ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #1
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Candy Plasma Blue 250r

Question Steering Lock doesn't lock???

Hey all,

I've been a long time lurker and just recently purchased my first bike. I've tried to lock the steering in place, but even when I have the bars turned all the way to the left I can't get the key to move into the lock position. I've tried forcing the key, but got worried that the key might break or break the lock. I've tried easing the bars to the left gently, wiggling, and jerking it to the left as far as it will go. I've read the manual already, but what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
untdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

when u have the bars all the way to the left, slightly turn them to the right, and they should lock no problem..
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
kkim

usually wiggling the handlebars when turned to the left will get the lock cylinder to lock.

perhaps some of the internals are frozen/sticking. try spraying some wd40 into the keyhole to loosen things up and see if that helps.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #4
rjo89
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Regan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I had the exact same problem when I first tried to put the steering lock on. Mine fixed up by wiggling the handlebars to the right a bit, twisting the key into the lock position, then move them all the way left again. Hope that helps mate
rjo89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Hi Regan and David! I've had that problem with mine as well, and bumping back to the right almost always is the issue.... it also needs to go to the right a bit when unlocking, as the wheel on mine at least usually turns just a hair to the left when it's locked because of the slope I park my bike on....

OT- David, are you a student at UNT? I met some of the chem folks from there randomly this summer doing a pyrotechnics seminar - they were a lot of fun!

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #6
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for your help. I kept wiggling it back and forth. I'm such a newb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
OT- David, are you a student at UNT? I met some of the chem folks from there randomly this summer doing a pyrotechnics seminar - they were a lot of fun!
Actually I just graduated and currently looking for work. Pyrotechnics sounds fun!!!

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by untdavid View Post
Thanks everyone for your help. I kept wiggling it back and forth. I'm such a newb.

So, did you get it to lock?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I guess it's assumed but when someone is having trouble, you guys should explain it a little better: Don't just "move it a hair to the right" after moving it all the way left, movie it a hair to the right WHILE turning the key toward "lock." It will not turn at first but it will turn as soon as the bars are in the correct position.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:32 AM   #9
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for your help. Yea, I got it to lock. Now I feel like a idiot!

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM   #10
rjo89
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Regan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Don't worry mate I felt the same way when I figured it out!
Reminds me of when I got my car last year. Couldn't figure out how to open the fuel door (It didn't have a button in the inside). Posted up on forums asking how to open the door. Turns out the car had to be unlocked to open the door and every time I had tried to open it the car was locked!!

Now I have a bike
rjo89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #11
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I guess it's assumed but when someone is having trouble, you guys should explain it a little better: Don't just "move it a hair to the right" after moving it all the way left, movie it a hair to the right WHILE turning the key toward "lock." It will not turn at first but it will turn as soon as the bars are in the correct position.
The OP clearly stated that he could not get his bars to lock when he turned them to the left, and that he had made sure they were as far to the left as they would go. The manual only states that the handlebars must be turned to the left so he was understandably concentrating on left. The next four intelligent and helpful replies clearly explained that most of the time you actually need to turn your bars a varying degree back to the right from the full left position for the key to lock.

I do appreciate your attempt to further clarify the answers that were already posted, but I think the part where you stated that one must "movie it a hair to the right WHILE turning the key" may still have a couple people on this forum confused...like the person that didn't understand that they must remove their front wheel lock before riding off into the sunset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
Edit: Oh wait... I forgot about the tiny crack that extend forward from my right blinker and onto my front fairing. I had a bike/cable lock threaded through my tire and steering when I tried to drive off and bent something underneath. They told me it was likely just a headlight mount or something non-structural. I've added thousands of miles since then without issue and no one even notices unless I point it out, despite not even popping it back down (I'd need to take them off and bend whatever it is back).

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Yea, I got it to lock. Now I feel like a idiot!

You shouldnt, Just smile about it. What really makes me smile about this thread, the wife came to me a couple weeks ago saying her lock didnt work,. Shes had her bike since feb08, and just now was trying the lock feature out
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #13
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
turning all the way to the left wont allow it to lock, it seems that you figured it out tho. was that the problem?

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #14
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I was even stoopider.... I thought the lock didn't work the first day I got the bike home.. I was even a little miffed! My problem was that this is the first bike I've owned that only has a steering lock to the left and I, by habit, always turn my bars to the right to lock them... and I hadn't looked at the owner's manual yet.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #15
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
turning all the way to the left wont allow it to lock, it seems that you figured it out tho. was that the problem?
My problem was patience. I turned the bars all the way to the left, then slowly turned my key and bars to the right until the key set into the lock position. My wife started to laugh at me once I figured it out. Something so simple as a lock doesn't really need brute strength, but alittle bit of finesse.

Old September 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrfastenuf View Post
The OP clearly stated that he could not get his bars to lock when he turned them to the left, and that he had made sure they were as far to the left as they would go. The manual only states that the handlebars must be turned to the left so he was understandably concentrating on left.
As he should have been. They DO have to be turned to the left to be locked. What are you going on about?

Quote:
The next four intelligent and helpful replies clearly explained that most of the time you actually need to turn your bars a varying degree back to the right from the full left position for the key to lock.
But none suggested to do so while turning/applying pressure to the key.

Quote:
I do appreciate your attempt to further clarify the answers that were already posted,...
Doesn't sound like it. Why wasn't mine counted as one of the helpful responses?

Quote:
...but I think the part where you stated that one must "movie it a hair to the right WHILE turning the key" may still have a couple people on this forum confused...
Be careful when quoting and bolding a misspelling when it is obviously a typo and was spelled correctly in the same post. It harms credibility. Perhaps it was meant to be funny? That requires an amusing alternate interpretation, which is missing here.

Quote:
...like the person that didn't understand that they must remove their front wheel lock before riding off into the sunset...
Laugh all you want but it had nothing to do with not understanding. It had to do with it being previously threaded through another vehicles tire the night before while being rarely used. The other vehicle it was locked to was gone in the morning hence, that afternoon, I did not check to see if the lock was still on the bike. Because I had only used it a few times in a year of riding, it wasn't part of my routine/checklist and I didn't happen to see it.

You know, it doesn't encourage people to share when they have to fear being beaten up about it later. These are supposedly the "nicest" 250 forums on the 'net and yet I can see no reason for your reply except to be an asshole... unless I just didn't get the joke or think it was funny just because it was at my expense.

Now I'm CONVINCED that you are following me around LOOKING for something to criticize about me. I haven't a clue why... I've had that feeling since you criticized me for an unfortunately titled video from a 250R vlogger (rebelyell91@youtube). The title had nothing to do with me posting it nor did I ever imply that it was "how to change a tire."
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #17
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

You are correct, I am sorry and I will not argue with you. I posted an apology in the off-topic forum.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote