Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
A biker died on the Dragon today :-( :-(

I'm going to try to find out more information when I settle in this evening, but according to killboy's weekly update, there was a death on the Dragon today. It involved a biker and a semi. Why the f%&* aren't semis OUTLAWED on that precarious road? They are outlawed on many roads around the country (hwy 28, for example), but not on the one of the trickiest, twistiest roads in the southeast? No, the law makers and enforcers would rather set the speed limit artificially low (30mph), (and pull people like me over for going 40mph), than to actually make it illegal for vehicles that take up BOTH LANES in many of the corners to traverse the road.
Fuggin sux, man. Be careful, those of you heading up there this weekend for the rally. Crazy truckers use that road (usually several trucks per week), and an 18-wheeler can NOT turn tightly enough to stay in one lane on some of those corners. Even if you are lucky enough not to encounter a truck, squids and cages VERY often cross the DY on that 11-mile stretch, so take it easy.
So tragic, so sad.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I'm going to try to find out more information when I settle in this evening, but according to killboy's weekly update, there was a death on the Dragon today. It involved a biker and a semi. Why the f%&* aren't semis OUTLAWED on that precarious road? They are outlawed on many roads around the country (hwy 28, for example), but not on the one of the trickiest, twistiest roads in the southeast? No, the law makers and enforcers would rather set the speed limit artificially low (30mph), (and pull people like me over for going 40mph), than to actually make it illegal for vehicles that take up BOTH LANES in many of the corners to traverse the road.
Fuggin sux, man. Be careful, those of you heading up there this weekend for the rally. Crazy truckers use that road (usually several trucks per week), and an 18-wheeler can NOT turn tightly enough to stay in one lane on some of those corners. Even if you are lucky enough not to encounter a truck, squids and cages VERY often cross the DY on that 11-mile stretch, so take it easy.
So tragic, so sad.
Semi's are outlawed on roads that aren't navigatable. Since they can navigate the Dragon, no outlaw .

My dad is a semi driver and he is a VERY, VERY, good driver. He's been riding cars, trucks, vans, since he was 13. He was raised in Belarus and was required to join the military. During that time he transported officers. He also spent half his life riding motorcycles but gave up when he immigrated to America do to financial and family reasons (marriage).

For the record, he's not a communist, but doesn't like America. He came here because of the common saying that you can become "rich". I don't exactly think this country is being run properly either.

Anyway, if the driver knows what he is doing, and how to actually drive well, there shouldn't be a problem. Just saying, have you ever though that it was the riders fault? Maybe he drove into the back of the semi and burst into flames like the other guy in the other thread.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

ally I seen that over on ETR as well. Very sad. Everyone needs to be careful over there. Ifear it'll become more dangerous becuase more and more drivers are driving the roads the way their gps says. And the dragon is the "fastest" way through.

Heres the link I found:

http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/sh...35542&page=266

"Yes, it was one of them. Dwight "Ike" Woodard. Always smiling and in love with riding. He and his group were down to memorialize the passing of their buddy at the Gap last year. Dwight was killed a year and a day after his friend. He and his lady rode two up quite a bit. Fortunately they weren't this particular morning.

The rig ran over him. His buddies at the scene said he was conscious and alert albeit in a lot of pain. They were clearly in shock and had no idea how badly he was injured. The helicopter diverted from UT to Blount Memorial in the air.'
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Lawmakers need more revenue, so they ticket those who are apt to speed.
If more trucks crashed and closed down the roads there for a while and tourist revenue takes a serious dip because of it, then they will ban large trucks. It would be nice if they had some kind of lights or signs letting riders and drivers know of stupidly large vehicles on the Dragon.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

My question is, if cops can give bikers, or motorists for that matter a ticket for going 2-5 mph over the limit (ive seen it done) Why can they not give semis a ticket for crossing the double yellow line?
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
My question is, if cops can give bikers, or motorists for that matter a ticket for going 2-5 mph over the limit (ive seen it done) Why can they not give semis a ticket for crossing the double yellow line?
They do it all the time. Truckers get pulled over for anything also...I've seen it happen. You go one mile per hour over and you'll get pulled over. But usually you can blame it on your speedometer...because they're not accurate.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Anyway, if the driver knows what he is doing, and how to actually drive well, there shouldn't be a problem. Just saying, have you ever though that it was the riders fault? Maybe he drove into the back of the semi and burst into flames like the other guy in the other thread.
I think you need to peruse this site:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

There are warnings on both ends to large trucks advising alternate routes. It doesn't matter if the driver is a freaking jedi mixed with ninja mixed with alien superbeing; some (many?) of the tighter corners are not navigable by a long vehicle without either going into the other lane or going off the road.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM   #8
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Semi's are outlawed on roads that aren't navigatable. Since they can navigate the Dragon, no outlaw .
Have you ever been on or researched the road? Trucks are not able to make those turns. Sometimes the turns are so tight, they use both lanes AND the pull-off space! Don't believe me? Check out killboy's highlights each week (www.killboy.com), and you'll see pictures of it almost every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
It would be nice if they had some kind of lights or signs letting riders and drivers know of stupidly large vehicles on the Dragon.
There are signs...huge ones leading in from both sides for miles before one actually gets to the really curvy part. They warn, nearly beg truckers to turn around, but some just don't heed the warning and put the rest of us on the road in unnecessary danger.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

There are warnings on both ends to large trucks advising alternate routes. It doesn't matter if the driver is a freaking jedi mixed with ninja mixed with alien superbeing; some (many?) of the tighter corners are not navigable by a long vehicle without either going into the other lane or going off the road.
I'll take your word for it. Since the road isn't illegal to go on for semi's, then the drivers should know themselves they shouldn't go on it if it is that dangerous. Most likely the drivers aren't local.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #10
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:58 PM   #11
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Sucks, always sad to hear a fellow rider has lost his/her life. hope the family is doing OK. Reminds us that even though we live life in the fast lane, there is always an end to that road. Be careful out there, ride safe and lets hope we all had a good life before reaching our end of the road.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:00 PM   #12
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
I'll take your word for it. Since the road isn't illegal to go on for semi's, then the drivers should know themselves they shouldn't go on it if it is that dangerous. Most likely the drivers aren't local.
No excuse. Truck warning signs and turn around areas are EVERYWHERE!

http://www.wate.com/story/15204659/m...-on-the-dragon

TALLASSEE (WATE) - The winding stretch of road called the Tail of the Dragon in Blount County claimed the life of another motorcyclist on Wednesday.

The Tennessee Highway Patrol said the wreck happened Wednesday morning just north of the North Carolina border.

According to THP officials Dewight Woodard, 45, was killed while driving his motorcycle on the Dragon.

Officials said a vehicle was driving northbound on U.S. Highway 129 when it went around a curve, crossed the center line and hit the motorcyclist.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM   #13
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Truckers are sent this route by dispatchers and GPS.

and when one comes around the corner...they are big and in the way. Came up on a full size rig on Monday evening.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM   #14
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

HOLY MOTHER, that's like having a semi trying to get through some of Highway9 or maybe even skyline. Just noooo freaking way.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:10 PM   #15
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Just exactly what happens when the semis are going in the opposite direction
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #16
oroboros
GDTRFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
the law makers and enforcers would rather set the speed limit artificially low (30mph), (and pull people like me over for going 40mph),
I don't know Ally...30mph in the curves is pretty much the most you can ask of a regular vehicle. There are spots on 28 that have 10MPH curves.

This really sucks and shines a light on the fact that trucks are dangerous on this road. I have been in our Mini and had to pull off the road completely to avoid them. I feel really bad for the guys family.

on a side note, I made Killboys blog this week. Stuck behind a trike....

http://killboy.blogspot.com/search?u...max-results=20

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM   #17
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I don't know. Back in the day, the speed limit for that stretch 55mph with specific curves marked lower (as it is on hwy 28). It's a revenue generator for them. Hence the numerous cops that "live" there.

Nice! It's a great feeling to make his highlights page (unless it's for something bad or embarrassing! lol! )

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #18
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
That's exactly the point....

Like it or not the Dragon is a local playground for bikers and drivers. Millions of people visit annually, mostly in the summer months. That alone is dangerous. Now add to the mix a bunch of 80 foot trucks that simply cannot navigate the corners. A majority of them literally run off of the road to make the turns. Blind turns at that. Even if one drives the speed limit it is not possible to stop in time to keep from being run over by a truck driver. These particular drivers are ignorant beyond belief. There are signs coming from both directions that urge truckers to turn back because of the "dangerous switchback curves."

On top of that the news spins it so it looks like the fatality was soley the biker's fault. It also irks me that the cops give tickets to the drivers and riders but not the lane crossing truckers. Speed doesn't kill, impact kills. You generally don't hit something when speeding but you will hit something when it is a semi in your lane.

God bless that man and his family.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM   #19
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

dam stupid big rigs should be outlawed any way to patition or something its not right

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #20
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
dam stupid big rigs should be outlawed any way to patition or something its not right
If they were outlawed you wouldn't have food. Nor would many people have a job.

Old August 4th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #21
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
If they were outlawed you wouldn't have food. Nor would many people have a job.
Um, I'm sure he meant on that road in particular.

Yeah, interesting how the news articles I could find didn't even state it was a semi, only a "vehicle". Sux how the media can create its own reality and spin things so they look a certain way. Of COURSE it's the biker's fault. At least, that's what 95% of people hearing the story would think.

Old August 4th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #22
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I agree, semi trucks should be banned on that road. Ive seen the dragon and the trucks that go down it. They simply shouldnt be on that road, it creates a hazardous situation not only for the motorcyclist, but also for cars and the trucks themselves. The curves are just way too tight for any semi to fit through safely in their own lane.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #23
twincult
ninjette.org member

Name: Lacy

Motorcycle(s): GSX-R1000

The motorcyclist was my husband. He was known as Ike in the motorcycle community. One of the best riders out there on that road. : ( ( .

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #24
twincult
ninjette.org member

A video Ike made on the dragon with me on the back.

Link to original page on YouTube.

A petition I'd love for all to sign:

http://www.change.org/petitions/ikes...rcial-vehicles

Ike loved that road. It was his home. God do I miss that man.

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #25
twincult
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Actually coming across it from the NC side it is very illegal for semis to be on that road.

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #26
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincult View Post
The motorcyclist was my husband. He was known as Ike in the motorcycle community. One of the best riders out there on that road. : ( ( .
I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss.

Edited to say: Petition signed.

Last futzed with by bluepoof; August 15th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
bluepoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #27
oroboros
GDTRFB

Lacy,

I am so sorry for your loss. As a local and also a rider who frequents the hill, I will do my part help make the change.

Thank you for posting here.

Drew

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Very sorry for your loss, Lacy.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #29
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

deepest sympathies on the loss of your husband.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #30
jzizzi
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 1991 ZX7-J

Lacy, very sorry for your loss.
jzizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #31
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

+10000000000000

it's simply not possible to get a rig through the dragon without crossing the double yellow. In this case, it was reported that the flatbed was over the white line in the opposite lane. You could be the best driver in the world and still cross on the dragon....it's just not possible for trucks to navigate through there safely.
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #32
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

Sorry for your loss Lacy. I saw this over on ETR and signed the petition over there.
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #33
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I'm sorry for your loss. I frequent that road and feel like the semis really don't belong. Maybe we riders and drivers push our limits, but we do it (for the most part) on our side of the road. Petition signed. God bless you.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #34
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

So sorry for your loss. The video shows he was very skilled and competent.
Thanks for posting as it will help the petition.
Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #35
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
My heart is broken for you. :-( The thought of the pain you are experiencing is unimaginable. I ride that road 2-3 times per year, and I really don't think semis should be allowed on that road. For you and your husband's sake, I am so very sorry that they are. :-( :-(

We are truly here for you to support you if you need it.

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #36
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Very sorry for your loss, Lacy!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #37
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I am sorry for your loss, hopefully your husband is up riding in heaven now :|
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #38
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

God bless you, Lacy. You're not alone - we're here for you.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #39
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

I hope Lacy becomes a spokesperson for that petition to get the semis off the dragon. She's already a poster child for it, which really stinks. A good viral youtube video of the people the trucks have smacked would get a couple hundred signatures on it. Hopefully enough that they will stop ignoring the loss of life do to semis.
- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM   #40
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Sorry for your loss Lacy. Petition signed. Maybe a low clearance bridge on both sides would keep them out.

But the issue is really with long vehicles not just commercial vehicles. I would personally be just as worried about amateur driver tourists and their mile long RV's trying to whip through the curves there.