Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Help on deciding on riding boots

Hi All,

Need some help on deciding on some riding boots... But I need some education on making sure I get the correct type of boot...

I'm thinking of getting either the Sidi Fusion boot, or the Joe Rocket Super Street Boot... At present I won't be doing any track day, at the soonest next season maybe... most of my riding is mainly city street, rural road, highway riding...

I'd like for them to be comfortable enough so that if I decide to park the bike, and get off to walk around and do some shopping, sight-seeing, the boots won't kill my feet while walking around.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... but in the event of a crash the full length boot will offer my ankle better support/protection.. correct? Will I/ Do I sacrifice off bike comfort (When walking around) with a full length boot? And do I need a full length for the type of riding I do??

thanks, Also feel free to offer up any other boot suggestions you may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-Sidi-Fusion-Boot-Black.jpg (16.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_Joe_Rocket_Super_Street_Boots.jpg (3.8 KB, 135 views)

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Because it doesn't have the brace that goes from the heel to the ankle, those fusions look like they would be pretty comfortable off the bike. I've got Sidi STs which have the full brace and even those are still pretty comfortable to walk around in, but probably not for overly extended periods of walking. The vertigos might also be worth looking into since they offer good walking and have a little plastic piece of the ankle.

You are correct about the full length boot providing significantly better protection than "riding shoes", a broken leg heals A LOT more cleanly than a shattered ankle will (if the ankle heals at all). In the case of a lowside where you might get stuck under the bike, it also provides more coverage on the leg in case you come in contact with the exhaust which could cause sever burns.

I had actually purchased a pair of shift kicker shoes but after seeing pictures of ankle injuries and reading this (post #22)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76532

I changed my tune and returned the kickers and bought the STs.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Sidi ST are a great choice - I have the Vortice and they are awesome. Just go to a local shop and look at the different styles of Sidi - the choice will be easy, but might be painfull on the wallet.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #4
mishka
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I'm sold on these boots but I need a size 14 and every place is sold out except ebay. :\ Does every store order from the same warehouse? Every site seems to have the same amount in stock.

Edit: is there decent air flow in a non perforated boot?
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
I'm sold on these boots but I need a size 14 and every place is sold out except ebay. :\ Does every store order from the same warehouse? Every site seems to have the same amount in stock.

Edit: is there decent air flow in a non perforated boot?
Depends on the boot. My non-perf TCX 3/4 length touring boot gets warm but not uncomfortably warm... yet. Toes do get cold though so I suppose it's useless for all weather variations except moderate.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
Because it doesn't have the brace that goes from the heel to the ankle, those fusions look like they would be pretty comfortable off the bike. I've got Sidi STs which have the full brace and even those are still pretty comfortable to walk around in, but probably not for overly extended periods of walking. The vertigos might also be worth looking into since they offer good walking and have a little plastic piece of the ankle.

You are correct about the full length boot providing significantly better protection than "riding shoes", a broken leg heals A LOT more cleanly than a shattered ankle will (if the ankle heals at all). In the case of a lowside where you might get stuck under the bike, it also provides more coverage on the leg in case you come in contact with the exhaust which could cause sever burns.

I had actually purchased a pair of shift kicker shoes but after seeing pictures of ankle injuries and reading this (post #22)

Well said
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #7
mishka
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Yeah, that post got my spooked. I love running so I want my feet. I ordered the non perforated STs in size 14. Hopefully they won't be too uncomfortable in GA summers.
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Sidi ST are a great choice - I have the Vortice and they are awesome. Just go to a local shop and look at the different styles of Sidi - the choice will be easy, but might be painfull on the wallet.
I forgot to mention this in my post. If you have a shop around that has a good selection of boots, it would probably be worth your while to go there and try some on to see how they feel when you walk around in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Yeah, that post got my spooked. I love running so I want my feet. I ordered the non perforated STs in size 14. Hopefully they won't be too uncomfortable in GA summers.
I've got the non-perforated STs and was riding around in them in the 110 degree weather we had here the past couple of days and my feet were perfectly fine (they have a little vent near the bottom that helps)....my body on the other hand......

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Well said

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #10
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

me too bro, that's why I got the best riding boots I can get my hands on, I don't care even if Its not comfortable to walk on, it's meant for riding anyway, not for walking. (that is also why I got my flip-flops with me, if i decide to walk around the mall and stuff)
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #11
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Holy cr@p .... I remember reading through that thread maybe a month or so ago, and I remember reading that post too... Thanks for bringing it up again, 395.00 for a pair of Sidi ST's is cheap insurance compared to the alternative.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
Holy cr@p .... I remember reading through that thread maybe a month or so ago, and I remember reading that post too... Thanks for bringing it up again, 395.00 for a pair of Sidi ST's is cheap insurance compared to the alternative.
You also have to consider that a good pair of boots should last you a veeerrry long time, even if you do get into an accident.

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #13
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...-out-air-boots

I purchased these and am very happy with them. Novice rider so I've nothing to compare them to, but they are not terribly uncomfortable even with the ankle support. The perfs do their job I suppose, as I notice how terribly hot my head and body are, not my feet. Seem to be breaking in nicely as I've gone to the grocery store in them. The ladies on the block seem to like them too!

I was considering the Fusion boots as well, but I'm glad I have the extra ankle support. I normally wear a size 9 thanks to my wide feet. The salesperson at Revzilla (great people BTW) gave me a 8.5 and was spot on. IIRC Sidi tend to be narrower, and A* are wider?
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Honko
ninjette.org sage

I believe you're right on the Sidis being narrower since they are an Italian brand, but I think they're more recent models have a wider footbase/heelcup than they used to.

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #15
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Unhappy Going to the Poor Farm

Went and tried a pair of the Sidi ST at the locale motorcycle shop and had a look at the Sidi Fusion's, Vertigo as well

The Fusions looked real comfortable but I thought they lacked any real lateral ankle support, the Vertigo's were a bit better and also felt comfy when I tried them on... and lastly I tried the ST's on. They were comfortable on my feet, and when I walking around the store they felt pretty good also (I was expecting them to feel like walking around in ski boots) I was pleasantly surprised with the way they felt. The store only had the ST's in the Black/White versions in stock, and I wanted the all black version.

I decided to have a look around the store (bad idea), and I tried on a pair of the A* SP-1's (real bad idea) these gloves are NICE, but I wasn't sure if they were 150.00 nice though... I decided to head home and thought I dodged the bullet on this one... Too bad I have internet at home, and a credit card... dam the internet, just placed my order for the gloves, and Sidi ST boots... Now I can't wait till my gear shows up!!!!

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #16
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I believe you're right on the Sidis being narrower since they are an Italian brand, but I think they're more recent models have a wider footbase/heelcup than they used to.
I think you're correct on this.... when I tried the Sidi's on today I needed to wear a second pair of socks to take care of the looseness in the heel cup, and a little in the foot base...

I normally wear a size 9 in tennis shoes and my feet are on the narrow side, I ended up needing a 42euro/8.5 US.. I did try on a 41euro/7.5 US, but it didn't have the length I needed. The fit in the 41euro was better in the heel cup, and footbase but my toes were some what jammed into the front of the toe box.

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #17
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

After trying the SP-1s you are forbidden to look at these. You will not be able to resist.

Mmmmmmm gloves ....

OP: Sidis are a good choice. I would recommend Sidis over Joe Rocket
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Which ones did you end up purchasing?

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #19
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Which ones did you end up purchasing?
Got the Sidi ST, and the A* SP-1... I modified my post to be more clear

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #20
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
After trying the SP-1s you are forbidden to look at these. You will not be able to resist.
Ai-Ka-Rumba

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #21
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
Got the Sidi ST, and the A* SP-1... I modified my post to be more clear