ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Soon to be 2008 Ninja 250 owner...What are some tips?

So I am new to the whole motorcycle thing. I have done a lot of research and I need a mode of transportation that is fun, yet saves on fuel. I consider myself to be a hypermiler, so the thought of owning a motorcycle is a no-brainer.

I am actually in the process of completing the MSF Beginning Rider course. I just finished the classroom part (and got a 100% on the multiple choice test; it was pie). I will be out on the range this weekend and I am looking forward to finally getting on a bike. Explaining how shifting a bike works seems so utterly complex for my automatic tranny mindset. I am quite worried that the transition from an automatic car to a street bike is going to be extremely frustrating and cumbersome for a long time.

I have only driven a manual transmission car once, so I understand the fundamentals, but a motorcycle seems to be such a more difficult piece of machinery to operate.

Couple questions:

I plan to purchase a used 2008+ Ninja 250 in the coming months. Where should I buy: from a dealer, or private seller? I dont wanna pay too much if I were to go to a dealer, but I dont wanna buy a lemon. I also plan to take a mechanic with me if I purchase from a private owner. Should I take a mechanic when buying from a dealer?

What is a good mileage to buy at? I would be using it for commuting in city streets primarily.

What are some common maintenance issues I may come across when purchasing used?

Should I buy gear online, or at the store?

My first modification is going to be the exhaust; what kind should I get? And are there any HP gains with a new exhaust? My exhaust for my car claimed to give a 6+ HP gain, yet I call BS on it.

What are some good mods to add some visibility-factor to the bike? I was thinking some underglow for night rides (i have some on my car, and yes it is legal in Cali, just gotta find the right CV code).

Kinda a lot of questions, but I am looking forward to joining the community. Thanks for the help!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ajcadoo! Glad you found us...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
So I am new to the whole motorcycle thing. I have done a lot of research and I need a mode of transportation that is fun, yet saves on fuel. I consider myself to be a hypermiler, so the thought of owning a motorcycle is a no-brainer.

I am actually in the process of completing the MSF Beginning Rider course. I just finished the classroom part (and got a 100% on the multiple choice test; it was pie). I will be out on the range this weekend and I am looking forward to finally getting on a bike. Explaining how shifting a bike works seems so utterly complex for my automatic tranny mindset. I am quite worried that the transition from an automatic car to a street bike is going to be extremely frustrating and cumbersome for a long time.

I have only driven a manual transmission car once, so I understand the fundamentals, but a motorcycle seems to be such a more difficult piece of machinery to operate.

Couple questions:

I plan to purchase a used 2008+ Ninja 250 in the coming months. Where should I buy: from a dealer, or private seller? I dont wanna pay too much if I were to go to a dealer, but I dont wanna buy a lemon. I also plan to take a mechanic with me if I purchase from a private owner. Should I take a mechanic when buying from a dealer?

What is a good mileage to buy at? I would be using it for commuting in city streets primarily.

What are some common maintenance issues I may come across when purchasing used?

Should I buy gear online, or at the store?

My first modification is going to be the exhaust; what kind should I get? And are there any HP gains with a new exhaust? My exhaust for my car claimed to give a 6+ HP gain, yet I call BS on it.

What are some good mods to add some visibility-factor to the bike? I was thinking some underglow for night rides (i have some on my car, and yes it is legal in Cali, just gotta find the right CV code).

Kinda a lot of questions, but I am looking forward to joining the community. Thanks for the help!
Ill be the first...well, I got my bike used with 5000mi and in excellent condition and i don't regret it.

I buy my gear mainly online because: selection, bids, cheap , and product comes to me and i don't have to waste gas searching for it. I also go to the store if i need something right away and to browsing is nice.

I just added a kn filter, frame sliders and levers to accomodate my gf.

lucky you for underglow. id add that if it was legal here in hawaii. i might double chk on that.

Heres a fun page for you. I like reading it. I read it a few times already. ^_^

http://www.cracked.com/article_19217...otorcycle.html
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

That is one of the funniest articles I have read. hahaha, very informative too.

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #5
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Thanks for the info too, musch appreciated!

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #6
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #7
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

The first and only thing I did was chop that ugly rear fender. You can do a search on this forum for some suggestions. Here's the section I used - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...678#post430678. I actually don't oppose the stock rear fender, but it's just too long. I cut it down in length and trimmed some of the side because I actually like the license plate light and tail lights. My fender chop cost me $0 and I didn't to take off anything except the license plate.

They are big and bright so I don't have to worry about folks not seeing me and cops pulling me over for some nonsense.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Josh!

Good luck finishing your MSF and finding a ninja.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #9
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Private seller will be cheaper... I almost never buy knew. Ive only ever bought a new vehicle once and thats because my wife made me... Go used. Have someone who knows what they are looking at come with you.

1-6k I think would be fine for the 3500-4k price range. anything over that I would imagine would be dead set at 4k or higher. The resale on these bikes is pretty high especially in CA for some reason...

buy gear in the store if possible, it fits everyone differently..

If you do exhaust other than a slip on you should also buy a jet kit...

and please cite the underglow is legal code. I would like to have that as I am adding them to my bike soon... Thanks and Welcome
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
... I need a mode of transportation that is fun, yet saves on fuel. I consider myself to be a hypermiler, so the thought of owning a motorcycle is a no-brainer.

...My first modification is going to be the exhaust; what kind should I get? And are there any HP gains with a new exhaust? My exhaust for my car claimed to give a 6+ HP gain, yet I call BS on it.

...What are some good mods to add some visibility-factor to the bike?
The Ninja 250 is definitely fun as all hell and good on fuel in stock form or even with a minor mod like a sprocket change and conservative riding style. When you start changing settings to the exhaust and carbs and driving at high rpms, well that good MPG rating goes out the window. To be honest exhaust changes alone don't benefit the Ninja much if you are considering being a hyper-miler, but that call will be up to you.

As a new rider, my advise would be keep your mods simple, functional and safety related to start. Here are a few first mods to consider that are simple and safety related.
Horn mod
Headlight & Taillight upgrade
Brake Light Modulator
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #11
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The Ninja 250 is definitely fun as all hell and good on fuel in stock form or even with a minor mod like a sprocket change and conservative riding style. When you start changing settings to the exhaust and carbs and driving at high rpms, well that good MPG rating goes out the window. To be honest exhaust changes alone don't benefit the Ninja much if you are considering being a hyper-miler, but that call will be up to you.

As a new rider, my advise would be keep your mods simple, functional and safety related to start. Here are a few first mods to consider that are simple and safety related.
Horn mod
Headlight & Taillight upgrade
Brake Light Modulator
The only mods I am really going to do is HID headlights, LED tailights, possible underglow, and exhaust. Thats about it, and if the time comes, i may add more down the road. I will check out those links, thanks!

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
The only mods I am really going to do is HID headlights, LED tailights, possible underglow, and exhaust. Thats about it, and if the time comes, i may add more down the road. I will check out those links, thanks!
there is a group buy on integrated tail lights right now...

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #13
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
and please cite the underglow is legal code. I would like to have that as I am adding them to my bike soon... Thanks and Welcome
The Cali underglow community utilize this: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25400.htm

The way I interpret the code:

1) You can have underglow if it is not blinking, red, or blue.
2) You mustn't be able to see the light source (it can only diffuse onto the pavement)
3) It cannot be used on the freeway.

I keep a copy of this code in my car in case I get pulled over. I have had the lights on many times with cops not really caring at all. They will drive directly to the lane next to me and just keep goin.

However, I was pulled over a couple months ago for having illegal blue LED lights to the front of the car (like the new Audi led lights). The CHP wrote me up under code 24003. I did not dispute the ticket since I KNEW it was illegal to have blue LEDs facing the front. It also didn't help that I was on the freeway at 1:45 AM with nobody else but just me and the Black and White. SUCKSSSS, but I wasnt speeding! The ticket was $195, but it was a correctable violation (fix-it ticket) so all I paid was $25!

If you were to get ticketed, the cop would probably write you up under 24003. And you could use 25400 to dispute it. Good luck!

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #14
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
there is a group buy on integrated tail lights right now...
Link would be excellent. And what do you mean by 'integrated'?

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I guess its not a group buy rather a new vendor sale.

link

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #16
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Sweet!

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #17
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore