ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Soldjette

Well. I'm now officially a member of the ex-ninjette's club, at least for the time being. I miss my 250 (I want a 300 now), but for now I've upgraded to a clean 2007 650R!

This bike is fantastic. Feels familiar to me as an ex-250 rider, similar ergonomics, just a bit heavier and with more power. It's exactly what I was looking for.
Well, I really would have ideally preferred a 2012+ 650, but they're out of my budget range for now

The previous owner made a number of tasteful modifications to this bike and has even taken it to the Dragon.
It's already got:
  • Sport bars
  • Zero Gravity windshield - double bubble
  • stainless steel brake lines
  • aftermarket one-piece seat
  • anodized footpegs, rim stripes, LED tail light, integrated turn signal mirrors, new grips (not pictured), and other cosmetic mods

Ideally I'd love a 300 and 650 in my driveway
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and tips on upgrading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (133.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (139.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (148.4 KB, 14 views)
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #2
bergen
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 R1, 2009 Ninja 250R

Nice bike. Nice mods. Do you wish you got the 300 instead because of its smaller size?
bergen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen View Post
Nice bike. Nice mods. Do you wish you got the 300 instead because of its smaller size?
Hi / welcome!
Yeah, actually I'm realizing now how much I miss the maneuverability and "flickability" of the lightweight 250. Incredibly user friendly. I don't, however, miss the lack of highway passing power. It made me continually nervous on the highway, knowing I couldn't get away from certain situations.

But the new fuel-injected 300 would have the best of both worlds, from what I hear. Simplicity and handling of the 250, with a little extra top end oopmh for highway cruising. (And the gas mileage is better )

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Congrats on the purchase! Nice bike and nice mods!

Please check the frame though. A couple of these bikes are known to suffer from cracked frame issue.

Quote:
I have heard about a possible issue with the frame (chassis) on the Ninja 650R (ER-6F and ER-6N), what is this all about?

A. Some owners in both the USA and Europe have reported cracks to the frame in the area of the R/H forward engine mount. The cause of the fault appears to be that the distance between the upper motor mounts is too far apart during manufacture and when the motor is fitted and the mount bolts tightened excessive side loads is produced causing the right hand forward frame mount weld to crack under use. Kawasaki is carrying out a weld repair and repainting or replacing affected frames and shimming any gap so that any side load is removed. For 2007 models onward the welding on the R/H forward engine mount appears to have been improved.

Latest details including pictures are located in a PDF file on the homepage of this website. Owners are urged to monitor this area and contact Kawasaki or their dealer should any faults become evident.
This website is an excellent resource for the 650R.

Have fun riding!
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Nice bike and nice mods!

Please check the frame though. A couple of these bikes are known to suffer from cracked frame issue.

This website is an excellent resource for the 650R.

Have fun riding!

Thanks. Actually I've heard about the frame issue as well. But from what I've read in the past, it was an issue mostly on the 2006 model; it sounds like complaints about it were uncommon from 2007 and up.

That website is great. Already referenced it after it came up in a few google searches I'll double check the frame when I get home.

Old November 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
bergen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
But the new fuel-injected 300 would have the best of both worlds, from what I hear. Simplicity and handling of the 250, with a little extra top end oopmh for highway cruising. (And the gas mileage is better )
Not to mention MUCH lower highway cruising rpm
bergen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Not to mention MUCH lower highway cruising rpm
Just a side effect. I liked the high revs on the Ninjette!

Old November 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #8
YunMing
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): (Sold) 2007 Red Ninja 250r, 2003 Cbr 600 F4i

Half faired SV650 or naked. There is also the new CBR 500 coming soon.
YunMing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #9
bergen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
9 grand for 75mph is a bit too high. The highway drains all my gas haha

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Very nice, congrats
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Nice!!
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Thanks! Now I just need some warmer gear....

Old November 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #13
bergen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Now I just need some warmer gear....
Heated gear perhaps?

Old November 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #14
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Ideally! It's just way too expensive to be worth it to me less than 3 months out of the year.

I'll probably just keep stacking up the layers until I look like a snowman.

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #15
bergen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ideally! It's just way too expensive to be worth it to me less than 3 months out of the year.

I'll probably just keep stacking up the layers until I look like a snowman.
I got a Firstgear dual heated portable troller, heated jacket liner and heated gloves for about $350 shipped from motorcycle superstore. Not too bad if i'm going to be riding from november until march. My hands get cold fast, and too many layers makes me have to squeeze the grips too hard.

But the many layers would definitely work for the Jacket liner. But I read with all heated gear it feels like spring in the middle of january They will be arriving this weekend. Figured the $160 for the jacket liner wasnt that bad, especially if it lasts me for 5+ years.

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

It's really tempting man... Let me know how you like them. If anything at all, I'm considering heated gloves. My hands are definitely the first thing to get cold.

Old November 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #17
bergen
ninjette.org member

The heated gloves work great the sides and back of my hand are so warm, there isnt much heat on the palm side of the gloves I guess to keep down on bulk, but I wear a cotton stretch glove underneath and they are quite warm. Might take a couple minutes to warm up the cold metal bars. And the jacket is great too, even the neck collar portion is heated. which is great because my windshield deflects all the wind up to my neck. Best investment I made. If you dont buy the jacket you will need an adapter for the gloves. I think everyone riding November or later should have this heated gear!

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Eldiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Sweet bike man! Love that blue. Guy I go to school with has the same bike!
Eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
The heated gloves work great the sides and back of my hand are so warm, there isnt much heat on the palm side of the gloves I guess to keep down on bulk, but I wear a cotton stretch glove underneath and they are quite warm. Might take a couple minutes to warm up the cold metal bars. And the jacket is great too, even the neck collar portion is heated. which is great because my windshield deflects all the wind up to my neck. Best investment I made. If you dont buy the jacket you will need an adapter for the gloves. I think everyone riding November or later should have this heated gear!
Nice. I think I'm going to pick up a pair. I might start with just heated glove liners -- they seem like they'd be a better solution for me now since I already have some winter gloves (but they aren't warm enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablo View Post
Sweet bike man! Love that blue. Guy I go to school with has the same bike!
Thanks! I love the color. And I'm usually partial to Kawi Green.
It's a lot of fun to ride... I just want to throw an exhaust on it. Stock is so boring.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #20
RockyCapone
ninjette.org member

Name: Rocky

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Let us know how it does with fuel mileage. I cruise all day at 75-80 and yea 9-10k rpms is a little bit much-Im afraid I'll wear the little guy out in no time. I to am doing the debate right now a new gen 250, or 300, or get a 650 to handle expressway speeds here and put it at lower rpms. How do you like the power? Way more power or not as much as you expected.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCapone View Post
Let us know how it does with fuel mileage. I cruise all day at 75-80 and yea 9-10k rpms is a little bit much-Im afraid I'll wear the little guy out in no time. I to am doing the debate right now a new gen 250, or 300, or get a 650 to handle expressway speeds here and put it at lower rpms. How do you like the power? Way more power or not as much as you expected.
I can tell you coming off of a 250 -- Although the power isn't what you'd get from a supersport, the jump from the 250 will REALLY take you by surprise. Plenty of power to lift the front wheel up... and with a 1/4 mile time of 12 flat, it's way more than enough for me.

What I like most about it, and the main reason for my upgrade, is the fact that this bike is way more highway cruise-capable... It's like having the 250 but with the bonus of being able to actually cruise all day long at 75 - 80 mph and not feel like the bike is straining. You also have way more passing power on the highway than your average performance car (Mustang GT, etc).

It's a lot more comfortable on the highway too with the heavier weight and taller windscreen, although I'd recommend the sport bars upgrade if you want to be able to comfortably tuck behind it (mine has them).

Haven't calculated gas mileage yet but it's reported to be from 45 mpg (worst) to 55 mpg (best).

Highly recommended upgrade if you're coming up from a 250 and plan to do some highway riding.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Although from what it seems, the new Ninja 300 will be plenty more highway capable than the previous generation 250. I don't have any personal experience with it, but if you want to keep the 250's awesome light-handling characteristics but add a little more highway peace-of-mind, I'd recommend the 300. I like to have even a little more still, so I went with the 650! Plus... you can get a previous-gen 650 for a lot less cash than a new 300.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #23
RockyCapone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I can tell you coming off of a 250 -- Although the power isn't what you'd get from a supersport, the jump from the 250 will REALLY take you by surprise. Plenty of power to lift the front wheel up... and with a 1/4 mile time of 12 flat, it's way more than enough for me.

What I like most about it, and the main reason for my upgrade, is the fact that this bike is way more highway cruise-capable... It's like having the 250 but with the bonus of being able to actually cruise all day long at 75 - 80 mph and not feel like the bike is straining. You also have way more passing power on the highway than your average performance car (Mustang GT, etc).

It's a lot more comfortable on the highway too with the heavier weight and taller windscreen, although I'd recommend the sport bars upgrade if you want to be able to comfortably tuck behind it (mine has them).

Haven't calculated gas mileage yet but it's reported to be from 45 mpg (worst) to 55 mpg (best).

Highly recommended upgrade if you're coming up from a 250 and plan to do some highway riding.
lol just when I thought I had it all figured out. Ok then I guess the hunt is on for 650 then. 12's damn thats a lot for what the 650 is. 50ish mpg is great compared to 16's in my Ridgeline. I love my pregen but I dont think she is right for this part of town. And considering I drive from Kingman to Bullhead at least 4-5 times a week I need more power for that speed alone. Thanks for th input.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #24
RockyCapone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Although from what it seems, the new Ninja 300 will be plenty more highway capable than the previous generation 250. I don't have any personal experience with it, but if you want to keep the 250's awesome light-handling characteristics but add a little more highway peace-of-mind, I'd recommend the 300. I like to have even a little more still, so I went with the 650! Plus... you can get a previous-gen 650 for a lot less cash than a new 300.
TOTALLY! Thats why I was asking about the mileage on the 650. But 50 mpg aint bad.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
lol just when I thought I had it all figured out. Ok then I guess the hunt is on for 650 then. 12's damn thats a lot for what the 650 is. 50ish mpg is great compared to 16's in my Ridgeline. I love my pregen but I dont think she is right for this part of town. And considering I drive from Kingman to Bullhead at least 4-5 times a week I need more power for that speed alone. Thanks for th input.
Hah awesome. See if you can go sit on one at the dealer... the new 2012+ 650s are a lot nicer than the previous models, with reduced vibration, smoothed out power curves, and a little extra torque. Good luck man.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #26
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
TOTALLY! Thats why I was asking about the mileage on the 650. But 50 mpg aint bad.
Haha, ride it like a super-grandma and you could probably get 60mpg in good conditions! I wouldn't be surprised

Old November 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #27
bergen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nice. I think I'm going to pick up a pair. I might start with just heated glove liners -- they seem like they'd be a better solution for me now since I already have some winter gloves (but they aren't warm enough).
If you want glove liners you will have to go one size up for your gloves from your normal glove size I am told

Old November 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Eldiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
If you want glove liners you will have to go one size up for your gloves from your normal glove size I am told
Not in all cases. I bought glove liners after I bought my gloves, and though a little tighter, my gloves still fit.
Eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #29
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Well at any rate. I tried wearing TWO glove liners under my gloves today.

Bad idea. I could barely feel/operate the controls, and my hands got even colder than with just one glove liner on. I would think it has something to do with circulation being... cut off lol.

A single glove liner fits fine underneath my regular sized glove though... they're skin-tight spandex-y material.