ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM   #81
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsheumaker View Post
So not much progress has been made since i have been out of town, but i did install the front wheel spacer, man its so much easier to put the front wheel back on. @DCMoney, awesome product thanks!

I got home from my trip yesterday and worked on my bike a little while a buddy was lining up his new body work on his CBR. only thing i did was remove the shock and dogbones getting ready to do my GSXR shock this weekend.

I am going to order my shim kit finally so i can get my valves finished and the engine back in the frame. Then its all downhill from there

Heres the installed spacer
Attachment 39319

When you need a triple stand and you just have a chair haha
Attachment 39321

Shock removed, sitting like a chopper right now
Attachment 39320

@csmith12 enjoy the sideways pics
What wt fork oil and what height did you go with? I am doing racetech springs and holding off on the GVE's but Need to replace the oil. I figure since I am 220lb without gear I am going with .90 springs and 20wt oil.
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:09 PM   #82
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ may want to go heavier on the springs I am 190 without gear and use .90 and my brother is 220 without gear and uses .95s and will probably bump to 1.0s
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:10 PM   #83
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
^^ may want to go heavier on the springs I am 190 without gear and use .90 and my brother is 220 without gear and uses .95s and will probably bump to 1.0s
well crap I already have them in hand. Probably best to go 20wt oil then. I am hoping to drop some weight as well. Also the bike is quite a bit lighter than stock with the exhaust and other bits removed.

Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:38 PM   #84
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
What wt fork oil and what height did you go with? I am doing racetech springs and holding off on the GVE's but Need to replace the oil. I figure since I am 220lb without gear I am going with .90 springs and 20wt oil.

I went with the recommended wt and height from RaceTech. Wanted to have a good baseline to make adjustments off of.

I am about 175 without gear and have the .85 springs. I believe i used 10wt could have been 15 though... but will have to check again.
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:17 PM   #85
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I went with the recommended wt and height from RaceTech. Wanted to have a good baseline to make adjustments off of.

I am about 175 without gear and have the .85 springs. I believe i used 10wt could have been 15 though... but will have to check again.
I am 175lb with no gear as well, I ended up with .90 springs with 15w oil due to my very, very late brake style of riding.

Quote:
well crap I already have them in hand. Probably best to go 20wt oil then. I am hoping to drop some weight as well. Also the bike is quite a bit lighter than stock with the exhaust and other bits removed.
You got time to drop some weight and you may be just fine with .90 depending on your riding style or it could be horrible too. That is the problem with buying springs based off weight info alone. just gunna have to give it a go and make your own judgement.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:51 PM   #86
bogiejr
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Wheel spacer

No more speed sensor?

Quote:
So not much progress has been made since i have been out of town, but i did install the front wheel spacer, man its so much easier to put the front wheel back on. @DCMoney, awesome product thanks!

I got home from my trip yesterday and worked on my bike a little while a buddy was lining up his new body work on his CBR. only thing i did was remove the shock and dogbones getting ready to do my GSXR shock this weekend.

I am going to order my shim kit finally so i can get my valves finished and the engine back in the frame. Then its all downhill from there

Heres the installed spacer
Attachment 39319

When you need a triple stand and you just have a chair haha
Attachment 39321

Shock removed, sitting like a chopper right now
Attachment 39320

@csmith12 enjoy the sideways pics
bogiejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:49 PM   #87
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiejr View Post
No more speed sensor?
What use would it have on the track?

Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:33 AM   #88
bogiejr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
What use would it have on the track?
Asking because this was a street bike also

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #89
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I am 175lb with no gear as well, I ended up with .90 springs with 15w oil due to my very, very late brake style of riding.
This worries me since i also late brake, i hope the .85s will be enough, dont want to have to rebuy springs now haha. These will work at least this whole season.

Quote:
No more speed sensor?
Quote:
Asking because this was a street bike also
Jon, Yea i am not running a speedo anymore and the bike i slowly becoming less and less of a street bike at all. Im sure itll still see some days on the hill though.

Last futzed with by Dsheumaker; January 25th, 2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #90
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

I picked up a new toy toy yesterday to continue my skills development. Man is this thing a blast to ride!!! its a CRF150RB

And for the people that know me... yes i know its a Honda, even though that pains me i think i will survive haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crf150rb.jpg (177.2 KB, 2 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:51 AM   #91
bogiejr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
This worries me since i also late brake, i hope the .85s will be enough, dont want to have to rebuy springs now haha. These will work at least this whole season.

Jon, Yea i am not running a speedo anymore and the bike i slowly becoming less and less of a street bike at all. Im sure itll still see some days on the hill though.
I hope you can still run the hill !

Old January 25th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #92
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Crossing my fingers for you that it will work out just fine.

Here are some other notes about my front setup. I have the gold emu's installed and slingshot preload caps turned down 3 full turns. When it's cold (sub 40 degrees) It don't feel all that great with the pirelli mounted but if I drop a lbs or maybe 2 from the tire, it seems to come back to me. Put a zip tie around a fork leg and see where it lands, I have about 4mm of space at the bottom. And for god sake, don't be stiff on the bars post apex or you will end up on your arse. lol

Old January 25th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #93
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Crossing my fingers for you that it will work out just fine.

Here are some other notes about my front setup. I have the gold emu's installed and slingshot preload caps turned down 3 full turns. When it's cold (sub 40 degrees) It don't feel all that great with the pirelli mounted but if I drop a lbs or maybe 2 from the tire, it seems to come back to me. Put a zip tie around a fork leg and see where it lands, I have about 4mm of space at the bottom. And for god sake, don't be stiff on the bars post apex or you will end up on your arse. lol
Yea i need to get the whole bike back together so that i can measure my sags. I dont have the extra funds to get the adjusters right now so ill make a few different length spacers to keep with me if i need to adjust pre-load at the track.

Old January 25th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #94
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Quote:

You got time to drop some weight and you may be just fine with .90 depending on your riding style or it could be horrible too. That is the problem with buying springs based off weight info alone. just gunna have to give it a go and make your own judgement.
You also have to factor in bike weight. The lighter you make the bike, the lighter the spring you will need to use. Hopefully that works for me cause I bought .80 springs and I expect to be at 175lb by the beginning of my race season. The bike will be in superstock form with special attention to finding every allowable weight reduction, so we'll see where it lands with the combined bike/rider weight.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #95
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
You also have to factor in bike weight. The lighter you make the bike, the lighter the spring you will need to use. Hopefully that works for me cause I bought .80 springs and I expect to be at 175lb by the beginning of my race season. The bike will be in superstock form with special attention to finding every allowable weight reduction, so we'll see where it lands with the combined bike/rider weight.
Oh good point, we'll see though

Old January 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #96
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

True, I haven't really worked on cutting any weight of my bike, I just ride it. lol In my case, once it's done with it's track life it will be put back on the street.

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:27 PM   #97
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Can you tell me where you found a front wheel spacer? I've been looking and looking....I know the speedo drive doesn't weigh that much but it bothers me to just unhook it and leave it there. Thanks!
RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:39 AM   #98
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Can you tell me where you found a front wheel spacer? I've been looking and looking....I know the speedo drive doesn't weigh that much but it bothers me to just unhook it and leave it there. Thanks!
DcMoney sells them. You can buy them in this thread. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...t=wheel+spacer

Old February 2nd, 2016, 09:45 AM   #99
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
DcMoney sells them. You can buy them in this thread. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...t=wheel+spacer
Thank you!
RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #100
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

So things have been crazy busy over here with work and moving, so not much has been done to the 250... well nothing actually. I did get my shim kit in so ill be doing that this weekend i hope. But onto what has been stealing most of my time away this last week or so...

Buy a Honda they said.... It'll be fun they said....
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg

I will be rebuilding it, just will be a slow process.

Old February 11th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #101
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Progress! Progress!

So i have been placed in a time crunch to get the bike back together now since i got invited to work at a track weekend and ride half of the time for free... So this takes a full month off my rebuild time. So ive been putting in the hours to get it done. Here's the progress....

Got my valve lash all taken care of and the engine back together, its been mounted in the frame and case breather installed. Also got my cut down harness back in the frame also.

IMG_1162.jpgIMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpg

Last futzed with by Dsheumaker; February 11th, 2016 at 12:27 PM.

Old February 11th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #102
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

I guess i really need to start taking my pics the other way so they arent sideways haha

Old February 11th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #103
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
I guess i really need to start taking my pics the other way so they arent sideways haha
Your loyal viewers would appreciate it

Old February 11th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #104
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Your loyal viewers would appreciate it
You mean I have loyal viewers???

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #105
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Making more and more progress every night now. How the carbs in, rear shock all tightened up, all the grounds secured, still messing with the throttle cables.

Tonight ill be doing the plugs, put the tank on, throttle and clutch cables, rad. and res mount also... I am hoping to get this thing going some time next week

Capture.JPG Took me a bit to get it to straighten the pic out haha

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

Old February 12th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #106
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

I have just done very similar things to my 2009 in prep for track day. I will be curious what suspension settings you end up with on the GSXR rear, I went with the 600 shock but the 1000 spring since I am 215lb

Old February 12th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #107
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I have just done very similar things to my 2009 in prep for track day. I will be curious what suspension settings you end up with on the GSXR rear, I went with the 600 shock but the 1000 spring since I am 215lb

I havent adjusted the rear shock yet, waiting till I get the whole bike together so i can start taking measures and what not for it.

Old February 12th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #108
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I havent adjusted the rear shock yet, waiting till I get the whole bike together so i can start taking measures and what not for it.
only other thing I noticed when test riding today was my top triple seems not in line with the front wheel. Not sure how though. Ill have to eyeball it again

Old February 12th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #109
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
only other thing I noticed when test riding today was my top triple seems not in line with the front wheel. Not sure how though. Ill have to eyeball it again
Sounds like you need to loosen both triples and make sure that your forks are aliened.

Old February 12th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #110
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sounds like you need to loosen both triples and make sure that your forks are aliened.
yeah, i will have to take a look at it again

Old February 17th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #111
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:

If you grab a handful of brakes like you're flicking a light switch then you are more likely to bottom your forks. If you progressively squeeze the brakes to full pressure you'll upset the chassis less and will be less likely to bottom out the forks.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #112
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
If you grab a handful of brakes like you're flicking a light switch then you are more likely to bottom your forks. If you progressively squeeze the brakes to full pressure you'll upset the chassis less and will be less likely to bottom out the forks.
I ran the stock springs with 15wt oil this past season and only bottomed out a couple times, maybe i dont late break as much as i thought haha.

Old February 17th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #113
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

IMG_1190.jpg
Everything is coming together nicely now, just the the small stuff left now. Decided to see what she looked like with some fairings on.
IMG_1208.jpg
A few buddies and myself built a bike stand since i have a bad back. Cant wait to really use it. ( dont judge the mess, still getting the basement sorted)
IMG_1199.JPG
Starting to repair some damage to the used fairings that i picked up.

Just placed an order for my light weight battery, chain, sproket and think thats it. I got my exhaust gaskets today so i should be able to fire her up again soon... im super nervous haha.

Old February 17th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #114
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I ran the stock springs with 15wt oil this past season and only bottomed out a couple times, maybe i dont late break as much as i thought haha.
Unless the rear is coming up or stepping out at the 25ft point before turn in, then... How you got there should always be progressive, no stabbing and grabbing at the brakes ya know.

Admiring your progress. You keeping the red color?

Old February 17th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #115
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Are those Chris's fairings off the number 511???
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #116
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

They look like Ed's old plastics.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #117
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

I believe the guy's name was Ed, he's out of Atlanta. They didn't have numbers on them when I got them so not sure there.

@csmith12 the color scheme is a secret haha

Old February 17th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #118
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's funny, they look just like Chris's and I wasn't sure if he'd gotten new fairings or a new bike or what. You should just leave them red and be twinsy's.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #119
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
That's funny, they look just like Chris's and I wasn't sure if he'd gotten new fairings or a new bike or what. You should just leave them red and be twinsy's.

Yea the fairings and paint are pretty rough, the guy i got them from said the paint is like 5 years old haha. Plus i want to go back to a theme ive had on my last track bike, people knew it was me haha

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #120
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

@choneofakind how often you come down to the dragon?