ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Name: Warren

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Turn Signal lights are acting like hazard lights

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you've encountered this problem on your bike.

Both my front turn / signal lights blink together simultaneously like hazard lights. Both rear signal lights don't blink at all and the turn indicator on my dash display doesn't also blink ( the small green circle signal indicator on the dash )

No matter if I turn the switch left or right, both turn lights on the front blink together.

What could be wrong? where would the damage be?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Are all of your signals stock, or have you replaced any with LEDs?
Same question with dash indicator lights (the light that illuminates the spot on the dash, esp for the turn signal).

Technically speaking, our turn signals are all one circuit, with the dashboard light in the middle. Power is introduced at either one end or the other (depending on which way you flick the switch), and the circuit relies on cumulative resistance to prevent the lights on the other side from flashing.

Assuming you answered 'no' to both questions above, my initial (and easiest to check) guess would be that one or both of your rear turn signal bulbs is blown out. You can check by removing the screw on the back of the reflector housing, removing the lens, then gently twisting the bulb, followed by pulling on it. If the bulb has any parts moving about (more than the tiniest amount when gently shaken), it's almost certainly blown. Your local auto parts store (or likely even super-store with an auto section) will have a replacement, probably <$5.

Second guess would be that your turn signal dash indicator light (the one that's behind the green dot on your dashboard) is blown out. That's a little harder to get to, but essentially it's in a rubber boot. Here's a pic of the back of the dash, it's in the boot indicated with the red arrow.
DSC07224a.jpg
If you've got small hands/arms (or a helper with such) you don't have to disassemble anything to get to this bulb, but it's a little tricky, and make sure to NOT pull on the wires. (Also don't worry if your wires don't look exactly like mine, I've done a little modding in there). Same deal for checking the bulb as above; if the filament moves more than a little (or isn't attached at all), it's blown and you can get a replacement cheaply from your local auto-mart.

If you answered "yes" to either question above, you've likely got a resistance issue that will need the diode mod or an electronic flasher relay to fix, if not both. Just search on either of those term, you should find plenty of results

Old May 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Hi Momaru, Yes I have replaced all the four turnlights to LED type and I've also bought the relay (blinker) to replace the OEM one.

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Momaru

First, I'd make sure your rear turn signals are connected properly. Can't think of another reason ATM why LEDs wouldn't be lighting for you in such a system.

However, what's likely causing both sides to light is insufficient resistance in the system, since LEDs use so much less power than the OEM incandescent bulbs.
To correct this you need to do the "diode mod," which prevents the extra power from lighting the wrong side.

Two easy ways to do this:
buy a kit
or
DIY (pretty easy if you can solder, looks harder than it really is)

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

I have had this exact problem with my LED kit (that PO installed). Everytime it has been when a wire comes off the little white bars under the seat - I believe they are the flasher relays. I have to take the electrical tape off, refasten the single wire and boom they all work again.

At first I didn't know I had flashers going the whole way home when I was turning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Hi Guys,

I wonder if you've encountered this problem on your bike.

Both my front turn / signal lights blink together simultaneously like hazard lights. Both rear signal lights don't blink at all and the turn indicator on my dash display doesn't also blink ( the small green circle signal indicator on the dash )

No matter if I turn the switch left or right, both turn lights on the front blink together.

What could be wrong? where would the damage be?
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedhunter View Post
I have had this exact problem with my LED kit (that PO installed). Everytime it has been when a wire comes off the little white bars under the seat - I believe they are the flasher relays. I have to take the electrical tape off, refasten the single wire and boom they all work again.

At first I didn't know I had flashers going the whole way home when I was turning...
Couple of things: there's only one flasher relay on the ninja250, and most vehicles for that matter.

Unless Kawasaki changed something between the '08 and '09 (haven't found anything but color and some damper patterns yet) there aren't any 'white bars' under the seat, stock. I suspect these are resistors, which bring the cumulative electrical resistance in the system up to where it would usually be with the OEM incandescent lights. A wire coming off would not only stop the nearby flasher(s) from functioning properly, but could also cause the blinkers to behave as hazard lights.

Apologies for not including such a mention earlier. The way I did my LEDs (with the diode mod), I didn't need to add in resistor bars. That connection is definitely worth checking as well. Thanks for the addition nakedhunter!

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Things I tested today

- took out the new flasher relay and placed back the OEM relay

Result

- same thing. No dash green turn indicator light
- both rear signal lights (LED) don't work
- both front signal lights (LED) flash simultaneously like hazard lights

Probable cause?

- Wrong flasher relay installed?
- Burnt out Dash indicator light?
- needs the diode mod?

Also tested disconnecting both left and right REAR signal lights (LED)

Result

- exaclty the same as stated above

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Momaru

Starting to sound like you may have multiple co-incident issues.
Couple other diagnostic you may try:
-Swap front & rear blinkers to see if it's something in the rear blinkers that is broken/malfunctioning
-Put back in the OEM blinkers, if you have them, with OEM relay (just connect, no need to do complete install) to see if things work properly once returned to stock.

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
The instrument cluster light is causing you problems. You need a diode to prevent it from doing exactly what you are seeing. This is a known issue.

Try this (it installs in minutes and is fairly easy to do).
Ninja 250R 2008-2012 No-Cut Diode kit
http://modmy250.com/LP.html

It is $15, most of what you are paying for is the ease of installation. It should fix the problem you have.

EDIT: use the new blinker relay with LEDs and install the lights back to their fully installed normal configuration. Then install the diode.
If the cluster light were coming on and all four blinkers were flashing, I'd say it's definitely diode issue. However since the dash light isn't illuminating and two of the flashers aren't working, I suspect something else amiss in addition to that.

If the diode mod fixes everything I'll be surprised, but glad to be wrong.

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Ok, so you definitely need diodes installed. Since you're in Asia, I'd suggest just buying two diodes and installing them. You could buy from me, but normal first class postal service could take 2 weeks in some parts of the world. I'm sure you could source diodes at an electronics store. You would want some N4001 or better diodes. This will fix your hazard lights.

The second problem is the relay. What relay are you trying to use? Not all electronic flashers will work. For instance, the Tridon EL-12, will not work. Find a Tridon EP34 and ground the E pin with a wire. I do sell both diode kit and 2 pin relay if you would prefer a clean solution.

www.modmy250.com

Good Luck,
Tri

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the tips and advice guys

CThunder-blue - I'll have a look around if I could buy those diodes locally but if not I'd probably buy it from you.

Old October 14th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #12
srgcvs7
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Serg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Wink 4 way turn signals blinkers, diode Kit ninja 250

1st try the diode kit, and you also will need and led t10, and make sure you install a electronic relay, install the relay, the diode kit, and on the dash place the led t10 indicator, that will fix everything,

2nd install the relay, NO Diode kit will be need and on the dash you will need 2 t5 led connect positive with negative like vs each other and that will solve the problem...
srgcvs7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #13
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgcvs7 View Post
1st try the diode kit, and you also will need and led t10, and make sure you install a electronic relay, install the relay, the diode kit, and on the dash place the led t10 indicator, that will fix everything,

2nd install the relay, NO Diode kit will be need and on the dash you will need 2 t5 led connect positive with negative like vs each other and that will solve the problem...
Hey Serg. Welcome to the forum. Just a heads up, you're on a 2-year old thread
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@srgcvs7! Wander on over to the New Members thread and introduce yourself.

Nice to meet ya, neighbor!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote