ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old February 10th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #1
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Name: Dante

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, R.I.P 1986 Ninja EX250

Question Switch to DOT 5 brake fluid...

So I'm wanting to switch out to DOT 5 brake fluid, not 5.1 just to clarify.

I've done some research, searching, etc. And know I'll be good on my lines since they'll be brand new, untouched SS lines. I'd have to replace my caliper seals, and dust boots, as well as thoroughly flush the system with denatured alcohol.

Question is; has anyone here done this? Any other problems for me to look for?

I don't really care about the cost of it, or the work I'll be putting in if I can do it. I've got a sour past with the old corrosive brake fluids, and I'd love to wave goodbye to them for good.
DanteCoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Copied from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

"DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with anti-lock brake systems."

Copied from
http://collision.alldata.com/online2...ot_3_or_41.htm

"As a rule, vehicles equipped with anti-lock brakes (ABS) should not use DOT 5 brake fluid........
Silicone also has slightly different physical properties and compressibility, making it unsuitable for ABS systems calibrated to work with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid."
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #3
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Copied from

Copied from

"As a rule, vehicles equipped with anti-lock brakes (ABS) should not use DOT 5 brake fluid........
Silicone also has slightly different physical properties and compressibility, making it unsuitable for ABS systems calibrated to work with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid."
Yup, dis.

Get a high quality brake fluid like Motul or something similar.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #4
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Copied from

Copied from

Awwwww, didn't come across that when researching. Thanks a ton! Sucks that I won't be able to convert to DOT 5, but I suppose I'll just have to be careful with some good DOT 4, and not allow anyone else to mess with my brakes.

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCoal View Post
Awwwww, didn't come across that when researching. Thanks a ton! Sucks that I won't be able to convert to DOT 5, but I suppose I'll just have to be careful with some good DOT 4 or 5.1, and not allow anyone else to mess with my brakes.
Any Glycol Ether based fluid is good.
The main problem is the slow but sure absorption of humidity from the air.
That water that enters the system causes more than one problem (corrosion, vapor bubbles, etc.).
Periodical replacement of the fluid, at least as recommended by the manufacturer, is the only way to keep those problems away.

Then, fully cleaning the pistons of the calipers when replacing pads, will keep those moving freely and the surface of the cylinders smooth.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #6
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

This is the second or third thing I have heard of switching from dot 4 to dot 5 in the past month. What is the advantage of Dot 5 brake fluid?

Old February 11th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
What is the advantage of Dot 5 brake fluid?
Heat! Or specifically boiling point. It really means squat at sane street paces unless you're really after feel, but for top pace track riders, brake fade is real and this can help along with top quality pads and rotors.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #8
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
This is the second or third thing I have heard of switching from dot 4 to dot 5 in the past month. What is the advantage of Dot 5 brake fluid?
The advantage for me would be that DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone based, and non corrosive. Won't mess up paint, plastic, etc. Besides that, each subsequent grade of brake fluid has higher heat resistances. However as csmith12 pointed out, that isn't something that tends to matter under normal conditions.

Old February 11th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #9
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
A disadvantage of DOT 5 brake fluid is that it is slightly more compressible than DOT 3 and DOT 4.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
This is the one I use, but regardless which one chooses, they all need to be flush and filled with new fluid at regular intervals.

I do mine with every pad change, along with servicing the calipers.

Here more information

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/re...1-brake-fluid/

https://m.motul.com/ca/en-us/product...-1-brake-fluid
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOT_5.1_Brake_Fluid_(GB).pdf (17.9 KB, 0 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #11
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

After doing some more research and finding why DOT 5 doesn't work with ABS systems, it makes sense now. The difference in compression is a slight issue, however the big one seems to be that DOT 5 likes to foam up and create lots of air bubbles when run through an ABS system.

Almost makes me regret getting the ABS model... Almost. 99.999% of all my riding is in the city, or on the highway. The closest I get to putting my bike through it's paces is when I take a ride through the country and manage to open the throttle a bit more. Given that, I'll probably just stick with DOT 4 fluid, since I'd never get close to the boiling temps where I'd need to think about fade.

Guess I'll just waste my money elsewhere on the bike. =P

Old February 14th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #12
2fiddy-trackpair
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250r

I have run several different bikes at the track and never had a problem. Even running the mountains in Arkansas at some very spirited paces I can say that a well maintained brake system will never give you any problems. Just stick with what the manufacture calls for.
2fiddy-trackpair is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

That's one of my major points, proper maintenance is the key, and sometimes overlooked in my experience.

I have help friends who have issues with brakes, and most of the time just a service of the components and flush and fill fixes the issues. The amount of neglect I have found over the years is is disturbing, and alarming, considering the importance of brakes.

Whenever I get a used bike, brake system service is the first item on my list, just like oil change would be.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 14th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #14
2fiddy-trackpair
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
That's one of my major points, proper maintenance is the key, and sometimes overlooked in my experience.

I have help friends who have issues with brakes, and most of the time just a service of the components and flush and fill fixes the issues. The amount of neglect I have found over the years is is disturbing, and alarming, considering the importance of brakes.

Whenever I get a used bike, brake system service is the first item on my list, just like oil change would be.
Amen, if the fluid is even slightly discolored it is time for a flush.
2fiddy-trackpair is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fiddy-trackpair View Post
Amen, if the fluid is even slightly discolored it is time for a flush.
As I've stated, I do mine when I do my pads, along with servicing the calipers.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 19th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #16
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Motul RBF if you are REAAAAALY worried about it. But if you are only doing street riding, you wont need anything more than FRESH fluid. Once a year, flush the system with new fluid.

I havent had issues with brake fade yet, even when I was testing/experimenting with how hard I could brake on a flat straight road when I first got the bike. 30-40 (I lost count after 20...) HARD stops repeatedly didnt fade them horribly, and thats with whatever Kawasaki put in there and stock pads. You are worrying over nothing, honestly.

Old March 8th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #17
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

WHY ? DOT4 is a fantastic brake fluid & was developed for the very purpose you are using your bike. DOT5 does NOT improve braking performance, it was created at a time when hoses, seals etc were rubber (as in the real stuff) to stop water ingress to the brake fluid, because its NOT hydroscopic like ormal brake fluids.

Time has moved on, all seals are man made polymers now, so water absorption is no longer a real issue. Chnage the DOT4 every 2-3 years & service your calipers & everything will be fine. You don't need to change caliper seals when you strip & rebuild a caliper unless they are misshapen, swollen or distorted in some way. Use brake cleaner on them regularly & they will stay working better longer.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #18
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
WHY ? DOT4 is a fantastic brake fluid & was developed for the very purpose you are using your bike. DOT5 does NOT improve braking performance, it was created at a time when hoses, seals etc were rubber (as in the real stuff) to stop water ingress to the brake fluid, because its NOT hydroscopic like ormal brake fluids.

Time has moved on, all seals are man made polymers now, so water absorption is no longer a real issue. Chnage the DOT4 every 2-3 years & service your calipers & everything will be fine. You don't need to change caliper seals when you strip & rebuild a caliper unless they are misshapen, swollen or distorted in some way. Use brake cleaner on them regularly & they will stay working better longer.
The single reason for wanting to switch to DOT 5 (which I've since learned I can't do, due to the way the ABS system works) is because of the corrosive properties of other brake fluids. No other reason at all. Just me not wanting to risk getting a drop anywhere on my precious.

Old March 8th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #19
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Shop towels.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #20
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
My two cents.
Don't do it.
It foams and is a bitch to blead,plus all the other disadvantages. It is hydrophobic that is good. But not worth the trouble. Dot 3 just plain works.

It is easy to remove the top of the master cylinder . Stuff a rag on and wipe out all the old fluid. Then refill the master cylinder. Just do that at the end of the season or when ever and forget it.

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #21
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

The simple answer is water in a spray/mister thing, before I start work on bleeding brakes, I spray water over the whole area where fluid may potentiall drip or run, the water neutralises the brake fluid instantly & stops it damaging paint or finishes !

YMMV
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #22
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
The simple answer is water in a spray/mister thing, before I start work on bleeding brakes, I spray water over the whole area where fluid may potentiall drip or run, the water neutralises the brake fluid instantly & stops it damaging paint or finishes !

YMMV
I can't believe I never thought to do that! Well, that fixes all my issues right there, lol. Thanks for the tip!