ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1
b4idie
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r and 08 zx10r

I got a stupid question about parking

I'm new to riding and dont have a clue what is allowed and what isn't. I have seen little vespas parked up on curbs/sidewalks, bike racks, ect... but never seen an actual bike parked anywhere even in a parking lot in downtown Atlanta. Where can I park? Can I park the bike up on a curb like those vespas? Thanks in advance for the replies.
b4idie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You can park on the curb, don't be surprised if you get a ticket though
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #3
b4idie
ninjette.org member

so where would you park? on the curb and get the ticket?

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Search for parking threads. Lots of great info.

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #5
b4idie
ninjette.org member

Okay I'll try searching for parking threads

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

When I worked at Motorola, they had a motorcycle parking lot for one building and a bicycle parking lot in the other. I read the security parking guidelines and they referenced a motorcycle parking area for the building that had none. It seems that they considered the bike parking motorcycle parking. Eventually I saw a few parked there but I worked on the other side and always parked in the dedicated area.

The point is that some places allow it at bike racks. No matter what anyone says though, you are a motor vehicle entitled to a full parking space if you choose to occupy one.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #7
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Here in Hawaii we have smaller parking spots for motorcycles. But I've also seen people park on the white lines like here.

Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I live in a college town and campus has dedicated parking for motorcycles and scooters, which are much better than car parking spaces. There are a number of places around town that have dedicated motorcycle and scooter spots.

In the absence of motorcycle lots, which includes most places, I just use a regular car parking spot. I'd share with another bike or scooter if there is room.

At Walmart, I park in the front of the store. That's where some of the employees park their bikes.

If parking is hard to find, I generally recommend not parking on a car spot.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #9
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I never park in a normal spot in a crowded parking lot... thats how your bike gets ran into...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #10
oreX
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

This ran across my mind when I first got my bike as well. I usually try and find a spot that is not marked with no parking, fire lane, etc signs and is out of the way of the flow of regular foot traffic. If its not in anyone's way then no one will complain about it, and if its not in a restricted zone, the cops wont care, well at least I think they wont.

If all else fails, just ask the management of the places you like to frequent if its ok to park in certain areas.
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I park near the building up on the curb/sidewalk area. But not in a fire lane or colored curbs. Usually on the sidewalk on the side of the building is the best area.

At campus I park in a motorcycle parking spot. That is the only area in town that I know of with motorcycle parking.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #12
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I like to stay safe and just park in a spot, dont pull in all the way though, or some dumb ass will speed in and trash your bike cuz he wont see it

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #13
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I like to stay safe and just park in a spot, dont pull in all the way though, or some dumb ass will speed in and trash your bike cuz he wont see it
It's totally true that this happens but sometimes I wonder if the same people will also crash into a Miata, Porsche, or Lotus that's parked slightly farther forward. Those cars are tiny and almost equivalent to 2 bikes parked side by side.

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Don't ever park your bike ! Just keep riding !

Problem solved
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #15
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
It's totally true that this happens but sometimes I wonder if the same people will also crash into a Miata, Porsche, or Lotus that's parked slightly farther forward. Those cars are tiny and almost equivalent to 2 bikes parked side by side.
True,I'd be more pissed if someone took out one of those if they were mine.
I use the rule "if you drive a nice car, and you care for it, watch where you park"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Don't ever park your bike ! Just keep riding !

Problem solved
Hahaha, but I like to ride my bike TO places!

and to buy groceries =]

Old March 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I park in normal parking spots. Not one establishment around me has a motorcycle specific parking spot... except at the high school, where I parked in the teacher lot in the zone with white lines. it was right by the door, and was waaaay quicker to get to class on time when I rolled out of bed late.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
in california, the only place you cant park is in a handicapped spot. i frequently park on curbs or in gutters where cars cant get to.

Old March 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #18
b4idie
ninjette.org member

man... I searched everywhere online but theres no straight answer. I searched atlanta city ordinance parking law and such but again nothing about motorcycles. Im so confused. I see bikes everyday on the highway near Downtown but there are none parked anywhere. what is going on???

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Ask a couple of traffic policemen in Atlanta; they should know.

Search the Georgia Statutes, if you haven't done so.

When in doubt, try to park on a regular spot that is clear of surrounding cars and still visible from where you are going to be.
By doing so, you reduce the risk of the bike being stolen or crashed by inattentive drivers.

If you can find a solid object, like a light pole, try chaining the bike to it.
By doing so, you reduce the risk of the bike being lifted into a van or truck.

Happy riding!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

There are often spaces in Peachtree City that say that they are for golf carts only, but I always assume that it's because there isn't enough room there for cars and park my bike there anyway. I haven't been to PTC recently and only did that a few times in 2008, but no one said anything. A cop talked to me when I got fed up with a light not registering me and pushed it through a PTC crosswalk at 2AM, so they I doubt they simply overlooked me.

That said, I try to pick one of the marked off areas at the end of a row of spaces, but only when it isn't blue or next to a handicapped space (loading area for chair lifts). Usually, they are the inevitable triangular unused space at the end of a row of angled spaces. If I have to park in a normal space, I look for one next to bushes or a cart corral or something people can see through to know there is a bike there, as opposed to people swerving around that wall of a minivan and running over a bike they never saw. For that same reason, I park angled and as far back as possible.

I'm always tempted to flaunt someone looking for room by hogging two spaces (double-parking) by squeezing in anyway, but I'm always scared of retaliation or them assuming that they have more room and knocking me down.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM   #21
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

The only thing I can add is that in my area very few places have motorcycle parking except a few college campuses, and even for them they're usually oddly out of the way.

If I can't park away from most people, I park in a way that, although my bike isn't hanging out into traffic, its at the very end of the parking space, passed the bumpers of the cars parked around me so that anyone driving down that lane will see the end of my bike.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM   #22
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Most parking that's regulated by city and state regulations has to do with fire lanes, emergency exits, and handicapped reserved. Generally, if you're not prohibited by signage (Don't Block This Door) or pavement markings then the decision as to whether you can park somewhere is between you and the property owner. Many cities and urban areas restrict parking on sidewalks by statute, generally by prohibiting "vehicles" which include motorcycles, but you'll have to find those statues locally.

I generally park up close to the building in a way to avoid blocking any sidewalks, exit doors, etc, mainly to make it hard for thieves to get at the bike in a secluded manner. I haven't had any problems yet with the property managers asking me to not park there, though were they to do so I would be polite about it and take my business elsewhere.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:39 AM   #23
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
in california, the only place you cant park is in a handicapped spot. i frequently park on curbs or in gutters where cars cant get to.
I had no idea that was just a California thing, I definitely park pretty much wherever I can fit the bike. Last time I went to see a movie I went up onto the sidewalk and parked next to the theater. I have found that the local cops have been handing out $500 tickets at the local 24hour fitness club because most people were parking their bikes on a patch of striped lines they claimed were part of the handicap parking spaces (it was a stretch that was about 2 feet wide, 20 feet long that was nowhere near the handicap spots and was unlabeled). The management didn't have a problem with it, but cops tend to suck, so keep that in mind. I always park in a spot if I can, but if its a busy area I'll park on the sidewalk.

Quote:
but never seen an actual bike parked anywhere even in a parking lot in downtown Atlanta.
That's probably for a different reason, for instance I won't park my motorcycle anywhere in Richmond
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM   #24
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
They *could* ticket me where I park by the cart return at walmart. It is the blue/white stripped but it is not usable by anyone loading/unloading for the handicapped spots. They just continued the paint to include the cart return area and unusable areas around a tree that is on one side of the cart return. Because the cops we have do not generally hand out BS tickets they wont even though they could.

If you get a BS ticket where I live in general you earned it.
It might just be a Sonoma County thing, especially in the smaller towns. Those guys hand out tickets for everything no matter how stupid. They won't do anything about actual crimes, but they are big on acting like complete dicks who were given power they don't deserve. 8 years of driving without even getting pulled over, since I've been back (for just under a year) I've been pulled over 7 times, 5 without a reason, and 2 for BS reasons. (only one ticket, but still annoying. I got it for splitting lanes on the freeway, he ended up writing me up because he said at one point a couple miles back he clocked me going 6 over).

Old March 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #25
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I have beliefs on why this is the case which tie into differences in the average political leanings of the areas. Without going into that because it generally results in degrading the conversation greatly...
I hear you there, I also won't touch that topic with a 100 foot pole.

Quote:
I will say that I have done 15 over in front of a cop in a pickup (and everything else) and they dont even flinch. They are more interested in stopping people who are weaving to maintain that speed and generally being a danger than the locals who all go over the posted speed but do so in a safe way.
Thats what has been hardest for me to get used to. When I say I was never even pulled over before, it wasn't because I was following every single law exactly as written, not by a long shot. I do however always drive safely, I don't tailgate, I never drive faster than I am comfortable with, I don't outrun my headlights, and I yield or change lanes to allow people to get over (unless they are being a dick about it) to prevent dangerous situations. Never been a problem, and the cops I'm used to understand that. I can't wait to get my degree so I can leave here, I only came back because my moms health was deteriorating last year. To add insult to injury, when she was lying on her deathbed at home over thanksgiving break, the registration sticker on her car parked out front of her house lapsed, and one of Cloverdale's finest wrote a ticket.

Old March 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM   #26
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

When I park, it often look around. If I see another bike parked up some where like next to the building, I'll park next to them as long as there are no signs saying "No Motorcycle Parking."

Most the walmarts or lowes here, let us park in those empty spots right next to their building (often on their "side walk"). At a local bowling ally they actually let us go up the sidewalk ramp, and park on the side walk right in front of their building.

If its not posted, and you're really not sure, park normal. They really can't do anything if you're parking in a designated parking spot. Even when there's motorcycle parking, parking lots are still acceptable. We have many designated motorcycle parking for bikes at my campus, but every now and then you see a bike parked in a regular spot, despite many openings.

When you do park in a regular spot, be smart about it. I often park my bike slanted (More bike to be able to see). Sometimes I'll park almost all the way side ways. I have as much right to park then as anyone else. I do not pull in all the way, in fact, I make sure I'm poking farther out then the cars next to me (within reason, of course). If I can't, then Im exactly at the edge of the spot, so cars notice me right away. Also if it's night, try parking close to the building, and under a lamp at best. Not in a very dark spot.

Really, if it has designated, then try there. If not, and you've never seen a bike parked next to the building or on the curb, exorcise caution and park in the lot. Perhaps ask security or management if you really want to know. Just park share.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote