ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 11th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #1
kcguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja 250

Small surge a cruising speeds.

So I have a 2004 Ninja 250,It has a K&N filter and the dynojet kit using the .98 main jet.Up until recently this bike had a full Muzzy exhaust,but I have put back stock exhaust,and actually it runs much better and I enjoy it more.Anyway I notice a slight surge when going a constant cruising speed maybe between 5000 and 7000 RPM's.It idles perfectly runs smooth to redline when you get on it,warms up easy.So my question is do you think it is a little rich or a little lean? I have recently cleaned the carbs.Logically it should be a bit rich because i switched the exhaust,without changing anything else,but doesn't have other symtoms of being rich.
kcguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Normally surging is from a lean condition, check the needles and maybe try one clip lower to move the needles out to see if that helps.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
kcguy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Normally surging is from a lean condition, check the needles and maybe try one clip lower to move the needles out to see if that helps.
Ok I'll give that a try,going to try it without pulling out the carbs this time.So your saying to go from say 4 notches to five right?

Old September 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

It's worth a try, if it gets worse then you know which way to go next time. If it get worse on 3 than there is something more complex going wrong and it's time to pull the carbs and see what is happening.

Also check spark plugs and wires, I've had odd things happen with a loose plug letting compression change, also note that some plugs will start to leak around the ceramic which can cause odd things too.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5
kcguy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
It's worth a try, if it gets worse then you know which way to go next time. If it get worse on 3 than there is something more complex going wrong and it's time to pull the carbs and see what is happening.

Also check spark plugs and wires, I've had odd things happen with a loose plug letting compression change, also note that some plugs will start to leak around the ceramic which can cause odd things too.
Yeah thats a thought,It's got new plugs,maybe I didn't get one tight.Thanks for your suggestions.

Old September 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #6
kkim

usually surging at a constant cruising speed indicates a lean spot in the idle circuit. I fixed mine by adjusting the mixture screws. you can try going one notch richer on the needle first, as suggested, but I think that if the midrange is fine now, going one more notch will make the midrange go flat from being too rich.

if it already has a jet kit, perhaps the mixture screw plugs have been removed? if so, it's easy to tune the mixture screws w/o having to remove the carbs.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
kcguy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
usually surging at a constant cruising speed indicates a lean spot in the idle circuit. I fixed mine by adjusting the mixture screws. you can try going one notch richer on the needle first, as suggested, but I think that if the midrange is fine now, going one more notch will make the midrange go flat from being too rich.

if it already has a jet kit, perhaps the mixture screw plugs have been removed? if so, it's easy to tune the mixture screws w/o having to remove the carbs.
yeah the plugs have been removed,I believe I have them set at 2 1/2 turns out on both carbs.If you blip the throttle it has no hesitation and returns straight to idle speed,thats why it is puzzling to me.

Old September 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #8
kkim

try backing out the mixture screws till you get a rich indication, then go back in until it goes back to normal.

make sure the bike is fully warmed up when setting the the mixture screws. ride it like 10-15 minutes before to insure it's fully warmed.

also, have you synced the carbs?

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9
kcguy
ninjette.org member

I synced the carbs when I cleaned them,but that was before the exhaust swap.I'll try what you said with the mixture screws.

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
kkim

cool... let me know how it turns out. it sounds like you have a handle on how to work on the bike and that's good as fine tuning your jetting takes a lot of trial and error, plus a big heaping of patience.

Old September 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #11
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
plus a big heaping of patience.
Can you buy that at Sam's or do you have to go to the motorcycle shop?

Old September 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #12
kkim

you can get it at either... it's located right next to the elbow grease.

Old September 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #13
kcguy
ninjette.org member

well I've been divorced twice,and am a single parent of a 15 year old girl,that I have raised alone since she was 3...so one thing I do have learned is patience.Thanks for your help.

Old September 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #14
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Gordon let me know if you ever take a ride to the north.

Old September 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #15
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

This may be out of left field, but if it's really windy where you're at....it could just be the wind. No, really.

Just a thought, before you go tearing into the carbs....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Again, just thinking

Here's a thread from another site:

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=752121#752121
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #17
kcguy
ninjette.org member

That's a good thread Jerry,thanks.I'm going to keep all that in mind and ride it around some more and try to determine if it is something else.I need to make better notes when it happens like what rpm,wind even type of pavement,thanks again.