ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Bike moved with steering lock on

Hey guys, so I've been on vacation for a week and when I got back, my bike has been moved. I have motorcycle parking in my apartment complex which is where I had parked it. I made sure my steering lock was on before I left for vacation.
Interestingly, my bike moved about 6 feet straight back to another motorcycle spot and my steering lock was off and my killswitch was "alive" (I always turn my bike off with the killswitch). Any clue how this may be possible? I gave the bike a lookover and nothing is scratched, but behind my right mirror is a little scuff, but that could have been a separate incident (never noticed).
Surprisingly, my bike also would not turn over. I tried with full choke and no luck. I finally just used some throttle to 4k rpm and it turned and idled at 3k so I turned off my choke and it idled at 1500 (I generally never use choke since my bike runs a little richer and I live in 70 degree weather all year). I'm just gonna chalk this up as the bike sitting for 7 days. I'm used to FI bikes and figured I don't have to drain the bowls unless it's longer than a month.
Anything I should check over? Is it possible to just just use brute force to turn off the steering lock? Thanks for the input.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #2
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

gremlins
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Is the mileage/fuel level much different than when you left it?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Where is / was your spare key for it
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathdude View Post
gremlins
gremlin.jpg

I should have known!

Gas gauge is kind of useless, but mileage is about right. I just broke 7000 last week and it's at 7064 so sounds about right.

When I bought the bike, it only came with one key, so I don't know the whereabouts of the spare. I highly doubt the original owner will try to track me down for joyrides though.

Old August 8th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Hmm... leaving a key in the ignition would run the battery dead. Is it possible that someone returned your key without you knowing it (received by a room mate or something)?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Cuongism

I live alone and my keys were with me on vacation. It just looks like someone moved my bike to the back row of spots somehow. Don't think anyone took it out for a ride; just curious how they were able to move it and if something may break if the steering lock is forced. It does still work when I lock it though.
Another observation is my oil is almost black through the sight glass. Time to change it this week I guess.