ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #1
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Is it illegal if........

I have green LEDs surrounding my headlights? I know your headlight can only be white. But what if my headlights are still white, just surrounded by green?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #2
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I haven't had front turn signals for like a year. Never been harassed about it. Go for it
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
No-go. I'm sure you'd get pulled over very quickly. This was a response to red lights, but has other info about the law on lights.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...67&postcount=5

You can have them for show if you really want, as long as you don't turn them on while riding.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #4
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Here's an interesting section of the California Vehicle code, which specifically permits lights of any color except red to be visible from the side of the vehicle (if compliant with the restrictions), but not the front or rear:

Quote:
25102. In addition to the lamps otherwise permitted by this chapter, any motor vehicle may be equipped with lamps on the sides thereof, visible from the side of the vehicle but not from the front or rear thereof, which lamps, together with mountings or receptacles, shall be set into depressions or recesses in the body of the vehicle and shall not protrude beyond or outside the body of the vehicle. The light source in each of the lamps shall not exceed two candlepower and shall emit diffused light of any color, except that the color red is permitted only on authorized emergency vehicles.
Another code allowing green lights to the side of a vehicle (but they have to be mounted to a running board or door...I guess you could install a running board on the Ninjette then add green lights to it lol):
Quote:
25105. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with running board or door-mounted courtesy lamps. The bulbs in the lamps shall not exceed six standard candlepower and shall emit either a green or white light without glare. The beams of the lamps shall not be visible to the front or rear of the vehicle.
And the code you would be violation by having forward facing green lights:
Quote:
25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:
(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.
(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.
(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #5
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
It probably depends on the state, check your local state laws.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I've been gooning around in my car with purple/green/orange/cyan lights for a little over a year now. Passed numerous state troopers, city police, and sheriffs vehicles. I make sure not to drive with them in a flashing mode or if they're red or blue. I'm sure you'll be fine and even if you do get stopped I doubt you'll get a ticket.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #7
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Check state law, I know the general rule is as long as the colored lights aren't shining out from your car its not a problem, as long as its inside the vehicle. Cops will pull you over though if your headlights are colored anything other than state limits, acceptable are usually just yellow white blue and perhaps purple.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #8
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Aww shucks. I figured it wouldn't be okay. I think I'll still attach the LEDs to the front, but hook them up to my blinkers

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #9
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Just do it and see what happens, the only colors they REALLY get at you for is red and blue, since thats official use only, I doubt they will give you a ticket just say you paid shop to install or something, act dumb they will give you a warning.
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
Just do it and see what happens, the only colors they REALLY get at you for is red and blue, since thats official use only, I doubt they will give you a ticket just say you paid shop to install or something, act dumb they will give you a warning.
Yep exactly, same idea. Try it like most things you might be able to get by with it. Don't draw attention to yourself and cops won't pull you over for the small details.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #11
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Check state law, I know the general rule is as long as the colored lights aren't shining out from your car its not a problem, as long as its inside the vehicle. Cops will pull you over though if your headlights are colored anything other than state limits, acceptable are usually just yellow white blue and perhaps purple.
The OP is in SF Bay Area (CA). Any forward facing lights or reflectors (including headlights) shall be white or yellow in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
It probably depends on the state, check your local state laws.
He's in SF Bay Area (CA) and the vehicle codes I cited are CA vehicle codes from www.leginfo.ca.gov
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #12
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
When in doubt, ask BARF LEOs
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote