ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
How profitable is it to part out a bike?

I see some basket-case bikes on craigslist for real cheap that are totally not worth fixing up. When you factor in time, initial money paid, and shipping and everything, how profitable is it to buy a bike, tear it down, and sell all the crap on ebay? (then use the money for this : https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212158)

For example, I see a $250 Virago. No title. Doesn't start. I could tear it down, maybe try to fix it if it looks like a simple problem, and if I can't, I could just part it out. I think virago parts would sell nicely considering it's got a pretty decent following. Even if the engine was toast/too hard to ship/unsellable I could make a few bucks carrying it down to a metal recycling plant.

What do you guys think? Have you ever done this before?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You can make decent money, lots of states have rules and regulations about the number of vehicles you can buy in a year without a dealers license though.

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #3
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
You can make decent money, lots of states have rules and regulations about the number of vehicles you can buy in a year without a dealers license though.
Something to keep in mind, for sure. It's not a problem if there's no title though, right?

Old January 12th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #4
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Something to keep in mind, for sure. It's not a problem if there's no title though, right?
Only if you are going to sale the frame. In fact don't waste the money on a tittle just scrap the frame

Old January 12th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
if you have the time and space.

Not just time to collect, tear down, inventory, clean, and post sales, I'm talking time to sit on hundreds of parts for long periods of time without them selling.

I bought a shock off of an fz8 for a project, decided i didn't want it and I had it on ebay for months at a rock bottom price, and even on an fz8 forum and I got tired of putting it back up for sale so it sits in my basement as a paper weight.

It seems the strategy for most salvage type motorcycle places is list it for a high price and sit on it until you find that sucker that desperately needs that part.

don't think it would be worth it for everyday bikes, but if you can find old rare bikes that have a good following there could be money to be made.

I've sold a bunch of crap from my rz350 I recently bought that I did not want (some fairings, dash, fender ect...) and made some money quick

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 12th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
What big brother doesn't know, won't hurt him us.

Old January 12th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
It's fine unless them boys find you and call it stolen. Sell it, scrap it, turn it into dollars.

Old January 12th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
it's not profitable to part out a ninja 250 unless you have one that's mint with all the fairings. other bikes, it just depends on your marketing skills and how much time, patience, and cleaning supplies/tools you have to make everything look good again if it's off an old bike. and hopefully you're close to a post office.

it could be a fun summer side gig

Old January 13th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #9
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

remember parting a bike isn't just the wrenching and disconnecting...

you have to take pictures of each part.

you have to box and package each part.

you have to post each part on Ebay.

you have to ship each part.

you have to deal with goobers who ordered the wrong part even though you took a perfectly easy to understand picture and explanation of each part.

just say'n, you don't turn a wrench and money falls on the ground under the bike.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #10
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

It depends on the basket case moto but generally if you look at the time and effort invested I don't think it would be that profitable. You need space , time and skills as mentioned above.
I have sold many parts from various motos but it was mostly to clear them out of storage and recoup some $ for other projects. The best sellers are good fairing parts. I'd only acquire a basket case if it had parts that I needed or would use in the future. I have acquired nonrunning bikes but only ones that I was certain that I could fix and then sell at a substanial profit.

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Motorcycle(s): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
just say'n, you don't turn a wrench and money falls on the ground under the bike.
That's a ducati.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #12
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

I've done this a couple times but only when the bike was totally gone, something major broken, or somehow i got hosed and couldn't sell it as a running project.

typically there are 3-4 parts that sell real fast for decent money. Front fairing, handlebars, maybe a speedo cable or something that always brakes. Carbs.

wheels and tires are usually only worth shipping if the tires are good. engine, worth a lot but shipping kills you on that deal as well.

The more common bikes are harder to make money on. Factor if it has been left outside, nobody wants to pay anything for a ratted and faded seat or body parts.

Generally if you value your time in any way shape or form, its not a money maker. Best leave the projects to someone who is going to save them and get them back on the road.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
it's not profitable to part out a ninja 250 unless you have one that's mint with all the fairings. other bikes, it just depends on your marketing skills and how much time, patience, and cleaning supplies/tools you have to make everything look good again if it's off an old bike. and hopefully you're close to a post office.

it could be a fun summer side gig
what do you think about a wrecked up 06 636 with a good engine and main frame? wheels fairings seat frame and forks are done but everything else is no damage to mild damage. i was thinking of doing a full part out on the engine... but i'm not sure if maybe it would actually go for more whole since the engine is good... doing it for a friend... what do you think you could get out of it without plastics and wheels and forks? not much i think right. i think maybe the engine could go for 800ish... the frame and title another 750ish. entire electrical maybe 200? whats a set of 4 injectors and bodies go for? $100? maybe i would be better off finding someone to take the whole thing for parts... i need to go make an account on zx6r

Old January 14th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #14
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
remember parting a bike isn't just the wrenching and disconnecting...

you have to take pictures of each part.

you have to box and package each part.

you have to post each part on Ebay.

you have to ship each part.

you have to deal with goobers who ordered the wrong part even though you took a perfectly easy to understand picture and explanation of each part.

I've sold on ebay before. I've parted out BMX bikes before. I'm aware. Thanks, though