ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1
2013 kawi girl
ninjette.org member

Name: Kawi girl

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ninja 300

Talking Shift Light, Gear Indicator, Temp Gauge - WHERE ARE YOU???!!!

So, after riding this bike for some time, I came up with a few things that could improve this bike even more. Let's start with the temp gauge... right now I am basically letting my bike warm up for 5 minutes just to make sure that she is warmed up. It would also be nice to see whether or not I should just take her home if it is too hot, or if I should just pull over and let her cool down. Also a gear indicator. I don't know how many times I lost count just today. Pretty embarrassing. The other riders made me feel better letting me know that they do the same thing on their bike, but I mean come on... shift indicator, I just go by how the engine sounds but it would be nice to have a light just pop up... luxury? Yes, something I will just add with an after market? maybe... Finally, rear tail light. I would like for it to be brighter. Just personal preference.
Here is my vid on it.. ENJOY.

Link to original page on YouTube.

2013 kawi girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 kawi girl View Post
right now I am basically letting my bike warm up for 5 minutes just to make sure that she is warmed up. It would also be nice to see whether or not I should just take her home if it is too hot, or if I should just pull over and let her cool down.
There's really no need to do this. Just hit the start button and get rolling. Don't bang it off the rev-limiter for a few minutes, but other than that the best way to warm up a bike is to ride it. Idling under no load is not helping anything.

In terms of worrying about it while riding, as long as that temp light doesn't pop on, you're fine. The bike has plenty of cooling capacity, and barring the most unique of circumstances, just keeping the bike moving is the best thing to manage temps.

I wouldn't mind a gear indicator; it does keep the rider from trying keep upshifting past 6th after being on the highway for awhile and wondering if your'e really in top gear.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #3
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's really no need to do this. Just hit the start button and get rolling. Don't bang it off the rev-limiter for a few minutes, but other than that the best way to warm up a bike is to ride it. Idling under no load is not helping anything.

In terms of worrying about it while riding, as long as that temp light doesn't pop on, you're fine. The bike has plenty of cooling capacity, and barring the most unique of circumstances, just keeping the bike moving is the best thing to manage temps.
Word.

In regards to knowing what gear you're in, it helps to really get a feel of how the bike reacts in each gear at different RPMs. If the engine is bogging, downshift and if it's screaming (when you don't want it to be), upshift. The only gears I really look out are first and second as I just tend to shift around through all the gears to keep the bike at at least 7k and sloppy downshifts tend to pogo the bike if you drop down too low while carrying too much speed.

It's great to have all that information readily available, it's just that you don't want to develop habits that make you use them as a crutch.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
So, after riding this bike for some time, I came up with a few things that could improve this bike even more. Let's start with the temp gauge... right now I am basically letting my bike warm up for 5 minutes just to make sure that she is warmed up. It would also be nice to see whether or not I should just take her home if it is too hot, or if I should just pull over and let her cool down. Also a gear indicator. I don't know how many times I lost count just today. Pretty embarrassing. The other riders made me feel better letting me know that they do the same thing on their bike, but I mean come on... shift indicator, I just go by how the engine sounds but it would be nice to have a light just pop up... luxury? Yes, something I will just add with an after market? maybe... Finally, rear tail light. I would like for it to be brighter. Just personal preference.
Here is my vid on it.. ENJOY.

Link to original page on YouTube.

If you look at ebay and search for koso water* you'll find what you need for your watertemperature and at http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ you can find a gear indicator for the Ninja 300, year 2013.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

It would be kinda' nice to have a gear position indicator, but the other omissions I don't mind. And I certainly don't miss the GI enough to buy one for $160!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
2013 kawi girl
ninjette.org member

I think out of all the things that I mentioned I definitely would choose the gear indicator over all of those other things. But Mew rides like a champ! I definitely give her a hug and a kiss before and after every ride. I have been on a few other bikes to try to find the best one for me and for me, Mew has been the best fit, like a glove! LOL!!!

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Eh, you'll get a feel for what gear you're in after riding the bike some more. I ride by feel, and at lights, I keep tapping down until it won't downshift any more. It's brainless so I can focus on riding, and not counting gears.

Alex is right, the best thing to do to manage temp (assuming everything is working as planned) is to keep moving and keep air flowing over the radiator.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
2013 kawi girl
ninjette.org member

I agree and I find myself doing that at lights, just clicking down until I can't click down anymore. But, I do have to admit, I have been caught a few times, thinking I was in first but I was in second Noop move and I guess since I am a noop I guess it's acceptable. And I definitely agree, best thing to do is to keep air moving through, and I love the fact that the 300 has a fan integrated in, an AWESOME SURPRISE!!!

Old October 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
A fan in front of the radiator? All 250's have that. so do cars.

In fact, I think all vehicles that are liquid cooled have that so they don't overheat if they get stuck in traffic. (someone tell me if I'm wrong here.)

Old October 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #10
2013 kawi girl
ninjette.org member

LOL!!! I didn't realize that the 250's have them. I am used to motorcross bikes

Old October 17th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
A fan in front of the radiator? All 250's have that. so do cars.
Fans are behind the radiator! n00b!

Old October 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
baahaha I just got shut down by Kevin. This is a first

Old October 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #13
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
I agree and I find myself doing that at lights, just clicking down until I can't click down anymore. But, I do have to admit, I have been caught a few times, thinking I was in first but I was in second Noop move and I guess since I am a noop I guess it's acceptable. And I definitely agree, best thing to do is to keep air moving through, and I love the fact that the 300 has a fan integrated in, an AWESOME SURPRISE!!!
You can still take off from a dead stop in 2nd. I've done it twice and it's possible, although not very pretty.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
You can still take off from a dead stop in 2nd. I've done it twice and it's possible, although not very pretty.
ahhh the beauty of the 636, I get to lazy to shift some times and just ride around in 3rd, and launch from 3rd too

Old October 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM   #15
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I have a cheapo ebay gear indicator on my 08, which I enjoy, but am glad I learned to ride without it, just like I'm glad I learned to drive on a manual...... see where I'm going with this?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote