Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 26th, 2023, 02:16 PM   #8561
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
In the middle part of the tread like that, I'd probably do an internal patch and plug to fill the hole and finish wearing out the tire. But do what you feel safe doing.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2023, 02:35 PM   #8562
MrB64
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): R1,GT380,RGV 250,Ninja 250, Honda SS125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
In the middle part of the tread like that, I'd probably do an internal patch and plug to fill the hole and finish wearing out the tire. But do what you feel safe doing.
Yes I'll probably get that done and keep it as a spare.
Just want to get it back on the road asap.
MrB64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2023, 04:46 PM   #8563
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in the past I've ran tires way past their replacement date often but I drew the line when the cord showed ! LOL

I've also had no trouble getting patches to stick real good once I started
covering a larger area than the patch itself.... I now typically bring my buffed up area out at least 3/4" beyond the patch area before patching then I cover the entire buffed area with a heavy layer of glue then lay the patch and press in
I usually pause between those actions to alow the contact cement to dry slightly before putting on the patch and then usually clamp a block of wood or metal washer over the patch clamp it with welding vicegrips and then let it set in the sun to dry for at least 24 hours.... never had a patch like that come off
I have had patches come off I didn't clamp and let dry.
on a few (not many) tires I have used Shoe-goo from walmart to fill the sliced rubber knob that went down to the cord.... I cleaned it real good and
then squeezed in the shoe goo and then clamped it with rubber bands and vice grips and let dry in the sun.... letting it dry good is the key ! take it in the house and put near a heater vent over night should do the trick but it does need to dry good.

I usually run my tires with less than the recommended air pressure so they do flex alot... Patches were designed to be used with normal tire pressure
certainly not below normal tire pressure as they cannot flex that much very long.... On one tire on my Honda 305 dream I had a patch that started leaking again and it was because the patch itself ripped apart because of the flexing.... the adhesion was top notch but the patch itself was junk
so I patched over it entirely and I had to re balance the wheel.....
the tube had 3 patches in it and needed to be replaced 3 years ago but no funds meant I had to press it back into service... I ran it like that for over a year but I did add more air pressure in the rear tire in hopes of keeping it alive a little longer... when I finally had enough money to replace the tube and tire I did so.... I got a Parelli MT53 and that tire made me a believer in
quality tires, I put on 1000 miles a month for over 5 years on that tire and it never did let me down it's universal tread was just the tire I needed

I was dismayed that I could not replace that tire as Perelli had quit making them (they started re making them sense then) but at the time they were no where to be found so I had to get something else and I was careful to get a heavier side wall tire... because at the time they had tires available that were just thick inner tubes super thin tires that have sense been outlawed
in this state... I know I got one before and it darn near got me killed !
thin tires and motorcycles do NOT MIX !!!!! there was no internet at the time so which tire was a good tire was anyone's guess.... I asked at the big new Honda shop and they ranted and raved at this one tire that was quite expensive... so I bought it took it home and put it on and was pleasantly surprised that it was almost as good as the Pirelli MT53 ! by the end of that tire's life the bike was completely wore out.... so I sold it to my sister for $50.00 and then got Married ! and left California....
California is a great place to be FROM..... Your Opinions are not appreciated I quickly learned. but the state itself is so screwed up it is best to leave it behind for greener pastures !
....I only came back here to help my Mother in her Old age.... and I still am looking for a way to move out of the state again...these people are nuts !
For the most part the people are like anywhere else, but we have the Lion share of the more vocal radicals that know that beyond a shadow of doubt their way is the best way....the Rural people on the whole know their nuts
but that does not dissuade them a bit.... so the Big cities pass laws for the entire state that the rest of the state doesn't want...
and it's always been like that....

I am waiting for the day when I can put flat free foam into my motorcycle tires and never have to worry about a flat again....
( yes I have used green slime in street bike tires with good success)
However when it gets Old and THICK it starts giving you balance issues
so I am not sure how long you can safely run it in a street bike....as one thing you do not want is a out of balance tire on a street bike !

Bob....

Old March 5th, 2023, 08:04 AM   #8564
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 EX250

Something is weird going on with the in-line fuel filter I put in.. so the first time I ran the bike with it on, it ended up filling up like 3/4 full.

I ran the bike yesterday for the first time in like 5 weeks and it didn’t fill up at all but the bike ran?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58192AEC-2D27-4576-A5F3-575D8FC0A2CE.jpg (55.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FADD401B-C637-4C9D-8659-C6B73E18256A.jpg (68.9 KB, 4 views)
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2023, 08:33 AM   #8565
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Paint it black and you won't have to worry about the air bubble any more.

Old March 5th, 2023, 09:50 AM   #8566
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Everyone is like because it’s gravity fed it should be vertical and not horizontal

Old March 5th, 2023, 11:09 AM   #8567
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I would do the same thing if there were a fuel pump.

Old March 5th, 2023, 11:30 AM   #8568
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I would do the same thing if there were a fuel pump.
Would it fill when the carbs start to drain? I assumed it filled as much as it did before because of the fuel in the lines.

Old March 5th, 2023, 12:02 PM   #8569
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

As long as fuel is getting to the carbs, don't worry about air in the filter. That's why I said to paint it black.

Old March 5th, 2023, 03:17 PM   #8570
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL yah inline filters do that.... don't worry about it !
one time you ride it it will be 3/4 empty the next time it will be completely full
and the next empty again.... it don't matter !
it is strange you would think that if it does something once it will always do it the same way but fluid dynamics and random restrictions throw up so many veriables that no one can predict the outcome !
As long as it works don't worry about it look at it like it's only using 1/2 the filter when it's half full so it's saving ya money ! HAHAHAHA
Bob

Old March 11th, 2023, 01:36 PM   #8571
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Lol I have a pack of like 19 left so they will last a long time!

In the process of slowly getting the rear tire changed I saw most tire mounting lube comes in large size tubs which I didn’t need so I saw they had a spray version of Yamalube for tire mounting.

I got the motion pro slack adjuster tool that came yesterday

How much of a pita is the rubber carb boots going to take to get off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5AC56501-8217-41B6-89F5-F2DEC736063D.jpg (127.5 KB, 2 views)

Old March 11th, 2023, 03:05 PM   #8572
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

A big P.I.T.A ! the carb boot is a bugger ! even with everything taken loose so the whole air cleaner can move back about 1/2" the boot itself is a bear !
Getting mine off was easy... loosen the clamps and have the air box loose and just move the air box back and their off... putting them back on is something else.....
I've struggled with mine off and on for a week now and have gotten nowhere
there is just no room to work in there... years ago I made a pick out of a bad small phillips screw driver that I sharpened to a fine point and then bent to 90 degrees on the end and then thinned it down with a grinder.... that is my boot tool... and it helps alot.... but I still can't get it all the way on the bottom
it's almost like it never has been on properly and has shrunk because it will not go on and stay there.
I think the stragity is take the air cleaner box loose and get the boot on and clamp it down with the clamps real good and then try to get the air cleaner box back into position afterword
although I have already done that they keep coming off on the bottom
... the Manifold boots are relitively easy, they stay on with no trouble
but the air cleaner side is a bitch ! WD-40 and alot of pressure forward
will get then on.... but keeping them on is another story.
if you don't lube the boots and the carbs the boots will not go on... but if you do they slip off afterword..... I am stumped on how to go about this fix !
Bob.......

Old March 11th, 2023, 08:48 PM   #8573
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Maybe the first gens are easier, but mine aren't that difficult. Seating the intake boots from the air box can be tricky, but I've found it works if you get a hand in the airbox to ease the carb throats in. Then you can get that thinner rubber settled down in the carbs.

Now, getting a hand in the airbox is a puzzle... be flexible.

Old March 11th, 2023, 08:56 PM   #8574
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL I've wanted to do that several times but I couldn't see How I could get my hand in there ! I think the top comes off... maybe that is how I dunno !
I've also wondered if the rubbers could be turned around so they are slightly angled down instead of up... but I think there is no angle to them both edges are parallel and if that's the case turning them wouldn't make any difference
Does the top of the air box come off Drew ?
Bob......

Old March 12th, 2023, 05:40 PM   #8575
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

It does, and there is a white plastic frame that retains the air filter. Remove filter and arrange frame so it is as out of the way as possible and contort your hand into the box outlet. I have to remove my hand and reposition for each carb. Cramped, but it seats the boots.
This is all for the pre-08. It's been years since I had the 08+ model, I can't remember exactly how they're configured.

Old March 13th, 2023, 02:14 AM   #8576
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Thanks Drew that will help alot.... if I can just push down on the boot from the inside it would go right on !
.....I'll have to remember that !
Now I want to get the Ninja Running and get it out of my small shop so I can get the XR650L in there and get it going !
walmart battery is on order HAHAHAHA ! the old battery is so dead it's not even funny.

Bob.....

Old March 14th, 2023, 05:00 PM   #8577
NinjaPony
New rider

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2021 Ninja 400 (abs), 2004 NinjaEx (2007 motor)

What did you do to your Ninja today?

From Tijuana I drove to Kearny Mesa San Diego to get new both front and rear tires. Perelli Diablo Rosso 4 One size up from stock so 120 in front and 160 rear. Rides sweet especially with the chain adjusted.
NinjaPony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2023, 11:52 AM   #8578
MrB64
ninjette.org member

Bled the brakes on the Kawasaki.
Dragged the RGV out of hibernation for a photo OP with the Ninja.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230401_163043.jpg (124.2 KB, 3 views)

Old April 2nd, 2023, 12:04 PM   #8579
NinjaPony
New rider

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2021 Ninja 400 (abs), 2004 NinjaEx (2007 motor)

Paint marker

Re painted the lettering on my tires. Don’t know how to make pics sit correctly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.0 KB, 3 views)
NinjaPony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2023, 01:31 PM   #8580
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

pic's sitting incorrectly has been my bane also they sit fine on my computer but not on the web sites, what I have to do is load the photo into paint 3D and then rotate it 2 or 3 times and get it in the correct orentation (straight up how I want it) and then save it AS a new name and then up load that new name
that works every time but it is a P.I.T.A. learning how to HOLD the phone to take the pictures is alot easier.... my phone has to be on it's side and with the camara lends on the right side.... then it will take the pictures correctly !
....but I take pictures so seldom that I forget the tricks and have to learn it all over again later ! so ya can't win ! LOL
Bob.......

Old April 2nd, 2023, 02:08 PM   #8581
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

When I use a camera (not a phone), it always comes out the way it's supposed to.

Old April 22nd, 2023, 02:57 PM   #8582
MrB64
ninjette.org member

Changed the oil and filter.
Clocked up almost 2000miles on it since January.

Old May 4th, 2023, 10:14 PM   #8583
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I put the carbs back on the Ninja....added gas to my aux. fuel tank and fired the bike up
and it actually ran great.... better than ever EVEN when it was cold !
but I did notice that the float bowls were leaking gas.... both of them
so..... that is something I gott'a fix ....
it never ends with this bike ...
I am becoming disenchanted quickly with this motorcycle !..
Bob.....