go. Think maybe a big round spotter?
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #32
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Quote:
f*cker. lol

But fine, I will play by your rules!

Then we figure the HP/Weight ratio.
Hmm. I might actually have a chance with that. o.o Stock CR500 puts out about 62hp, I figure I should be at least at 100, if I apply enough stickers to my bike... or about 50 hp if I go by what aftermarket companies claim.

Seriously though. 33hp + less unsprung weight + lower gearing + jetting + filters+ full exhaust + non sealed chain. Going by dynos and "guesstimation" that should put me at about 44hp + gearing and unsprung weight.

This all gets thrown out the window if YOU mod your bike though. >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
lol you two are jokes. Just tuning in here and I really like the look of the bike! But I do agree that the headlight's gotta go. Think maybe a big round spotter?
Depends, how much weight would a "round spotter" save... always the question.

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #33
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
This all gets thrown out the window if YOU mod your bike though. >.<
Or if I take a HUGE poop that morning!

The bike will receive an assortment of upgrades which should put it around 75HP or better. Not gonna go too crazy otherwise though, I don't want to blow it up!

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #34
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Stock it's close... modded... I'm dead.

Well. This is my first bike. I can do better when I'm ready for #2. -.-

You win the speeds prize.

I'll still beat you for weight! (Disclaimer: May not happen, do not set on fire, is not a floatation device, removing disclimer is a felony)

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #35
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:

Stock it's close... modded... I'm dead.

Well. This is my first bike. I can do better when I'm ready for #2. -.-

You win the speeds prize.

I'll still beat you for weight! (Disclaimer: May not happen, do not set on fire, is not a floatation device, removing disclimer is a felony)
Personal weigh, sure, not bike weight. Lol!

How heavy are you anyways? Curious here, if you're like 100lbs or something, haha.

Old January 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #36
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

The best answer I'll give is a lot less than you. :P

Don't count on winning until you get some gas in that tank, ride it around, then put it on a scale. I still have hope!

Old January 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #37
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Yay! Parts in today!

Do I need to oil the K&N before use? It doesn't say anything...

Old January 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #38
VeX
That's me!

Nope. Looks oiled to me They aren't as 'red' when you take the oil out.

Old January 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #39
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
Nope. Looks oiled to me They aren't as 'red' when you take the oil out.
Where is the oil drain plug? I wanna drain it so I can soak it in BLUE 2-stroke oil.

Old January 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #40
VeX
That's me!

Hahah. I see what you did there

Lemme re-phrase that: When you WASH the oil out it's not as red