ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 15th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #1
JayJay
ninjette.org member

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Talking Gettin' some work done!

So I am finally getting my chain and sprocket replaced, and getting new tires!! Woot!!!

So here's my question, what can I expect from all that being fresh on my bike?

When I bought the bike and started riding it, it had ~12k miles on everything, no new tires, just an oil change here and there. So my tires are pretty icky looking.

I didn't do any gearing mods, staying with stock gearing, just new sprockets and a new chain. Also, we are putting IRC RX01's on there. I wanted to go with michelin pilot's, but the rear tire was back ordered for months

Thanks everyone!
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2015, 09:16 AM   #2
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

IRC Road Winners

I too had looked at options asked the Dot Org about their impressions and in the end I bought a standard size IRC Road Winner RX-01. I am at 9500 miles on my original tires and the back is near the wear bars. I have absolutely no problem bending this bike over and too me it seems as good as anything I've run on these bikes including BT 45's.

Others have indicated they didn't like the turn in or they are slippery when wet outside but I found no problems with either. I know I can put the bike on the edge so if I can do that and the tire holds then it's an okay tire for me and the mileage is a bonus.

I have past track experience both in road racing and track days so maybe that helps my perspective on the IRC's. Good mileage, predictable, and turn in without much effort and it was $89 shipped to my front door.

JMO Wardie

Old July 15th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #3
JayJay
ninjette.org member

Right. Once I realized the IRC's that are on there had 13k on them...I wasn't disappointed with them.

But as far as having the chain and sprocket done, and the new tires, should I expect it to ride differently? The chain I have right now is stretched out, a lot. So I suppose the bike is not real 'snappy' because of that...but that's how I learned.

Should I expect to re-learn how to ride my own bike...?

Old July 15th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
The tires will need to be scrubbed in, shouldn't take more than a hundred miles or so, so take it easy with the twisties til then, once their scrubbed in, and you get the feel of them you'll be fine.

As far as the chain and sprockets go, just keep up on the maintenance and you'll be fine.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #5
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
The bike will turn and handle better. Ride like it's raining for the first 50 or so miles as the tires get scuffed up a bit.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #6
JayJay
ninjette.org member

The new tires are super nice. I didn't realize how bad mine were before....

It feels great, at first I was truly concerned that it was going to be a big difference in how 'snappy' the bike is. Seeing how my last chain had like 2 inches of play in it...
But it's nice

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old July 18th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Np

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote