ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

I was in an accident about an hour ago.. Long post

Before I start, just wanted to let y'all know me and Gremlin are okay. No one got towed away, in a body bus or on a tow truck. The truck that hit me was one of the newer model Dodge 1500 single cab short bed.

I took my CHL class today which got out about 1800 and it was the first nice day in a few days (I always get off work too late to go riding during the week) and I figured I could get maybe an hour in riding before it got too dark. Monday night freezing rain is supposed to hit so I'm definitely not riding for awhile. I do my little ride around town and start to head home, 15 minutes away max.

It's dark. The road I'm on is 4 lanes, 2 going opposite directions. Speed limit max is 40mph. It switches from 35 to 40 in different areas. I am in the right hand lane, the slower lane, to stay out of the way. Barely any traffic whatsoever. All of a sudden I see this VW station wagon looking thing that is really close to the ground pull out from a gas station on my left hand side and just drive straight across the road and pull up right in front of a curb. I was like, wtf, is he trying to make a u-turn or something and misjudged how tight he should have turned? So I'm waiting for his reverse lights to go on and because that's the only place it can go - backwards. There is no way this idiot thinks he’s going to try and jump that curb in his lowered VW.. Oh, but yes, yes he did!

By this time I was going pretty slowly, maybe 20mph. I realize what this idiot is doing so I weave, not swerve, but weave from my lane to the left hand lane back into my lane in a much exaggerated manner to make sure the VW knew that I was going around him. That’s why I emphasis I weaved around him, not swerved, because it was very slow and very obvious what I was doing and why I was doing it. I’m back in my left hand lane picking up speed, but I’m not in a hurry cause I’m watching for more idiots. Next thing I know all I can see is blinding lights in my mirrors and something slams into the back end of my bike. I wasn’t able to react in time because I was blinded/frozen (deer in the headlights almost) by the headlights filling my mirrors and the next second she hit me.

I was still staring into my mirrors when she hit me and I saw her try and swerve to the right to avoid me but it was too late. She pulls off the side of the road and I pull in front of her. So what had happened? She saw the VW, she saw me pull around them, she took her “eyes off the road for a moment” (her words) I assume to see what the hell that VW was doing, (I have no idea if she swerved too or if they had cleared the road when she passed them – like I said there was no traffic around me whatsoever when I first saw this VW) and by the time she turned her head back to the road she was already speeding and rammed into me as she jerked to the right. I was going maybe 5mph under the speed limit, I wasn’t just pussy footing around in lala land.

I pull up onto the gravel side walk/road and park my bike. She tries to come up and talk to me but I just motion to her give me one second, not even making eye contact. I’m sure some of you remember my road rage post earlier and I was getting my emotions in check at the moment. I dismounted the bike and took my helmet off so I could breathe and not panic. I turn back around to go talk to the woman and try and make sense of what just happened. She already her insurance written on a scratch piece of paper for me and was apologizing as I was dialing my dad on the phone. My husband is deployed, no family around for hours, and I had the crap scared out of me. My dad calmed me down as I explained what happened and I was able to talk to the woman.

She said she was sorry again and I asked if she called the cops. She said no because she was late on her way to work (reason she was speeding I assume). I notice she’s wearing pink pajama thingys that nurses wear and I’m like no way.. I ask her if, by chance, she’s a nurse. She says yes and I just start busting up laughing. I then explain to her this is my very first accident on my motorcycle and of all the people to get hit by I was lucky enough to get hit by someone that was trained to actually scrape me off the road and try to keep me alive until a body bus arrived.

So God was seriously watching out for me. Here’s why:
1. She ended up not straight on ramming me in the back of the bike. Because she swerved to the right side of the road ONLY the tip of the left hand side of her bumper made contact with my muffler and nothing else. Also I was on the very left hand side of the lane close to the dotted white line so there was room for her to swerve and not completely take me out.
2. My bike stayed up right. I was going slow enough (I’m guessing is part of the reason) that when my rear end was rammed it didn’t do anything crazy and try and buck me off.
3. And the most important reason - My very first accident and I get hit by a NURSE. How much luckier could I get?

Now onto the pictures. Please don’t laugh too hard at my drawing. I suck at explaining things and pictures always helped me so here it is..

The middle yellow part is the turning lane that splits this road in half for it’s entire length. The thick black lines are the curbs. The breaks in the thick black lines are the entrances to the gas stations (green squares) and the liquor store (blue square) – pretty sure that’s where the VW was headed. The red line is the path the VW took starting from the left hand side going to the right. The red square is the vehicle itself and how much of the road it was blocking when I passed it. The blue line is me. The yellow line is the truck. The pink mist.. Well yeah. That’s where I had a come to Jesus meetin.

Now pictures of the damage..

GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Wow... Thank God you are alright. So sorry you got hit by someone not paying attention. And they tell us to be careful...
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #3
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

So if i read correctly , you got through this without a scratch on yourself.
Gad to hear you are Ok !

For your bike get an estimate for repairs then buy your own parts on E-Bay,
the have mufflers for under $75 when a factory one would be over $ 400

My bike got knocked over in a parking lot. Estimate was over $1000 and i fixed it myself for under $300

Last futzed with by CRXTrek; January 25th, 2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: add
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Oh my! I am so glad you are okay! Seriously!

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
kkim

Tor,

You are extremely lucky. Things could have been much, much worse as I imagine you already know. Very good of you to be able to keep your emotions in check as I remember your road rage thread.

The bike doesn't seem too badly damaged, though you will surprised how much that muffler is gong to cost. Are you contemplating settling outside insurance? if so, show her the retail for a muffler and use the money to buy an aftermarket can or system.... think of it as your reward for handling the situation like an adult.

Go home, have a few drinks and talk with your husband to garner some much deserved support and vent.

Glad you made it out okay... hope you don't find additional damage related to the muffler being bent. If you are not sure, have a shop check out the bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Good to hear you are OK and the bike has not taken too much damage! Is it time to get an aftermarkey exhaust?

I had my first acceident the other day, it must be the best sort that can happen (if you can say that) was at very low speed and my bike got no damage.

Moral of the story, people tell us to be careful and that is to be careful of the idiots on the road who do not pay attention.
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Sorry to hear...glad you're ok!

With everyone upgrading exhausts, hopefully you can find something dirt cheap.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Thank you all for your support! Really. I was kinda at a loss when I got home because I had no one to talk to or go to so you guys saying all this means a lot..

CRXTrek and Kkim, yes I was thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and getting them to assess the damage. After I have that in hand I was going to call her and see if she wanted to settle without involving the insurance companies. She already told me she'd pay for it no matter what the cost and she accepted for being at fault.. Not that that matters because it's just her word that she gave me, but at least she bothered to say something like that at all.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #9
kkim

Is there a police report or at least some witnesses, if needed?

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Very happy to hear you're OK. Good on you for keeping your wits about you, and it's good fortune that it ended up as well as it did. And a big for not the woman when she came to talk to you afterwards.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #11
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

ebay....replacement stock exhaust
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09...Q5fAccessories

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #12
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

No, no police. She was in a hurry and I was in no mood to put up a fight after she gave me her insurance info. No witnesses as we were the only ones on the road when it happened.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Did you give her your insurance information (I assume so). If you did, you should call your insurance immediately to let them know what happened. Worst case is if you don't, and the woman has a change of heart (after talking to her friends/family/insurance adjuster), and "suddenly realizes" you were more at fault than she was. You want your insurance company to have your story when it is fresh in your mind. And the damage will of course support your story, because you are telling them the truth.

If you did not give her your insurance info, there's less of a rush to work through your insurance, on the off-chance that they'd consider raising your premiums due to an accident, though most will tell you that they'd never raise rates for an accident that wasn't your fault.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #14
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Did you give her your insurance information (I assume so).
No I didn't actually. I had them in my hand as I was on the phone with my dad and turned to talk to her and that's when she gave me the scrap of paper with her info on it. She had me verify the info she gave me was the same info on her card. I asked if she wanted my info (I think) but she said she was in a hurry and that's when she said she'd take care of all of it. Then as she was taking off she pulled into the lane and another car almost hit her.. I was still sitting there getting my heart rate back to normal.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Sounds good. Then, assuming you're completely unhurt, IMO there is no rush or need to contact your own insurance or the police at this point (or ever). CA has a state law that any accident with damage over $750 or something in that range needs to be reported to the police. Not sure if Texas has that. But looking at the pics, I doubt the damage would get close to that.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #16
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Wow, you did get lucky with this accident, no personal damage, little bike damage and a person that is very co-operative in getting this resolved

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #17
kkim

Stock OEM muffler price on Bike Bandit. Just the muffler, no covers, shields, brackets, etc.

18087: MUFFLER 7292219-001 $474.48

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #18
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Stock OEM muffler price on Bike Bandit. Just the muffler, no covers, shields, brackets, etc.

Good God.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #19
kkim

Personally, I would notify my insurance in the off chance she decides to change her story. I've seen this happen all too many times when there are no witnesses or police report.

Wish you a smooth and speedy resolution to your accident.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Not to suggest you're to blame for the collision, but I make a point to not be slower than traffic when on the bike for fear of getting rear-ended.

I had an almost a few month ago rolling up to a stop light in the left lane of a two lane highway. I was on the far right side of the left lane and some dude blows by me on the left, clips my left handlebar with his right mirror, and then slams on his brakes in front of me. I'm guessing he didn't see the red light. I had to swerve around him as he mashed the brakes in front of me, and he wouldn't even get near me after that to talk. I didn't pull over 'cause there was no damage and the driver was cowering away about 50 feet behind me at the next stop.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #21
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

...and with that money from her...

Area P full system -- $450
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_damion_019.jpg (195.4 KB, 15 views)

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #22
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Sallee View Post
Not to suggest you're to blame for the collision, but I make a point to not be slower than traffic when on the bike for fear of getting rear-ended.
No, the reason I said I was going only under 5 mph the speed limit was because there was no reason she should have hit me that hard if she was doing the speed limit as well. Also, the reason I was going slower is because I was still picking up speed from the 20mph I had slowed down to. I didn't want to just weave around them and then romp on the throttle without being able to look around make sure the coast was clear. No more VWs making a beeline for any more liquor stores.

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #23
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post

I will have to look into that..

If I contact her insurance and give them the price the dealership gives me can I -
1 - not involve my insurance company and just have them (her insurance) pay the dealership
2 - offer to have them pay just for a new exhaust (aftermarket) which would be cheaper than factory (what the dealership quoted)

I've never been in any kind of accident before so this is all new to me..

Old January 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #24
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post

Or for a little more, the Carbon Fibre version.

Either way, money from her to fix exhaust damage could turn into a cheap/free (moneywise) aftermarket exhaust for you Tor

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #25
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

My bike mods were paid by the one who knocked it over.

If she has a high deductable or tickets and prior accidents she may pay out of pocket to keep from reporting it. Thats how i got my money.

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
If I contact her insurance and give them the price the dealership gives me can I -
1 - not involve my insurance company and just have them (her insurance) pay the dealership
2 - offer to have them pay just for a new exhaust (aftermarket) which would be cheaper than factory (what the dealership quoted)
Couple ways this could go. For something of this relatively low dollar damage, it may make sense for the woman to pay you out of pocket rather than go through her insurance (and raise her premiums). If that's the case, anything you negotiate with her is completely fair game. If you want her to mow your lawn for 6 months, 4 free backrubs, and a AreaP full system, and she agrees to that, all is well.

If you go through her insurance company, it gets a little more restricted. The company will only pay what it determines to be your actual damages. So you will need to get a quote from a shop stating what it would cost to bring the bike back to pre-accident condition, you submit it to her insurance company, they bicker with you about the cost, and in the end they cut a check. You should be able to get them to cut a check to you instead of the shop, though, then you can use that amount of money however you see fit. Gambling, booze, DVD's, or fixing the bike. As people have mentioned, it may be cheaper to in fact replace the stock exhaust with an aftermarket unit that will look better, sound better, and even perform better for less cost than the OEM muffler alone.

Be prepared for this to be a bit of a hassle. If you're patient and diligent, you'll likely end up a little ahead of the game financially.

Old January 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #27
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Thank you for breaking it down like that for me Alex. Gives me a better idea what I'm going to be expecting.

I'm gunna go hit the rack now and hopefully get the bike to the shop tomorrow. I'll update when I get new info. Thank y'all again for the support and all the info. Everyone's post helped me out.

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #28
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Tor - glad you're ok! It's scary being in an accident - especially when it is not your fault! When I've been hit in the past, I took it to the shop for estimates, then had the insurance cut me a check and did the work myself if possible, only sending out for the paint at a shop cheaper than the one where I got the estimate
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #29
Cling
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 06 Honda 1000RR, 08 Ninja 250

Pretty close call, my buddy totaled his SV650 today while we were out riding. I had to ride it back for him with no clutch, I was doing clutchless upshifts/downshifts the whole way back and had to use my hand to move the shift lever up and down because it was broken off too. Hah.

Old January 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #30
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

very happy to read you are ok !

Old January 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #31
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Glad to hear you are okay. Didn't get a chance to check this thread because I've been celebrating Chinese New Years with the family. But I'm really glad you're not hurt.

Old January 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #32
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
No, no police. She was in a hurry and I was in no mood to put up a fight after she gave me her insurance info. No witnesses as we were the only ones on the road when it happened.
No police..... cause she was in a hurry Screw her, you should have gotten a police report.

Good your OK, Hope things work out.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #33
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Glad you're ok Tor. Kind of ironic that it was a nurse that hit you though :/ My mother in law is an ER/trauma nurse and sees all the motorcycle accident victims (needless to say she was against me getting a bike).
xTKx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #34
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Is it just me, or is the rear tire in need of a little more tread? It looks pretty worn in the pics.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #35
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Is it just me, or is the rear tire in need of a little more tread? It looks pretty worn in the pics.
maybe you can somehow work out a deal with the lady for that as well

glad to hear you are ok. must have been scary. you went through one of the things we fear the most. knucklehead drivers!

i think the best car drivers are motorcycle riders, because we are conditioned to ride defensively. i know riding has made me a better driver anyway.

hope you are able to get your aftermarket exhaust as a reward for this ordeal.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #36
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Name: Alvin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R, previous bike owned 08 Ninja 250R Blue

Glad to hear your ok. Time for that aftermarket exhaust, probably cheaper then the stock one.
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #37
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Wow! Glad you're not hurt. If things had happened just a little different, it could have gone way worse. You kept it together amazingly well in the heat of the moment. Alot of people would not have been able to keep the bike up through that type of thing.

I'm really surprised that a nurse rushed away from an accident scene like that. She's obviously not an ER nurse.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #38
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Yeah I was thinking that too but I keep getting told 10k and then I'm supposed to change the tire.. But I honestly don't know when exactly is the right time to change the tire. I hear totally different things from lots of people..

Couldn't take the bike in today because today and tomorrow everything is supposed to be iced over. Boss even said if we have to come in at 0900 that's fine .. Coming in late never happens unless they fear for our safety/lives and even then it has to be bad. You know the government is, they'll do everything they can to make sure they make the most money they can outta someone, lol.

Still gunna try and take it in tomorrow though for estimates.. I'd really like to know how much in damage they think she did.

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #39
kkim

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking that too but I keep getting told 10k and then I'm supposed to change the tire.. But I honestly don't know when exactly is the right time to change the tire. I hear totally different things from lots of people..
There are tire wear indicators molded into each tire. Most will recommend changing when the tire wears down to that level.

http://rhhall.smugmug.com/gallery/795947_FWNLY

Old January 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #40
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Way to keep a cool head in a very tense situation. It is this type of response that let's people know we are real people under that helmet. I know you've learned a lot.

We be proud of you -