ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Cam0
ninjette.org member

Name: Cam

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Wet weather - road positioning

The other day when riding it started to rain, soon after I was asking myself what is the best road position for me to be in?

It seemed that while the wheel wells may have more rubber they also seemed to have held a lot more water. But on the other hand the center of the road is normally poor road positioning due to oil and other crap on the road, which would be even worse in the wet!!! Although in this wet weather is seemed as though the center was dyer!

So what do you think is the best road positioning in wet weather?

Cam
Cam0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:23 AM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I may not be right here, but here was my thoughts...
Middle looks drier due to the oil laid down in center is water repellent, so the water runs off that area, looking drier yet slippery as can be!
As for the right area to be in, there is nothing in stone. It's all about road conditions and the position will change often.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Flying Pig
Resident Lurker

Name: Solomon

Motorcycle(s): R6, Strom, 250R, CH80 Elite

Stick in one of the tire tracks. On the freeway, if I'm in the #1 (inside-most/fast) lane, I'll be on the right tire track as it allows those to my right a greater chance of seeing me.

Consequently, if I'm in the right-most lane, I'll be on the left tire tracks.

Whatever you inputs you give the bike, make sure they are buttery smooth. Definitely practice smooth acceleration, braking, and shifting. And avoid crossing big painted surfaces and manhole covers if possible. If you have to cross over them, don't do anything sudden.

Have fun, and ride safe. I hear pin-lock works great for cutting out fog. I use RainX Anti-Fog and just have to remember to apply it before I leave as my visors don't support the pin-lock system. I use regular RainX (yellow bottle) on the outside of my visor and it helps me maintain visibility, even in downpours. Tuck just under the draft of the windscreen and all water is pushed down so I don't have to wipe it with my hands. Or if I'm sitting more upright for visibility, turn the head left and right to let the air passing over move the water off for you.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #4
DSpinler
Your Lord Funny Bits

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Have fun, and ride safe. I hear pin-lock works great for cutting out fog. I use RainX Anti-Fog and just have to remember to apply it before I leave as my visors don't support the pin-lock system. I use regular RainX (yellow bottle) on the outside of my visor and it helps me maintain visibility, even in downpours. Tuck just under the draft of the windscreen and all water is pushed down so I don't have to wipe it with my hands. Or if I'm sitting more upright for visibility, turn the head left and right to let the air passing over move the water off for you.
A lil off topic, but...this is SO true. I have had my HJC CL16 for three months, and was fequesntly frustrated in cold or inclement weather. I went to one of our local dealerships looking for gear and a helmet for the gf, and ended up talking about it with the parts guy. He had a free clear pinlock shield that he gave me which was awesome....

Anywho, after I installed it, it feels like a brand new helmet. I can't stress enough how much this has changed my night rides.
DSpinler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
shiftyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 09' EX250J, 01' EX250R

As stated above ride where you are more likely to be seen, as when it sprinkles at least here in AZ, people freak and totally forget how to drive. Second ride in the tire tracks as stated above the middle is the most slippery (more so when hot and dry). And avoid painted lines, anything metal and NO sudden jerks or you could be forced to lay her down. Stability is key in the rain, smooth riding, unless you want to crash, but that's your deal. I ride 365 rain or shine. Have ridden when it started snowing although I would really avoid that if possible, I'm not that much of a hard ass.
shiftyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cam,

Whenever you can, avoid riding in the rain.

If you must ride, wait for the first 15 minutes or so, until floating staff (dirt, diesel and oil) gets washed away.

Once the road is clean, the traction improves much (about 30% of dry conditions).
Accelerate and brake smoothly and following a straight line.
Lean the bike as little as possible, but try to flow with traffic rather than become a sitting duck for others.

Still, avoid bodies of water that could hide open manholes and other hazards, and could kill your engine due to splashing.

Especially, keep a healthy distance from all the cars and keep an escape window.
Many drivers become really stupid when it start raining and they slam on brakes for no reason, just to skid towards you.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
sounds like solid advise, but what do you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
and could kill your engine due to splashing.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I don't have experience riding, but I watch MotoGP riders go over one hundred fifty miles per hour in rain. So, you can ride in rain. Then again, a lot of them crash, and the track generally don't have oil everywhere...or 75,000 pound vehicles sent to kill you. So, maybe you should just give up riding in the rain?

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They also have loads more skill and experience than most of use mere mortals, and specially designed tires that are a race compound with rain treads to help them out. Not to mention pretty awesome traction control at this point.

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #10
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I was joking again.

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
sounds like solid advise, but what do you mean by this?
Like with any gasoline engine, if water reaches the high voltage parts of the ignition system, the sparks may jump anywhere but in the plugs.

The Ninja 250 is particularly resistant to splashing, as mine has proven in several 15 miles trips under heavy rain.
The whell of each spark plug has a drain conduct.

Air cooled bikes that I owned before were more susceptible to that problem.
Maybe because the high voltage cable and plug butt were more exposed to mist and spray.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me Motofool

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

i think the best position to be riding in the rain is two wheels down. And doggystyle.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
And doggystyle.
you can DO that on a motorcycle????

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM   #15
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

As someone previously mentioned,

In the MSF, they taught us, that if you are riding behind a car in the rain, the safest place to put your tires is in the tracks of the car in front of you. The tires of the car in front push the water away, and will help you get the best traction.

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Position yourself further back than you would normally be, keep the inputs as smooth as possible & the bike as upright as possible.

Depending on how much traffic there is, how it's flowing & how heavy the rain is the centre of a lane may still be fairly dry. Otherwise take up an off-side position to be able to see traffic ahead & be seen by oncoming drivers.

Take the widest line possible if you're cornering to keep as much of a contact patch, but watch out for

Painted lines, wet leaves (they're only slightly grippier than oiled ice), shores (drains, manhole covers, tram tracks ect.) will be slippery.
Diesel / oil will generally give a shine, avoid it.

Standing water can be a lot deeper than it looks, I was out with a buddy when we got monsoon levels of rain (I'm Irish, I commute on the bike daily so I'm well used to riding in rain. If I only went out on dry days I might get out once or twice a year ) I was leading the way back a well known stretch of road & went through a puddle that I thought should be about an inch deep, it was actually in a dip & was about half way up my boots (after that I let my mate on his F650 GS take the lead)

If it looks like it will be a quick downpour take cover until it passes, if it's down for the day HTFU (Harden The F*ck Up) and keep going
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote