ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 16th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

DIY: LED Aux/Driving lights install (Mondomotos MM10)

After looking for an affordable Aux/Driving light kit, to decrease my invisibility, I settled on the sexy little MM10 Bullet LED Light Kit by Mondomotos. I promised a DIY, so let's get to it!

Mondomotos shipped out my kit immediately, and I had them in less then a week. (shown next to iPhone for scale)

And the unboxing...

Everything you need...

Each unit houses a single Cree XML LED emitter.

From Mondomoto's wiring diagram...

Wiring harness connects directly to the battery. I zip-tied the relay in place, and the in-line fuse isn't visible in this picture. It's all part of the wiring harness, so connecting it to the battery and routing the harness neatly is all you have to worry about.

The red wire splicer in the center of the frame is on a switched power, and goes to the light switch. Please ignore the mess, I've got several other goodies in there.

I opted to mount my lights on the front fender, and the included bolt (shown at bottom of picture) was a wee bit short, so I picked up the parts at the top of the picture from the hardware store. Since mounting on the fender attachment point doesn't utilize the lock-nut, I added a lock-washer, and the big black nylon washer/bushing.

Here it is mounted (not yet connected).

The lights connect to the harness with good sealed connectors.

The power switch is energized by turning the ignition key to 'on.' You don't need to turn the engine over to turn on the lights (unless you tap into a headlight wire as your switched power). There's a red and green indicator on the switch.

I'll post some test pictures bellow, BUT understand the difficulty in capturing lights accurately on camera (I used my Galaxy tablet's cam). In the pictures the lights blur together, but in person you do see them as distinctly separate lights. I'm using Phillips MotoVision bulbs in my headlights (you really have to see them in person, as you just can't capture the orange effect on camera).

LEDs only

Low beam & LEDs

compared to Low beam only

High beam & LEDs

compared to High beam only

Last futzed with by headshrink; May 20th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #2
headshrink

My initial impression from my test ride... pretty cool. I have nothing to compare them to, but they perform as expected. I'll have to make a couple adjustments by re-aiming them a bit, as I think the left light shifted up a bit. I pointed them downward a bit, so as not to piss off oncoming traffic, but I still feel like I have my high beams on, when I don't. This is a good thing as long as no one is blinded. My test run was late at night, and in the boonys where it's really dark, so we'll see how traffic reacts tomorrow. It's pretty cool how much LEDs have advanced.

Old May 16th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
notsofast
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

nice DIY thank you!
notsofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #4
headshrink

DIY sticky?

Old May 20th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice work!

/stickied

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6
gallam03
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

What color is the wire you spliced into?? is that black/white trace??
gallam03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #7
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallam03 View Post
What color is the wire you spliced into?? is that black/white trace??
I honestly don't remember. A long time ago I tapped into a switched power located by the thermostat. This was back when I installed the water temp. gauge (you may want to check that DIY), and I have been tapping into an extension I added to that ever since. Had I had the foresight, I would have added an aux. fuse box for all the FARKLES I've added, and put it in the nose.

Old September 16th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Ferreus
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ferreus

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Do you remember what size bolt you picked up from the hardware store? Debating between these auxiliary lights or a headlight modulator.
Ferreus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreus View Post
Do you remember what size bolt you picked up from the hardware store? Debating between these auxiliary lights or a headlight modulator.
I honestly don't.... I took the short one into the hardware store to make sure it fit. I'd recommend making sure you get stainless.

I actually removed my headlight modulator after a few confused comments from other drivers at stop lights (most were annoyed), and the kicker being after a local PD stopped me. He didn't understand that it's legal, and was more concerned with saving face and "maintaining control." He didn't ticket me, but the overall conversation was pretty frustrating, and I didn't want to repeat it. I PERSONALLY think aux or fog lights are a better option, as I don't have to worry about irritating other drivers (although my aux lights are arguably a bit bright at night).

Old July 27th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Sorry for the necropost, but I was wondering how you mounted those to the fairing. Did you have to drill holes or are there holes there already? I'm 500 miles from my bike right now, otherwise I would look for myself.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #11
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Sorry for the necropost, but I was wondering how you mounted those to the fairing. Did you have to drill holes or are there holes there already? I'm 500 miles from my bike right now, otherwise I would look for myself.
With a nylon spacer and bolt. It replaces the factory fender bolt.

Old July 28th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Ah, thanks! I've been pondering lighting options, this looks like a good way to go.

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #13
headshrink

Quote:
Ah, thanks! I've been pondering lighting options, this looks like a good way to go.
It sure is.

Here's a thread discussing these lights.

Old July 28th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #14
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the link. I'm still undecided about the type of lights to put on though. I don't really feel like I need more light for myself at night, I just want to be more visible to others in the daytime (and night).

I recently discovered BikeVis Bullets, which look like they might mount right where you put yours. They also have a module to make them "glint" somewhat like a headlight modulator.

Old July 28th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #15
headshrink

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'm still undecided about the type of lights to put on though. I don't really feel like I need more light for myself at night, I just want to be more visible to others in the daytime (and night).

I recently discovered BikeVis Bullets, which look like they might mount right where you put yours. They also have a module to make them "glint" somewhat like a headlight modulator.
I looked at those briefly, but haven't seen them in the wild, and don't know how much they'll increase visibility during the day. I put the dimmer on the Mondo lights, which I think is a very good combo.

Old July 28th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #16
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
A number of EX500 guys have done something similar, mounting Denali knockoffs on the fender mounting bolts (the included bracket fits right under the stock bolt). I bought some lights a while ago, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet...

Be careful about pointing them too low. One of the problem areas with HIDs, which should apply just as much here too, is that aiming them too close to your vehicle (to avoid blinding oncoming vehicles) makes the nearby area too bright, so your pupils actually close down and make your distance vision (where the light isn't shining as much) much worse. It looks a lot brighter, but it's in the wrong spot and ends up hurting where you need it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #17
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I looked at those briefly, but haven't seen them in the wild, and don't know how much they'll increase visibility during the day. I put the dimmer on the Mondo lights, which I think is a very good combo.
Which dimmer is that?

Old July 28th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #18
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
A number of EX500 guys have done something similar, mounting Denali knockoffs on the fender mounting bolts (the included bracket fits right under the stock bolt). I bought some lights a while ago, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet...

Be careful about pointing them too low. One of the problem areas with HIDs, which should apply just as much here too, is that aiming them too close to your vehicle (to avoid blinding oncoming vehicles) makes the nearby area too bright, so your pupils actually close down and make your distance vision (where the light isn't shining as much) much worse. It looks a lot brighter, but it's in the wrong spot and ends up hurting where you need it.
That's a good point. These lights do have a fairly wide beam pattern, which is why I eventually got a dimmer (explained in following post).

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #19
headshrink

Quote:
Which dimmer is that?
Sorry, I forgot that I added the dimmer on my CBR. I don't think it was available when I originally did this DIY.

I used the Skene IQ-175 "smart dimmer." The way I currently have it wired is to dim the LEDs to 20% power when I turn my high beam off, and 100% when the high beam is on. This is the default program, so setup was a breeze.

Also, I just noticed they are now selling a universal mounting kit that is exactly what I did. You could do it cheaper if you bought the parts yourself, but there are a couple pictures you can look at HERE.