ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
NHrider19
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

clip on questions, lots of them.

Ok so I'm going to be buying some clip ons this week and i have a few questions to get cleared up. first off, Im pretty sure im gonna go with wc's that mount under the triple clamp (with the riser) so my questions are, what is the difference in mounting clip ons that mount below and above the triple clamp (obvously the mounting position) but what else, is there any down fall the either of them, which one would give a better feel? I dont take my bike to the track but drive alot of curvy roads. Which would give better confidence and a better feel for turning? I know mounting them below the triple clamp sits the bars lower then if you mounted them above, but if you got aftermarket clip ons that mounted above, they would still sit lower then stock correct? would it make any difference? anything else i should know about?
NHrider19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHrider19 View Post
Ok so I'm going to be buying some clip ons this week and i have a few questions to get cleared up. first off, Im pretty sure im gonna go with wc's that mount under the triple clamp (with the riser) so my questions are, what is the difference in mounting clip ons that mount below and above the triple clamp (obvously the mounting position) but what else, is there any down fall the either of them, which one would give a better feel? I dont take my bike to the track but drive alot of curvy roads. Which would give better confidence and a better feel for turning? I know mounting them below the triple clamp sits the bars lower then if you mounted them above, but if you got aftermarket clip ons that mounted above, they would still sit lower then stock correct? would it make any difference? anything else i should know about?
mounting it below the tripple will give you a better feel of the bike and a better feel of the road. mounting it above the tripple is the same as using the stock handle bars except it till be a little lower and you will have to lower the front end a little as well. yes you will get a better feel for turning but confidence comes from yourself.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it'll definitely add some horsepower. at very least you can tell people its to help drag elbow

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
NHrider19
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it'll definitely add some horsepower. at very least you can tell people its to help drag elbow
??...

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHrider19 View Post
??...
Welcome to the world of humor

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Understand that clip-ons will NOT alter the bike's geometry. Therefore they will NOT alter the bike's handling.

They WILL alter the ergonomics and how you perceive the experience of riding.

I installed clip-ons because I like the ergos better. This, to me, is the most important reason to do so.

Those that go below the triple make more of a change, so that's what I did.

You may also want to get rearset adjusters. With clip-ons you'll be pitched forward more. With the stock peg position, that might be a bit uncomfortable. Moving the pegs back and up will open your body back up a bit.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #7
NHrider19
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Understand that clip-ons will NOT alter the bike's geometry. Therefore they will NOT alter the bike's handling.

They WILL alter the ergonomics and how you perceive the experience of riding.

I installed clip-ons because I like the ergos better. This, to me, is the most important reason to do so.

Those that go below the triple make more of a change, so that's what I did.

You may also want to get rearset adjusters. With clip-ons you'll be pitched forward more. With the stock peg position, that might be a bit uncomfortable. Moving the pegs back and up will open your body back up a bit.
thanks for the help, Yea i plan on ordering a set of woodcrafts. Woodcraft is only an hour from me, so im gonna take a ride down tomorrow and get some. I also plan on getting rearset adjusters, not actual replacement rearsets, the relocating brakets since i have heard good from them.

Old July 11th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I have the adjusters. Not as sexy as real rearsets but waaaay cheaper and they work just fine.

Make darned sure to torque those bolts and use loc-tite!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #9
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
They definitely will alter the bike's handling, by moving the center of gravity forward.