Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Gear-related

Old July 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
D2Moto Massive Glove Sale

D2 Moto has its full length Volar Motorsport gloves on massive discount. Originally $89, on sale for $39, and there is a 50% off coupon code (GL50) that brings them down to $19.50. Cowhide, kevlar backing, ventilated, wrist and palm armour. Looks like an unbeatable value for under $20. Quality looks decent, certainly for the price. If you've been putting off a glove purchase for cash, no excuses.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Limited sizes - mainly L and XL -
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Eh, I've been looking for a real set of gloves to replace my department store gloves that I bought for MSF. For 20$, I figure if I get a season out of them it will be worth it.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

good find too bad I ady spend some money on handroids.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #5
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Limited sizes - mainly L and XL -
I did say it was a MASSIVE glove sale, lol.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

flloyd my friend said "thanks" cause I told him about this and he got a pair.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Just ordered, Thanks for the heads up!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I already have a pair of gauntlet gloves and I still bought some. That deal is too good to pass up!
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I get their emails but I ignored this one. Thanks, Floyd! I really needed these. Is the 50% code good on other items like their last 40% code (WS40)?

Just so you guys know, I think "Volar Motorsport" is their own brand. I did a lot of research trying to find the actual manufacturer of my "Volar Motorsport" blue motorcycle chain so that I could get a replacement master link (they don't sell replacements at D2Moto) and the only one I can find is Forward Powersports selling what looks like the same chain by the link as a "Factory Spec" chain.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #10
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

How's the quality on these gloves? looks like too good of a deal!

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #11
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Got mine today, super fast shipping from D2moto. They have a funky smell, and fit a little odd...feel short, the stitching is on the inside and i can imagine it irritating the skin after a while. but for 20 bucks, they will protect me oodles more than the current department store "high dexterity" gloves I bought.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #12
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
Got mine today, super fast shipping from D2moto. They have a funky smell, and fit a little odd...feel short, the stitching is on the inside and i can imagine it irritating the skin after a while. but for 20 bucks, they will protect me oodles more than the current department store "high dexterity" gloves I bought.
I guess its worth the 20, but i feel like i might as well put the 20 towards a $70 set of gloves if i want them to fit comfortably as well as protect me.. and idk bout that funny smell haha

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
I got mine today and they smell fine. This leaves me worried about you! They're fairly comfortable although the larges fit a little big on my hand. I prefer my A* SP-2s as I can tell they are thicker and more snug but for the price these are really good gloves!

Old July 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Shawn
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Ordered Monday night and got them today. I got the snow camo ones. They're slightly different then the ones pictured above, but the same sale price(regularly $100) and I used the 50% coupon. Only strange thing is a got an email 20 minutes after the tracking number was sent saying the coupon was wrong and should of been 15% off...weird. Either way I only paid $20+6 for shipping.

Some pics..

Overall, they feel pretty damn good for $20. Not sure how well they will vent, I haven't got to try them out yet on the bike. The inside feels soft and they fit well. The carbon fiber on the knuckles can sometimes be irritating if I apply pressure to the area while wearing them, but I don't think it will be a problem.

For $20, I would buy them again, and maybe even a second pair.

And mine smell pretty fine to me, besides the normal aroma of the marterial
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I ordered XXL because I noticed that A* SP2 gloves seemed to be varying tightness levels. Some so-called XXL gloves were tight on me while some XL gloves weren't. :/ I hope I ordered right. These ended up being almost $30 gloves after tax and shipping but they have a reasonable flat-rate for shipping ($30) so I'm OK with it. I think I was charged tax as well.

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #16
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

These gloves seemed to be sized smaller than they are so I hope that XXL works out for you

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #17
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

I'd like to hear another review before I make a decision, if anyones order them has anything to say, id love to hear it. its a really good deal but sometimes "you get what you pay for".

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I'm not sure the code works. The email said it was a 48-hour sale.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #19
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Got them like 2 days after I ordered. There legit! Good gloves!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #20
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I wore my gloves around for an hour or so today and the stitching in the thumb of the right hand has already ripped and separated. I still like the glove, but they are definitely $20 quality, not 80. I would use them as a back-up pair only and get a more thick, double stitched, and protective gauntlet glove. (I still love my A* SP-2s!)

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:48 AM   #21
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

Just bought 2! I can't wait to get them in the mail!

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, there was a piece of wax paper between the two gloves when I removed them from the packaging but it was stuck to the bottom glove (left hand) by some sticky substance that appeared around a vent. The CF knuckle-guard on the left-hand one was covered with rough cosmetic defects that weren't visible on the top clove (I think they stacked them before it cured). The seam on the inside of the fingertips has a lot of excess material that gets hung up on your fingernails when you move your fingers unless yours are significantly shorter than the glove's fingers. The design restricts lifting your thumb up, probably to protect it, but it does not let you comfortably use the horn or turn signals. When I pulled them off after riding to work, I could see imprinted lines on the backs of my thumbs where it had been restricting them during normal use. The perferations don't seem to cause any airflow and the vents only seem to cool the spot they are directly over, so these don't seem to be great for hot weather, despite the abundance of vents (many of the things that look like vents are actually multi-color glittery reflective pieces).

I could feel my controls surprisingly well through the leather. That's a plus. They look OK except for the glittery colors from the reflectors (should probably just reflect white). That's another. They're cheap, which is exactly what I needed. I guess that's another.

I do wish I could have tried a XXXL/3XL sized one. I doubt it would have helped my thumb issue but longer fingers would be appreciated due to the excess material in the tips.

I dunno... maybe my complaints apply to most gauntlet gloves. I tried on every size of A* SP2 in the store and recall similar issues with material at the fingertip seams and restricted movement. I do have to wonder if the stitching is real Kevlar on these things.

That said, I am glad I ordered them. My Tour Master gloves were near useless. Right after I bought them in 2008, all the cushion under the CF knuckle-guards shifted to one side or seemingly disappeared and became useless. One of the vents tore off when it contacted the handlebar remote from my Parrot SK4000. Eventually the fingertips wore holes in them and I had to trash them, but after three years of near-daily use, that's expected.

Oh! When I pulled my hand out, some bits of black stuff and a tiny piece of cut thread fell out (didn't fall our of a stitching). That'll go away with use, I'm sure.

Now I have to get used to not being able to see my wrist watch! I'll probably throw it away, considering that that is why I have it (telling time on the bike).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarapacman99 View Post
Just bought 2! I can't wait to get them in the mail!
I considered finding someone local and doing the same to save on shipping but my email said 48-hour sale and I figured it was too late.

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I should probably mention that only a couple weeks later the Velcro was lifting on one side due to loose stitches making it very difficult to undo the little strap on one glove. If I weren't so lazy, I'd simply stitch it back down with some Kevlar thread. It's the exact glove shown in the OP.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

i alway get mine from www.newenough.com they always have deals on gloves and gear.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote