ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

wicking underwear + mesh gear = poor safety?

I am so tired of sweating on the bike, being hot and uncomfortable, in cotton boxer breifs, icon victory jeans, cotton tshirts, and my textile jacket. It's time to get with the program. I've done some investigating, and came up with a solution.

I have decided i am going to try the cheap wallmart drystar moisture wicking boxer-briefs and t-shirts (cheapo underarmour), with a set of mesh over pants (that can be converted to shorts by unzipping the legs), and mesh jacket. is anyone doing this now? what are your experiences with comfort and safety?

I am looking for summer specific gear only, i don't want anything that will sacrifice comfort to help me save money with insert-able liners for winter.

I don't see why in the new millennium i should even wear cotton anymore, its old technology. Silk/synthetic feels much nicer even off the bike.

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to gear section

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
kkim

There have been stories of synthetic materials melting and fusing to skin when heated during a slide while crashing. For that reason, mesh/synthetic type materials are frowned upon by some/many (?). The higher the speed while crashing, the greater the potential of this problem happening.

With that said, I have/use a mesh jacket and a synthetic material riding suit. Even then, the manufacture of the suit recommends wearing cotton/non synthetic undergarments.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Quote:
I have decided i am going to try the cheap wallmart drystar moisture wicking boxer-briefs and t-shirts (cheapo underarmour), with a set of mesh over pants (that can be converted to shorts by unzipping the legs), and mesh jacket. is anyone doing this now? what are your experiences with comfort and safety?
DryStar undergarments, mesh jacket, mesh pants--that's the BF's summer riding uniform, and he loves it. In fact, I'm sorta tired of hearing about the wicking effect of the DryStar.....

We live in South Florida....it's hot as hell no matter WHAT you're wearing, so he has added one of those vests that you soak in water before riding. He used it on his recent trip to Deal's Gap, and he said it was great.

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #5
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I have a mesh jacket, does well in hot weather but at the red light you're still gonna sweat. Been down on it twice-ish and it still looks untouched, just some light scruff marks. I love it, just make sure you get some decent armour in it.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #6
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

My vote is for perforated leather. It's been high 90s here and both my fiance and I have perforated leather jackets and its surprisingly cool to ride in them. Ryan had a textile jacket until I got him the leather jacket for his birthday. He raves all the time how awesome perforated leather is that he isn't sweating like crazy anymore. Granted we have dry heat, I have no idea how it would fare in humid areas.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #7
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
My vote is for perforated leather. It's been high 90s here and both my fiance and I have perforated leather jackets and its surprisingly cool to ride in them. Ryan had a textile jacket until I got him the leather jacket for his birthday. He raves all the time how awesome perforated leather is that he isn't sweating like crazy anymore. Granted we have dry heat, I have no idea how it would fare in humid areas.
im going to try a perf leather jacket, with drystar tshirt for upper body. now i just need to figure out the pants options., maybe i should just freeball it with some assless leather chaps.

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #8
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

My experience with perf. leather is that it's good up to about 75-80, but any hotter than that and it starts to get pretty darned uncomfortable. YMMV!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Has anyone tried one of the products from coolshirt?

I was looking at the site and thought the PC vest might work well if it lasts long enough. It is $190 on the site, but if it lasted long enough, I might go for that.

http://www.coolshirt.net/pc-vest.html

There was also a portable system that would last about 2 hrs before needing more ice but it is a bit pricey at $500.

http://www.coolshirt.net/comfort-cooler.html

Old June 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I wear wicking performance clothing also exclusively as undergarments while on the bike. Sometimes with synthetic gear, sometimes with leather. It is much, much more comfortable - heat gear in the summer, cold gear in the winter as baselayers.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #11
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

Name: Kensai

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Ninja 250R

My experience with a mesh jacket: when you are sweaty its fantastic, but once the sweat dries the hot air blowing on you feels just as hot as if you were sitting still. So in traffic or in the city when you stop and go a lot, stopping will help to keep the sweat going and make the ride comfortable. But once you hit the highway for extended periods you will dry up quickly and most likely won't enjoy the million hairdryers pointed in your direction.

I wear the Icon Arc Mesh, it has leather sleeves and the "fightermesh" feels a lot more durable than the Alpinestars and Fieldsheer mesh jackets I have tried.
fujimumu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #12
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
Has anyone tried one of the products from coolshirt?

I was looking at the site and thought the PC vest might work well if it lasts long enough. It is $190 on the site, but if it lasted long enough, I might go for that.

http://www.coolshirt.net/pc-vest.html

There was also a portable system that would last about 2 hrs before needing more ice but it is a bit pricey at $500.

http://www.coolshirt.net/comfort-cooler.html
Their "PC Vest" is a Phase Change vest. Here are some of my comments from the Phase Change Cooling Vest thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Yes. My wife and I have been using them for a few years and they make all the difference!!

In our area the temps stay above 100º for at least three months of the year. It can be very challenging to stay out for any length of time without approaching the conditions for heat prostration. Having these vests allows us to stay ATGATT in comfort.

There are a number of web sites that sell phase change vests, you just gotta know what to search for.
The inserts on a phase change vest should be good for at least two hours, and they have no moving parts!!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #13
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
I don't see why in the new millennium i should even wear cotton anymore, its old technology. Silk/synthetic feels much nicer even off the bike.
LOL silk....I imagine guys with mullets and gold chains in clubs all over the world whenever I hear someone mention silk. I love cotton!

I bought the Scorpion Cool Rod mesh jacket from New Enough a few weeks ago because they were having a sale (it's $59.99 or something ridiculous). The mesh is pretty damn thick and is comparable to my textile riding jacket in thickness, but with a looser weaving on the textile material. I think it'll hold up okay in a crash. Is it on par with leather? Hell no...but it's an alternative to going squid, and is probably better than riding around with your leather jacket unzipped.

Now the key with the mesh jacket (so far anyway...my riding experience with it on is still fairly limited) is that even when you're standing still, you'll experience a nice 'cooling effect' if there's a breeze.....which is where most other varieties of jackets fail (never tried a full perf leather, tho). Let's face it, most jackets with decent venting will cool you down fine when you're moving. It's when you stop that things get....moist.

Oh i'd suggest getting a white jacket as well...no point in getting a black one and just roasting under the sun.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #14
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Under Armour underwear is pretty good. I wear them all the time, even when I'm not riding. I also wear mesh jackets. It gets over 100 degrees here. I have a leather perforated jacket which is nice, but I prefer the mesh once the temps are in the high 90s.

For a long ride, I also use some anti monkey butt powder. This is great stuff!
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #15
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I bought the Scorpion Cool Rod mesh jacket from New Enough a few weeks ago because they were having a sale (it's $59.99 or something ridiculous).
I've gotta give a little plug to newenough. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them. They have great prices and great service. If you sign up for their email, they will send you their specials all the time. They have some really great deals.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote