ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

FI cold startup, my 2005 project bike

I've been meaning to video a cold start to show how my do-it-yourself 2005 EX-250 fuel injection project bike behaves. It's a whole different experience from the carbs with their choke lever arrangement.

Finally did it as a by-product of the video from my "0 to 60" testing for @choneofakind 's thread.

Link to original page on YouTube.

greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Ummm... I think you should come do that to mine .

Have you experienced any mechanical problems since you changed it to FI? Any overheating issues? That is pretty awesome, I'm kind of jealous
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #3
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post
Ummm... I think you should come do that to mine .

Have you experienced any mechanical problems since you changed it to FI? Any overheating issues? That is pretty awesome, I'm kind of jealous
It starts and runs so well and so reliably that it makes me laugh when I think about it. I've modified so many parts of this bike: front and rear suspension, electrical system, FI system, intake, exhaust, coolant system, lighting (leds and headlight & taillight modulators), voltmeter, heated grips. I think about all that and it just amazes me the thing runs at all.

The hardest part was learning how to configure the fuel system, where and how to mount things and what type of components to use. I made a few bad choices when I initially built the fuel system causing it to trap air which made the pump's impeller cavitate.

Never had any problems related to the bike's coolant system. I did install the ThermoBob modification that helps it to warm up more quickly. The ThermoBob also causes the engine to have a much more uniform overall temperature (which is something vehicle engineers strive for because it reduces engine wear and increases effeciency).

The only temperature problem I've had was, once again, related to my first configuration of my fuel system. My fuel system doesn't use an in-tank pump so there's no return of the extra fuel pump output to the tank for cooling. In my first version of the fuel system I had heat buildup problems so I added a very small fuel cooler which completely solved the problem.

Old March 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
once again, Greg, that's an absolutely awesome ninja 250 you've built yourself.

Side note: I was watching the temp gauge just keep rising right up into the proper operating temp, even when cool outside. Maybe I should invest in one of these thermo-bob's. Interesting idea for a product, and it was really nice to actually watch one in action.

btw, that likely was the best placement of the microphone possible. That was probably the most true-sounding ninja 250 video in comparison to hearing the real thing when riding my own
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
once again, Greg, that's an absolutely awesome ninja 250 you've built yourself.
Thanks.

I think those of us that tinker and modify will all agree we just can't stop ourselves. In other words, this was bound to happen.

Would you believe that in the two years I've had it up and running with fuel injection I've never had the opportunity to show it to anyone who gives half a crap about motorcycles? Not even once. I don't have any close friends who ride and I don't know anybody here in Spokane who rides an EX-250.

I don't even have any friends in the local area that you could call "gear-heads" in even the most generic way. My brother calls them all "suburban lawn drones".

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
wow. That's incredibly lame. Haha if only they knew what your bike was when you rode by.

You should get some vinyls made like mine, only instead of 250R, it should say 250R Fi
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Thanks.

I think those of us that tinker and modify will all agree we just can't stop ourselves. In other words, this was bound to happen.

Would you believe that in the two years I've had it up and running with fuel injection I've never had the opportunity to show it to anyone who gives half a crap about motorcycles? Not even once. I don't have any close friends who ride and I don't know anybody here in Spokane who rides an EX-250.

I don't even have any friends in the local area that you could call "gear-heads" in even the most generic way. My brother calls them all "suburban lawn drones".
I totally understand how you feel. When I modded the front fairing and repainted mine I was SO excited to tell people what I did to it... Except no one understood cause no one I know rides lol. But you did an awesome job! We care !
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 02:23 PM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
I made a few bad choices when I initially built the fuel system
Me too. I bought a mostly useless EFI kit. I suppose I could have done worse though. When I finish converting mine, I suspect its going to have a lot in common with yours. So I might be bugging you for advice.

For riding buddies, check out local riding clubs and your local ABATE chapter:
Inland Empire
Sweet Old Bob's
2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:00 pm
Corner of Trent and Ralph
3243 E Trent Avenue
Spokane, WA 99220
509-710-7964

Based on the way you rode in the video, I suspect you'd enjoy riding with cruiser guys more than sport bikers. I have a friend that rides like you and if I lead I always end pulling over and waiting so he can get through a light. We have totally different riding styles.

I've ridden with my local ABATE chapter before and I'm not very keen on their loud pipes. The way I ride is that I constantly listen to the engine, road, traffic, & tires. And I react based on what I'm hearing. When I ride with those guys, it messes me up and end up not being able to control the bike well.

Regarding the microphone location, that's a good spot. I know other guys on youtube are mounting them inside their helmets so they can narrate as they go. Me, I prefer to keep it simple and use whatever is attached to the camera. I can always edit that out later.

Anyhow, congrats to you and your EFI conversion.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Great stuff Gregg. You got skills.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
cool stuff but... how was it running before? it seems about the same as my ninja now, but i never need to use the choke.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:02 PM   #11
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
cool stuff but... how was it running before?
It ran fine, such as it was. Some of us tinker, change and create. I've done it all my life.

I liked the stock EX-250, but I love my own unique version of the bike. And yes, it regularly and reliably starts immediately on the first press of the button at 20 degrees, which, according to Weather.com, is the lowest temperature ever recorded in Carlsbad, California (1963).

You're right, the difference that the FI makes in the bike isn't an overly obvious thing during most of its operation.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:14 PM   #12
greg737
-

Quote:
Based on the way you rode in the video, I suspect you'd enjoy riding with cruiser guys more than sport bikers.
Well, the video was from startup at 42 degrees through the first few minutes of warmup. Kinda made me laugh, imagining somebody starting their bike up and immediately bouncing it off the rev-limiter as they drag a knee out of the driveway. But, that said, you're right that I don't "drag knees" even after the bike warms up either. Thanks for the ABATE information. I've never joined in on a group ride.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:36 AM   #13
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Blue Ninja 250R, Yamaha SRV250

Quote:
I think those of us that tinker and modify will all agree we just can't stop ourselves.

... I don't have any close friends who ride...

I don't even have any friends in the local area that you could call "gear-heads" in even the most generic way...
I totally know what your mean, on all three counts.

I love to tinker & build and don't know anyone who gives a crap. Especially here in Japan, where people generally take their vehicle to the shop to do anything.

Reading your post reminded me of the blank looks I got trying to discuss/explain my power commander install & what fuel mapping is with the other expats that I work with.

It was interesting watching how fast your bike warms up with the ThermoBob. Definitely piqued my interest. Could be scheduled for my next round of mods. Riding this winter, I often thought the bike stays too cold. Since my commute is only about 15 minutes, it would rather that the bike warm up and stay properly warm.

"suburban lawn drones"
Sonofswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

42F a cold start! That's a summer in Scotland!
I'm very impressed with your fuel injection system, we started doing something similar at college to an old Robin Reliant owned by our lecturer, we got half way through before deciding just to stick an old Yamaha R6 engine in it instead, but hey, that did have fuel injection! Needless to say it was difficult to drive, the clutch in particular proved tricky, they are after all designed to be used with a lever and not a rusty pedal!

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #15
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz View Post
42F a cold start! That's a summer in Scotland!
I'm very impressed with your fuel injection system, we started doing something similar at college to an old Robin Reliant owned by our lecturer
Thanks.

I know the episodes are years old now, but I've enjoyed watching the guys from Top Gear repeatedly destroying Robin Reliants and Morris Marinas. There seems to be a general hatred of those two vehicles throughout the U.K. Finding creative ways to destroy them is apparently the absolute height of comedy.

Old April 4th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #16
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

I have always been tempted to get one, over here you can drive one on a motocycle license, not sure their what you would call a honey magnet though!