Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Closed Thread

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Going the speed limit

Is it common for motorcyclists to go over the speed limit? I know most cars around here do at least 5 over (and the occasional one that does 5 under..) For me, being a new rider, its so easy to go over the speed limit probably because of the extra freedom and the power my bike has that a car doesn't. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing for motorcyclists to do? It seems like most go quite a bit over the limit, but a bike won't stop any quicker than a car. However we do have agility on our side + an alert rider will react faster than a less than alert driver. Does the added alertness and agility justify speeding, or would you rather just stay the limit?

Old August 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #2
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

speeding is "speeding".

Old August 27th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #3
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

M13 said that according to some study, the safest speed for a bike to be traveling is slightly faster than the flow of traffic. Seems reasonable to me (although I can't find anything about it). If you're 'moving' in someone's view, you're more visible.

If that means going 10 over for me, I'll do it. I've never been bothered and I generally ride 10-15 over (speed limit here is 55 on the highway in most places, so 70 in a 55 isn't that unreasonable), even in front of cops with radar guns. To me it seems like if you're being safe, going a bit over is perfectly acceptable. But if course this is in clear traffic. If it starts getting close to rush hour, you better believe I'm slowing down.

Old August 27th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #4
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

With the way cops are here in SoCal, I try to stay within the speed limit. But I do tend to go over it sometimes

Old August 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Vegedurden
ninjette.org member

Name: Vege

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
I've never been bothered and I generally ride 10-15 over
I tend to do the same, but when you have cars going really fast in twisties, you're better off backing a bit.

Remember a car brakes better and can take corners faster than a bike...

Old August 27th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #6
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I rarely drive the limit whether on my bike or in a cage. I like to get places quickly, and speed limits are always set granny low in most places. I tend to ride 15ish over.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Old August 27th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Slightly faster than "traffic" on the highway/freeway.
Within 5mph or so in the city.
Whatever speed feels good in the mountains/boonies.

Old August 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #8
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Whatever speed feels good in the mountains/boonies.
^
This

Old August 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #9
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
+1

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegedurden View Post

Remember a car brakes better and can take corners faster than a bike...
Um...no they cant.

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Um...no they cant.
They absolutely can. The performance advantages of a typical bike compared to a typical car are down to an insane power-to-weight ratio that allows for tremendous acceleration. But in braking, most performance cars will stop faster than most performance bikes. In corners 4 contact patches + the aero help at speed will always provide additional cornering capability to a car.

Doesn't mean a nimble bike can't walk away from a car in most any situation on the street.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
As a responsible member of the motorcycle community I feel that setting an example to motorists, that all bikers (motorcyclists) aren't wild and crazy squids, so I ride the speed limit or a little under the limit. If everyone would do the same there would be less accidents, less petrol wasted, less road rage, and people would be generally more happy.

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoED View Post
With the way cops are here in SoCal, I try to stay within the speed limit. But I do tend to go over it sometimes
lol I guess the cops around me a chill. Or I just dont get caught

I'm normally 5-20 above the speed limit, depending on conditions of course. Freeway I'm 80-90ish, again depending on conditions

Old August 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #14
KawiKid860

Riding a bit faster for visibility makes sense, and I definitely pay more attention when I'm going over because I'm looking for cops, cars pulling out, etc. Wouldn't it take a relatively sporty car to keep up with a bike in the twisties? I mean your average sedan isn't going to handle that well, something like a 350/370z or even one of the new mustangs. I read that cars may be better handling than bikes but bikes are a way better bang for the buck because a $15k bike can hang with a $60k+ car

Old August 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #15
theredsox
ninjette.org user

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (Blue)

Off topic, but for KawiKid, to compare my Subaru Wrx ('04) and the ninja ('11)

- $24,495 vs $3999
- 0-60 is 5.2-6s for both
- 60-0 in ~107 ft vs ~121.5 ft
- Cornering is hard to provide numbers, but in real world conditions with roads that aren't always clean, pretty sure the subby would be faster 9 of 10 times. All wheel drive is a force to recon with.

On topic, I've always felt safer going just slightly faster than the traffic average, bike or car doesn't matter. In reality though I don't think that is true. Going faster than traffic does mean a harder time keeping safe distances from cars in front of you that you are catching up to. It does reduce time in blind spots though and reduces the chance of being tailgated. Personally, I'd say go with speed of traffic, but increase speeds to move through drivers blind spots. To me, the speed limit has nothing to do with it. It's all about traffic flow...even with cops around because usually they'll slow down traffic flow anyway.

Old August 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Man0X0bf8vk

This video demonstrates the difference between a bike and a car. Keep in mind the car is a GTR and not some DD sedan.

Old August 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what is this "speed limit" you speak of?

Old August 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #18
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
^^You live on the Autobahn?

Old August 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #19
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
They absolutely can. The performance advantages of a typical bike compared to a typical car are down to an insane power-to-weight ratio that allows for tremendous acceleration. But in braking, most performance cars will stop faster than most performance bikes. In corners 4 contact patches + the aero help at speed will always provide additional cornering capability to a car.

Doesn't mean a nimble bike can't walk away from a car in most any situation on the street.
Agree with Alex here. Cars stop faster. Most bikes and cars have brakes that are capable of lock up on the wheels, so the real limiter is the tires and the tire surfaces. Cars have more of them. It seems like a heavier thing would be harder to stop or corner, but it generally isn't the case.

While counter-intuitive that a heavy thing will brake quicker, cars still have (for the most part) sufficient braking power to lock up their wheels. Heavier weight just means you need more powerful brakes to achieve the same stopping power, and most cars have this in spades. This is because heavier weight offers increased friction that balances out the increased momentum that comes from the weight. (F = mu*N where F = frictional force (braking force between the tires and the road), mu = friction co-efficient (changes based on road/tire condition), N = normal force (force acting directly downwards with gravity i.e., the mass of the bike and rider).

So, more weight means more momentum, but it is cancelled out by the extra friction from the weight. You add even MORE friction with the two extra extra contact patches, and that is enough for a four wheeler to outperform a two wheeler in the cornering/braking department. We can still get them on speed and acceleration, though.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old August 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #20
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
On topic of post, there is a line of reasoning, supported by accident studies, that riding slightly faster than the speed of traffic is most safe.

The reasoning is twofold. First, it may increase the visibility of the motorcycle to the traffic by distinguishing it and providing a comparison movement/differential in speed that makes the motorcycle easy to perceive rather than blend into the background. The second reason is that riding slightly faster than traffic reduces motorcyclist's radius of attention to 180* from 360* and he no longer has to pay as much attention to what is going on behind or beside him. Compare that to the motorcyclist going slower than (or the same speed as) the traffic around him - now he has to pay attention to the overtaking (or adjacent) drivers who now present the risks of their running over the motorcyclist or making unsafe and unpredictable lane changes to pass the motorcyclist.

That said, doing so in the wrong conditions increases other risks, most notably of overdriving one's stopping distance. You should only ride at a speed at which you can safely stop before a potential hazard. If going slightly faster than traffic means you can't stop in time for that pothole around a blind corner, or someone pulling out from a side road, etc. it is NOT the safer option, and you should instead ride at the speed allowing for a safe stop.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old August 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #21
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i do 80 on the hwy, and thats usually flowing with traffic.. other roads it all depends but usually im about 10 over.

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #22
KawiKid860

gloyd2002 those were 2 VERY informative posts lol but I got a little lost on the first one :P but I understand the reasoning. So from now on I shall ride slightly faster than traffic to increase others awareness of me (I won't rely on this of course) when someone is making a left turn and there's a chance they might pull out in front of me I usually get ready to swerve if I have to and I increase my speed through the intersection to get out of possible harms way faster, is this a good idea? Or would it be smarter to keep the same speed and be ready to brake rather than speed up? To me it seems like speeding up and getting out of harms way faster is better and if someone turns in front of me I'm most likely going to have to swerve to avoid them, which I'll have less time to do if I'm going faster.

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #23
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I ride to where the cars aren't. That may be faster or slower than they are -- whatever provides separation.

Old August 27th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #24
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Around here, unless it's a residential neighbourhood street, if you're not doing at least 10 -15 km/h over, you're holding up traffic. At a light, I'll rev that Ninja hard all the way up to the limit and then more to separate myself from the group of traffic and give myself plenty of room 360 degrees. Then I will cruise at whichever speed feels comfortable to me and appropriate for the street. Of course, sometimes this also invites an idiot cager to think that you want to play cat and mouse.

Old August 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #25
KawiKid860

Quote:
Around here, unless it's a residential neighbourhood street, if you're not doing at least 10 -15 km/h over, you're holding up traffic. At a light, I'll rev that Ninja hard all the way up to the limit and then more to separate myself from the group of traffic and give myself plenty of room 360 degrees. Then I will cruise at whichever speed feels comfortable to me and appropriate for the street. Of course, sometimes this also invites an idiot cager to think that you want to play cat and mouse.
I do this too, yesterday some guy in a brand new lifted dodge ram took off to at least 70 mph in a 40 around a curve taking up both lanes trying to get me to race him but I decided it wasn't worth losing my license, a limb or my life to prove to some jerk his truck wasn't faster than my bike haha....

Old August 28th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #26
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
when someone is making a left turn and there's a chance they might pull out in front of me I usually get ready to swerve if I have to and I increase my speed through the intersection to get out of possible harms way faster, is this a good idea? Or would it be smarter to keep the same speed and be ready to brake rather than speed up? To me it seems like speeding up and getting out of harms way faster is better and if someone turns in front of me I'm most likely going to have to swerve to avoid them, which I'll have less time to do if I'm going faster.
Braking is nearly always preferred over swerving to avoid a collision. As I approach an intersection like you mentioned, I'm already scrubbing off a bit of speed and heating my brakes up in case they are needed. You can always brake and then swerve if you need to do them both, just don't do them both at the same time. It hurts nothing to be on the brakes and slow down when approaching an intersection with other vehicles ahead.

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #27
KawiKid860

Quote:
Braking is nearly always preferred over swerving to avoid a collision. As I approach an intersection like you mentioned, I'm already scrubbing off a bit of speed and heating my brakes up in case they are needed. You can always brake and then swerve if you need to do them both, just don't do them both at the same time. It hurts nothing to be on the brakes and slow down when approaching an intersection with other vehicles ahead.
The thing is if I slow down I feel like I'm giving the car more chance to not see me, or miscalculate distance and turn right in front of me

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #28
algerath
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Agree with Alex here. Cars stop faster. Most bikes and cars have brakes that are capable of lock up on the wheels, so the real limiter is the tires and the tire surfaces. Cars have more of them. It seems like a heavier thing would be harder to stop or corner, but it generally isn't the case.

While counter-intuitive that a heavy thing will brake quicker, cars still have (for the most part) sufficient braking power to lock up their wheels. Heavier weight just means you need more powerful brakes to achieve the same stopping power, and most cars have this in spades. This is because heavier weight offers increased friction that balances out the increased momentum that comes from the weight. (F = mu*N where F = frictional force (braking force between the tires and the road), mu = friction co-efficient (changes based on road/tire condition), N = normal force (force acting directly downwards with gravity i.e., the mass of the bike and rider).

So, more weight means more momentum, but it is cancelled out by the extra friction from the weight. You add even MORE friction with the two extra extra contact patches, and that is enough for a four wheeler to outperform a two wheeler in the cornering/braking department. We can still get them on speed and acceleration, though.
This doesn't seem to account for the fact that most performance bikes tend to have softer, grippy tires compared to a car. Wouldn't that factor in too? Most average people would never consider tires for the grocery getter that would be worn out in 5000 miles, some of the supersport tires don't last even that. Most common car tires advertise like 40 or 60k miles tread life.

A skilled rider, at least in theory, has the ability to control the front/rear braking ratio to suit the braking conditions, ex. Braking downhill using even more front brake than normal, allowing one to use both the tires to the limit possibly better than the standard ratio in a car.

I mean a race bike using super sticky race tires can brake later and carry more corner speed than if they raced on cruiser tires, or else they would all be racing on cruiser tires right?

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #29
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by algerath View Post
This doesn't seem to account for the fact that most performance bikes tend to have softer, grippy tires compared to a car. Wouldn't that factor in too? Most average people would never consider tires for the grocery getter that would be worn out in 5000 miles, some of the supersport tires don't last even that. Most common car tires advertise like 40 or 60k miles tread life.

A skilled rider, at least in theory, has the ability to control the front/rear braking ratio to suit the braking conditions, ex. Braking downhill using even more front brake than normal, allowing one to use both the tires to the limit possibly better than the standard ratio in a car.

I mean a race bike using super sticky race tires can brake later and carry more corner speed than if they raced on cruiser tires, or else they would all be racing on cruiser tires right?
One thing to note on the car vs bike thing is that most people's cars could only out brake your bike for just a few corners before they get have brake fade and the driver has an oh sh!t moment.

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Any advantage in stickiness on the motorcycle tires is greatly outweighed by the much larger contact patch on the car tires, along with the fact that for years now, any driver can stomp on the pedal to bring all 4 wheels right up to lockup, without worrying about upsetting the car's attitude on the road. A rider doesn't have it that easy, even with ABS on board.

Quote:
One thing to note on the car vs bike thing is that most people's cars could only out brake your bike for just a few corners before they get have brake fade and the driver has an oh sh!t moment.
True - the ability to shed heat after multiple stops is likely better on the average performance bike vs. the average performance car.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #31
algerath
ninjette.org member

Alex is probably right on the contact patch and abs. It is counterintuitive though, it FEELS like I can brake much faster on the ninja than in my car. I would love to see some mythbusters style tests on cornering and braking car vs bike!!!

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #32
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Even your average car nowadays comes with so much tech. ABS, traction control, stability control, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution, etc. Even with the bike's ability to shed heat of the brakes faster, I'd still take a high performance car's cornering ability on a road course. In some cases though, the end results are probably so close and might boil down more to the skill of the respective operators.

http://www.flixxy.com/car-vs-motorcycle.htm

Old August 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #33
Vegedurden
ninjette.org member

Name: Vege

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r

Quote:
Alex is probably right on the contact patch and abs. It is counterintuitive though, it FEELS like I can brake much faster on the ninja than in my car. I would love to see some mythbusters style tests on cornering and braking car vs bike!!!
It is definitely counterintuitive, especially to us. On the Mythbusters thing: I have seen a few videos pitching superbikes against sport cars, bikes systematically destroy the cars in straights, thanks to power to weight ratio, but inevitably cars retake the advantage in the corners. Search youtube or some other video site, you're bound to find a few examples.

The important part, though is that I'd never trade the feeling of taking corners on a bike for a few additional mph.

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #34
algerath
ninjette.org member

Ok so I was still a little skeptical about the whole braking thing, so I looked up some numbers. I thought I would maybe expect a high performance car to out brake me on the ninja but what about a common commuter, like my car a 03 cavalier, surely I could out brake my car. Well short story, nope.

2011 ninja 250 143 ft from Motorcyle usa
2003 cavalier 132 ft From motor trend

So I thought what about high performance bike and car

2011 mustang gt with brembo pkg 105 ft also motor trend
2010 Yamaha R1 132 ft motorcycle USA

So long story short, in any apples to apples comparison the car wins, it takes a high performance bike to get into the ballpark of my commuter car!

So I am convinced, Alex and Floyd you are correct, but if all 4 can brake hard enough to lock the wheels where does the variation in distance come from? Is it ALL in the tires and the friction they can generate? Is the variation just because high performance bikes and cars come with sticky tires. If I could put the mustang tires on my cavalier could I stop in 105 ft? Same question r1 tires on my ninja would I stop in 132 ft?

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

While all of the systems have enough capability to lock the tires, those with more excess capability, better components allowing better feel and modulation, and those with stickier tires will all be able to perform a bit better.

Putting uber-sticky tires on the ninjette would likely shave a few feet off the emergency stop distance in dry conditions. Probably not more than a handful at most, but perhaps a little. With better braking components (steel lines, larger disk, a second disk up front), a rider is more likely to be able to keep the tire right at the edge of lockup, which minimizes the stopping distance.

Old August 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #36
KawiKid860

Quote:
2010 Yamaha R1 132 ft motorcycle USA
That much distance for an R1??? and 143 feet for a ninjette still sounds way off, thats like Harley status! My 500 has a braking distance of 115 feet and it only weighs 14 lbs less than an R1 but it only has a dual piston brakes and a single disc up front not to mention smaller, less grippy tires...

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #37
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
If I could put the mustang tires on my cavalier could I stop in 105 ft? Same question r1 tires on my ninja would I stop in 132 ft?
I don't know about the 105 ft, as Alex pointed out, it is a combination of better parts that include stickier tires to get those lower numbers. And again, as Alex already pointed out, the same goes for the Ninjette.

Braking is the single largest performance advantage cars have over bikes. It's like when I take a right hand 90 degree I have to take to go to my house on the way home from work and school from a 60 mph speed. In my GTI, I don't even start braking until I'm about 80 or so feet from the turn, maybe closer, and I brake all the way into the start of the turn and don't release the pedal until after I have gone half way through the motion, though I have eased up on the pressure.

That same turn on my bike sees me stopping about 40 feet further back, and not braking as deep into the turn.

And the other advantage cars (mostly performance cars) have over bikes is corners where high grip is advantageous.

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #38
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
The thing is if I slow down I feel like I'm giving the car more chance to not see me, or miscalculate distance and turn right in front of me
Slowing down slightly before an intersection is the safest thing to do for three big reasons:

1) If you slow down a little as you're coming into an intersection, you actually can reduce your stopping distance dramatically. If you do the physics the distance it takes to stop is like a parabola: it's some number times speed squared. Since that curve gets steeper as the speed is bigger, slowing from 50-0 takes a significantly longer distance than 40-0. Even though the speed is only 25% greater, the stopping distance is 56% greater, all other things being equal (!!!).

2) If you do actually get in an accident, you're less likely to be hurt at the slower speed. Duh.

3) If you're going a little slower, you have more time to react AND more traction available if you decide that swerving is the right answer (for many bad situations, emergency braking is the better answer, as mentioned earlier).

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #39
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I only go speed limit in

1.playground zones
2.school zones
3. if theres a cop

=]

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #40
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

also completely irrelevant I hate when people do 30 in school zones outside of the posted time!

Closed Thread