ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #1
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Please Help - Bike not running well

I have an 06 ninja 250 I was riding down the road about 50mph and the bike started running really bad, I have cleaned the carbs the gas is good and I think it is getting plenty of fuel. It is getting air. I think the problem may be in the spark but I don't know what to do now. I put new plugs in it. It's almost like the rpms are going up really slow and it is missing and backfiring. Like it is getting random spark could this be an ic igniter problem I just don't know what I should start trying to fix. The wires on the coils are still connected very good.
Thanks for the help.
CampinCracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Are the carbs synchronized?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Are the carbs synchronized?
Yes they are sync'd and it just did it driving down the road like something just went bad and I don't know what it is.

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Check the easy things first.

After you sync'd the carbs, did you connect the vacuum hoses correctly?

Have you checked that the petcock works properly?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #5
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Check the easy things first.

After you sync'd the carbs, did you connect the vacuum hoses correctly?

Have you checked that the petcock works properly?
I cleaned the carbs after it did this I didn't think it was a carb problem but I cleaned them anyway. I have taken them apart many times they are put back together correctly. It is running just like it did before I cleaned the carbs. The petcock is working correctly. I was just driving about 50 but I was hard on the throttle and then it just acted like it shut down and then it started missing and sputtering really bad all of a sudden which makes me think it is electrical or the motor lost compression. I don't really know where to go from here. Thanks for the replies.

Old November 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

How does it start up?

Does it idle at all?

Does it idle without choke when it's cold?

Is idle smooth once warmed up?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

With it running, wiggle the connectors where the two wires connect to each coil. If the bike changes the way it runs, then you have a broken wire inside the rubber connector shield. BTDT. I'd be riding along, suddenly it would take full throttle to maintain 55mph, then after a while it'd take off like a rocket. Very intermittent, very unpredictable. Took forever to track that problem down.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

I will try that thanks. It idles without my help when it's warmed up but I don't know if I would say smoothly

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
When you cleaned the carbs, did you get a chance to look at the diaphragms?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #10
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
When you cleaned the carbs, did you get a chance to look at the diaphragms?
The diaphragms were good and still makes the sucking noise when you push it up and let it down.

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #11
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I have heard of people saying that alcohol in the gas can cause lacquer in the bowls to dislodge and clog the carbs in motion. When you cleaned them, are you certain you got ALL of the little passageways clear? There are several of them in each carb.

When you are idling, the fuel takes a different route through the carbs so its possible to have it idle fine and run awful or run fine and idle awful.

Old November 15th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #12
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

Yes I am sure about the carbs I cleaned it good all the jets are super clean and then I seperated the carbs and pulled everything out of them and soaked them in berryman's b12 overnight

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #13
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

All things being equal, and assuming the carbs are truly clean, when you get an "all of a sudden" issue, most of the time it's the gas. Most likely that you got some fuel with water in it. Water doesn't burn like gas (obviously) and will make the bike act exactly as you described. Of course, it could be any number of other things too, but start by drianing the float bowls and checking the gas that comes out for water / contamination. You could also let the bike sit for a while and then draw off a bunch of gas fron the tank via the petcock (set to reserve) and check that as well. Any water or other contamination should be readily visible after letting the siphoned off gas settle for a minute or two.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #14
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinCracker View Post
Yes I am sure about the carbs I cleaned it good all the jets are super clean and then I seperated the carbs and pulled everything out of them and soaked them in berryman's b12 overnight
The reason I ask is because there are about three(?) micropassageways in each carb and it only takes one blockage to ruin your day. Soaking wont clean anything except cosmetic stuff. I hope you pulled the diaphragms out before soaking because they could get damaged. If they do, you've ruined the carbs.

I don't think its a wiring problem or bad gas or else it would act up when idling. Sometimes plugs can work fine at low speed, but act up at high speed or when hot. You can watch your tach and see if its vibrating when its acting up. That could indicate an ECU or ECU sensor issue. But I've never actually heard of anyone having a bad ECU. The ECU generates the pulses for the coils to make the spark.

Let us know what you find.

Old November 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #15
CampinCracker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The reason I ask is because there are about three(?) micropassageways in each carb and it only takes one blockage to ruin your day. Soaking wont clean anything except cosmetic stuff. I hope you pulled the diaphragms out before soaking because they could get damaged. If they do, you've ruined the carbs.

I don't think its a wiring problem or bad gas or else it would act up when idling. Sometimes plugs can work fine at low speed, but act up at high speed or when hot. You can watch your tach and see if its vibrating when its acting up. That could indicate an ECU or ECU sensor issue. But I've never actually heard of anyone having a bad ECU. The ECU generates the pulses for the coils to make the spark.

Let us know what you find.
Yeah I pulled the diaphragms out I have done carbs many times and I also blew out all of the passages with carb cleaner and also air as well, I'm going to try some new gas and see what it does I do have new plugs in the bike and it tuns on the same on all of the plugs. Thanks for the replies.