ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 30th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #1
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Gas Tank Bolts

Does anybody know what kind of bolts are the ones that bolt the gas tank to the frame? I sheared the top off of one putting it back on once, and only have one. I need to get another, but I don't know what the composition is, since its probably a type that's non-conductive. I'm guessing brass, since I twisted the head off so easily, but is that the right material? Don't know if brass is non-conductive or not. Thanks for the help in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I don't think it would be brass. You should be fine replacing it with a stainless bolt.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm thinking titanium but I could be wrong.

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Why does it need to be non-conductive? Are the pregen mounts different than the new gen? The mount has 2 mounting spots both which have rubber grommets I assume for anti-vibration but it would also be non-conductive. Bolt could be made of any metal in this case. I would think a good grade #8 bolt would fit the bill.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

There is a metal part that is a combination of a washer and a sleeve that the screw goes through the grommet, I'm not a mechanic, and don't know what its name is. Being the conservative that I am when in comes to the safety of my crotch, I'm trying to avoid putting anything that may arc from the frame, thus putting a 5 gallon bomb between my legs. Plus, being a complete ignoramus when it comes to anything electrical, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I was hoping that somebody with more knowledge on that would be able to answer. The bolts on the tank are different from any other bolt I've encountered on the bike, and since they screwed the tank on, I thought there might have been some reason for it that I wasn't aware of.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #6
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
There is a metal part that is a combination of a washer and a sleeve that the screw goes through the grommet, I'm not a mechanic, and don't know what its name is. Being the conservative that I am when in comes to the safety of my crotch, I'm trying to avoid putting anything that may arc from the frame, thus putting a 5 gallon bomb between my legs. Plus, being a complete ignoramus when it comes to anything electrical, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I was hoping that somebody with more knowledge on that would be able to answer. The bolts on the tank are different from any other bolt I've encountered on the bike, and since they screwed the tank on, I thought there might have been some reason for it that I wasn't aware of.
Posted via Mobile Device
All metal is conductive. What kind of bolts you use (other than a plastic bolt) won't make a difference. The bolts are probably just zinc plated steel bolts to help prevent corrosion. They have a bit of a yellow tint?

Old August 30th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #7
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I think there is better chance of your coils arcing over to the tank due to a shorting plug wire than anything arcing in the crotch area.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #8
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Haha. True true. Still, just wanted be sure. Maybe "non-conductive" was a bad choice. Maybe the least conductive would be a better term. Yes, they were of a yellowish-gold tint, that's why I initially thot brass, cuz I've twisted the heads off those many times trying to cob together my son's futon that I got from a friend. Eventually got so frustrated I went out and got stainless screws. LOL. But if you guys think there's enough insulation with the rubber gromets, then I'll go with any old bolt. Just thot there might have been a reason for using something other than the regular bolts found on the bike. Thanks for all the input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
just MAKE SURE that the replacement bolt you buy is the same length as the bolt that you're replacing!! a bolt that is even 2mm too long can and will puncture the tank
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #10
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Mos def. I'll bring the other one in with me. Thanks again all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 30th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #11
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Yeah they were most likely zinc-plated steel. I haven't seen, or would want to see a brass fastener used for something like that. The material is just too soft.

If you do find yourself shearing bolts quite often, I'd suggest getting a torque wrench if you don't have one. They're a great tool, I always use mine when tightening fasteners.

Old August 31st, 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Yeah, a torque wrench is on my to-buy list, as I also want to change my oil and adjust/replace my chain soon. That was the first one on the bike that was shorn, and it mustve been just a bolt that one of the PO's had lying around. My tank was a big wiggly and I tried to really crank it down and oops! Off with your head! But I did grab a bag of replacement bolts and popped it on in the parking lot. Had been riding around with 1 1/2 bolts holding the tank on. Yikes! All better.
Posted via Mobile Device