ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Marquez played Rossi at his own game

DURING the 2013 US Grand Prix, Marc Marquez almost replicated the same move on Valentino Rossi as the Doctor did in 2008 to Casey Stoner at the top of the famous corkscrew.

Just like the historic battle between Rossi and Stoner in 2008, spectators saw Marquez bravely let off the brakes and dive down the outside of the Doctor, over the curb and across the gravel before rejoining the track.

The carbon copy overtake on lap 3 saw the young Spaniard take second place from Rossi, to catch Stefan Bradl on lap 19 of 32 and on to take the lead. Marquez crossed the line 2.3 seconds ahead to take his third win of the season at a track he has never previously raced.

In the post-race press conference after the US Grand Prix, an upbeat Valentino Rossi was quick to target Honda team manager Livio Suppo about Marquez's corkscrew pass. Stoner was on the factory Ducati ran by Suppo when Rossi had made the same move.

Rossi continued to smile making this request: "I want to speak a little bit about the overtake, especially with Livio Suppo. So, you and Stoner broke my balls for two or three years about that overtake because I cut the corner, you know? So what do you say today, he has to be disqualified, eh?"

To Rossi's amusement, Livio Suppo calmly replied: "Thanks for the question, and thanks to Marc, because after a few years, we pay you back!"

In a video on motogp.com, Marquez was recorded taking a similar line through the gravel of the corkscrew on his scooter whilst he was supposed to be learning the track. Unbeknownst to the rookie, that would be a line he'd need come race day.

Marquez explained: "When I saw the video of 2008 I thought 'that is impossible'. But when I was there I let off the brakes a little because there was no space and I passed in the same place."

Rumours flew around as it was said that the Factory Yamaha team had been seen heading for Race Direction, which Rossi laughed off: "He cut the track, so he has to be disqualified!"

Rossi and Marquez came to the agreement that riders need to be able to make overtaking manoeuvres - like demonstrated through the corkscrew - without Race Direction being involved.

Marc Marquez summed it up by saying: "You cannot do it every lap, but if you do one time in the race, why not? Also we need to be a little bit free in the mind, because in the end, the people watch to see a show."

Rookie Marc Marquez has increased his championship lead and is now 16 points clear of Dani Pedrosa who finished a respectable fifth whilst nursing a fractured collarbone.

Related Content

Rossi: 'Laguna was the most important victory'
Rossi and Marquez: How the tables have turned
Redding's pass of the day at Silverstone
Video: Catalunya 2009, that pass
'Rossi on a competitive bike next year'

Click here for full story...