Old October 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I got pulled over today...

60 in a 45.

The best part of it all is that....
I GOT NO TICKET, JUST A WARNING!!!! w00t!

The cop was really cool and just wanting to remind me to watch my speed. I shook his hand, thanked him and went on my way.

My wife said I am lucky since I have never received a speeding ticket.

So yeah, watch that speed everyone!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

You lucky duck
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

on my bike..

I win for speed..

80 in a 65

I lose for ticket..

I got one.. first in my life
live & learn
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #4
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
I win for speed..

80 in a 65

I lose for ticket..

I got one.. first in my life
live & learn
75 in a 55 My Link

Edit dan's link

Last futzed with by CRXTrek; October 20th, 2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Dan beats my ticket
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
$75 for 20 over!? WTMF? Around here 10 or so over will cost you close to $180, 20 over is called reckless driving, you lose your license, AND your bike.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

No tickets on the bike but in the car. 95 in a 55. New York State. Was in a bit of a rush.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
$75 for 20 over!? WTMF? Around here 10 or so over will cost you close to $180, 20 over is called reckless driving, you lose your license, AND your bike.
Not in the Corn Belt
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

67 in a 45. $130 ticket. I wasn't paying attention on a highway that turned city street sooner than I thought. Oh well. Live and learn and pay more attention, especially when going fast.

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Yeah, VA enforcement sucks (ask me how I know). !@#$!%!#

OK, I'll tell you how I know. I swear that something was wrong and the accelerator was stuck. You could even feel the "click" at a certain point after that happened. I even followed the traffic school advice of giving the pedal a quick jab to free it and I swear that it worked. Doesn't matter to a Blount Co. cop intent on giving you a ticket.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Knock on wood. So far no tickets on my bike. I did get a ticket last week for doing 71 in a 55. Like Sammy Hagar says: "I can't drive 55". Seriously though I do need to watch my speed. Very expensive lesson learned.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Back when I used to street race .I would get tickets that got thrown out of court for one reason or another . Or I would get a warnings . They called me golden child . I was so lucky .And never got a point. Now I am an old guy and just putter around.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Funny thing is next year I plan on upgrading my bike (upgrading engine size, not really concerned about production year).

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #13
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

Just finished traffic school here in CA for an 85 in 65 ticket. $386 + $25.90 for online traffic school. Pricey moment of indiscretion.

The problem with cars nowadays is that they are so freaking fast that what you think is a little nudge of the gas to get around someone is triple digits before you can even blink. I saw the cop and nailed the brake and he still managed to clock me at 85.

-Kyle

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM   #14
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

damn, guess my ticket is gonna cost about the same, Kyle

I agree, here in this area cars drive fast! I'm going 75mph on my speedometer (which has been discussed among us riders, that it isn't accurate) and many cars are still passing me or are on my a$$. what's going on here????

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM   #15
Racer x

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I was testing my bike on I 95 . Pushing over 110 mph full tuck . Going faster than all the land speed records at the time. I swear to God a woman passed me in a BMW talking on her phone.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I was testing my bike on I 95 . Pushing over 110 mph full tuck . Going faster than all the land speed records at the time. I swear to God a woman passed me in a BMW talking on her phone.
Sounds about right. It's usually a 7-series that blows by me like I'm standing still.

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM   #17
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Sounds about right. It's usually a 7-series that blows by me like I'm standing still.
hah off topic but I just noticed you have a similar license plate as Ken.. I think I first his a while ago on KF tho.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:06 AM   #18
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Cost me almost $200 CAD the last time... It was just for not having my seat belt on. Don't have to worry about that on the 250. Last speeding ticket was by a tough minded Mountie worried about speeding in moose country.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #19
Mike1357
Cycle Start

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r - 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

I have terrible luck. Got one ticket for a 'Hollywood stop' $110, another for going through a yellow light $110, one for going 45 in a 35 (speed limit is 35 on a 4 lane highway...) $160, then a lady pulled out in front of me and I hit my brakes and slid into her in stormy weather. I got failure to control vehicle and $110 ticket, plus my car was broke. All this in my 100hp econobox. So yeah I freakin tiptoe wherever I go now, cause I really don't want to loose my liscense...

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #20
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

That's harsh. Normally I'm of the opinion that if you were breaking the law, you should just suck it up and take the ticket but I think most of us could easily get the tickets you talked about and to have it all happen in a row, so that you have to worry about getting your license yanked - that's just bad luck.

Hope things turn around for you.

-Kyle

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #21
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357 View Post
I have terrible luck. Got one ticket for a 'Hollywood stop' $110, another for going through a yellow light $110, one for going 45 in a 35 (speed limit is 35 on a 4 lane highway...) $160, then a lady pulled out in front of me and I hit my brakes and slid into her in stormy weather. I got failure to control vehicle and $110 ticket, plus my car was broke. All this in my 100hp econobox. So yeah I freakin tiptoe wherever I go now, cause I really don't want to loose my liscense...
You got a ticket for running a yellow light? When did that become illegal and if so why not go straight from green to red.

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #22
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Quote:
You got a ticket for running a yellow light? When did that become illegal and if so why not go straight from green to red.
Yellow means stop if it's safe todo so.

Chances are he saw yellow as "Go faster.. it's about to turn red"
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #23
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Speeding Tickets are the pits. Unfortunately in Utah you can't go anywhere without speeding, if you drive the speedlimit the idiots on the road will run you over (or off the road if they are nice). Most of the time the Cops know this, but there are a few towns were the small town cops want the revenue so they ticket everyone they can stop.

I live in one of those towns. Any given day my wife watches the cops pull over between 7 and 10 people infront of my house because there is a long 25mph road that has some trees to hide behind.

Rumor has it the cops in my town don't know the meaning of the word "Warning." When I got pulled over I got a ticket. It is a revenue builder. The City doesn't even have a classroom lead Traffic School for ticketed motorists. It is on the Internet. That is just more evidence that the police want the bucks, if you ask me.

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #24
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
60 in a 45.

The best part of it all is that....
I GOT NO TICKET, JUST A WARNING!!!! w00t!

The cop was really cool and just wanting to remind me to watch my speed. I shook his hand, thanked him and went on my way.

My wife said I am lucky since I have never received a speeding ticket.

So yeah, watch that speed everyone!
I got pulled over the other day too. Was on a wide open road with fields on both sides. Speed limit is 40. I couldn't have been going more than 50, but I was out in front of the other cars. A state police coming the other way makes a U turn and then pulls me over. As soon as I came to a stop, I shut the bike off and removed my helmet, showing my gray hair. Some reason I wanted the officer to know that I was not some crazy young kid. The officer asked for my license and told me he was just going to give me a warning for exceeding the speed limit.

In retrospect, I think he saw a black sports bike with a rider in a black leather jacket, saw me out in front of the cars, and probably figured I got there by speeding.

Anyway, I got lucky as well! And I too have never had a speeding ticket.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #25
danknation
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357 View Post
If your front bumpber crosses into the intersection before red it is legal. I would have faught this one, more than likely the cop wouldn't show up and the DA would either drop it completely or reduce it to $50. Ive had several tickets reduced/dropped just by saying I wanted to fight it. When you do so the first thing you do is talk to their DA who 90% of the time doesn't want to mess with a traffic ticket.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post
If your front bumpber crosses into the intersection before red it is legal. I would have faught this one, more than likely the cop wouldn't show up and the DA would either drop it completely or reduce it to $50. Ive had several tickets reduced/dropped just by saying I wanted to fight it. When you do so the first thing you do is talk to their DA who 90% of the time doesn't want to mess with a traffic ticket.
Not in all regions. While I heard the same thing (legal to complete your turn if past the stop-line when the light turns red), many places will cite you for blocking the intersection or call that running a red light. In CA, I see people freak out when the light turns red before they complete. On my bike this happens all the time even when it was still green as I entered ("smart" light didn't see me or sense the bike in the lane and switched faster than it should). I just shrug and figure that I'll deal with it when the time comes if I ever get pulled over or get flashed by a traffic camera.

Old October 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #27
danknation
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Not in all regions. While I heard the same thing (legal to complete your turn if past the stop-line when the light turns red), many places will cite you for blocking the intersection or call that running a red light. In CA, I see people freak out when the light turns red before they complete. On my bike this happens all the time even when it was still green as I entered ("smart" light didn't see me or sense the bike in the lane and switched faster than it should). I just shrug and figure that I'll deal with it when the time comes if I ever get pulled over or get flashed by a traffic camera.
Ditto. I have noticed there is one intersection in town I always make right on red at. I sware the thing snaps a pic everytime I go through, I don't think it registers me making a complete stop and thus snaps the shot. I haven't gotten anything in the mail about it yet so I am not to worried.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #28
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post
Ditto. I have noticed there is one intersection in town I always make right on red at. I sware the thing snaps a pic everytime I go through, I don't think it registers me making a complete stop and thus snaps the shot. I haven't gotten anything in the mail about it yet so I am not to worried.
Since we are in the same parts... There are some intersections with cameras that will take a picture every time the light turns red. There is one intersection I go through every day that does this.

And like the other poster said, here in Texas, it IS legal for a vehicle to enter an intersection while the light is yellow. Even if it turns red before the vehicle is through the intersection. I don't know about everywhere, but I believe this is the law through out the United States (although states do define differently where the intersection starts).

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Since we are in the same parts... There are some intersections with cameras that will take a picture every time the light turns red. There is one intersection I go through every day that does this.

And like the other poster said, here in Texas, it IS legal for a vehicle to enter an intersection while the light is yellow. Even if it turns red before the vehicle is through the intersection. I don't know about everywhere, but I believe this is the law through out the United States (although states do define differently where the intersection starts).
It definitely is NOT the case in all of the US. In fact, even in states that allow it, all the intersection needs is a "do not block intersection" sign to over-ride it (seen 'em in GA).

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #30
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

It is not the law throughout the US. In Louisiana, if it turns red while you're still in the intersection, you can get a ticket (this happened to my mother).

Edit: You beat me to it!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #31
Spork
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 08 CPB Ninja 250

Dont have a bike yet... but i had a 71 in a 30 residential area... long story definately a ticket... but only for "exceeding posted speed limit" it should count as a reckless... didnt though... and the best part was that my brothers both had tickets for like 8 to 12 over... it cost them in the neighborhood of $120 mine was 152.50 for the infraction defferall program and everything... 152 bucks! for more than doubling the speed limit... haha i got lucky...now its completely off my record...

Old October 28th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #32
Ntotot
ninjette.org member

Name: Adzla

Motorcycle(s): 08 Black Ninja 205r - SOLD, Now -> a Z750

I got stopped also in a police road-block. My speed was 100+ in 80km/h area. So, I thought "damn, I will be ticketed". I pulled over and the traffic cop asked for my licence and ID and he looked every inch of the bike and asked "where's the original rear fender?", I told him "I cut the fender coz it's broken after a car hit behind me and the dealer took a while to order the part". He left me with a warning. So the bluff is made and I escape with no ticket.

Call me what ever, I just wanna get the hell outta there.
Ntotot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #33
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It definitely is NOT the case in all of the US. In fact, even in states that allow it, all the intersection needs is a "do not block intersection" sign to over-ride it (seen 'em in GA).
Looking up traffic code for the State of GA shows that they do not consider a car in violation of the red light if it enters the intersection on a yellow light (40-6-21). The "Do Not Block the Intersection" signs are different. These normally require you not to enter the intersection if you can not pull through it. You can be in violation of this, even if you enter the intersection on a green light. I couldn't find reference to this in the GA code, but it is written this way in other states. For example, in Ohio it reads: "No driver shall enter an intersection or marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, … to accommodate the vehicle... without obstructing the passage of other vehicles… pedestrians, or railroad trains…"

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #34
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
It is not the law throughout the US. In Louisiana, if it turns red while you're still in the intersection, you can get a ticket (this happened to my mother).

Edit: You beat me to it!
According to Louisiana vehicle code (RS 32:232), you would not be in violation if you entered the intersection on a yellow light and it turned red while you were still in the intersection.

Old October 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Looking up traffic code for the State of GA shows that they do not consider a car in violation of the red light if it enters the intersection on a yellow light (40-6-21). The "Do Not Block the Intersection" signs are different. These normally require you not to enter the intersection if you can not pull through it. You can be in violation of this, even if you enter the intersection on a green light. I couldn't find reference to this in the GA code, but it is written this way in other states. For example, in Ohio it reads: "No driver shall enter an intersection or marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, … to accommodate the vehicle... without obstructing the passage of other vehicles… pedestrians, or railroad trains…"
Right. GA is one of those states that allows it... as long as you are past the stop line when it turns red and there are no "Do Not Block" signs. I came from there thinking that every state allowed it. I was wrong. Perhaps having nothing referencing the "Do Not Block" signs is why they said that my mother ran a red light when she did not (it was green, not even yellow, when she entered an intersection in Peachtree City, GA and failed to complete). She was wrongly fined for running a red light. It didn't even matter that she was over 60yo and had no prior tickets.

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #36
Ntotot
ninjette.org member

Name: Adzla

Motorcycle(s): 08 Black Ninja 205r - SOLD, Now -> a Z750

Me and my buddy got stopped by police again today. I was a pillion riding on his green ninjette. The police ask for his licence and ID. They were curious about the ninja and ask a lot of friendly question like how big is the cc and so on. The funny part was my friend accidentally left me not knowing i'm not seated yet. The police laughed and he came back.
Ntotot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #37
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntotot View Post
Me and my buddy got stopped by police again today. I was a pillion riding on his green ninjette. The police ask for his licence and ID. They were curious about the ninja and ask a lot of friendly question like how big is the cc and so on. The funny part was my friend accidentally left me not knowing i'm not seated yet. The police laughed and he came back.
Did they say their official reason for stopping you or did they admit that they just wanted to know about the bike?

Old October 29th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #38
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Right. GA is one of those states that allows it... as long as you are past the stop line when it turns red and there are no "Do Not Block" signs. I came from there thinking that every state allowed it. I was wrong. Perhaps having nothing referencing the "Do Not Block" signs is why they said that my mother ran a red light when she did not (it was green, not even yellow, when she entered an intersection in Peachtree City, GA and failed to complete). She was wrongly fined for running a red light. It didn't even matter that she was over 60yo and had no prior tickets.
I wouldn't be surprised if most states have some kind of law around blocking intersections, even when no sign is posted. I think a sign is more of a courtesy, and/or reminder.

That said, there are plenty of examples of people being improperly cited for lots of things. Just recently here in Texas, it was discovered that people were being incorrectly cited for not speaking English.

Old October 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that they can cite you for "blocking" it even if you never stop or slow down... simply completing the turn you started before the light changed without stopping/blocking at all. Moving or not, you were in the intersection while your light was red and that is all they need.

Old October 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #40
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that they can cite you for "blocking" it even if you never stop or slow down... simply completing the turn you started before the light changed without stopping/blocking at all. Moving or not, you were in the intersection while your light was red and that is all they need.
The key here is that they "can" charge you. But that doesn't mean it is right. My bet is you could fight and win on this charge unless there is something specific in the code which says you have to be through the intersection when the light turns red. Otherwise, it seems to fly in contradiction to other parts of the code.