ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Notices

Old April 20th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #1
VegasNinja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: False

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Swing Arm Spools problems

Hey Guys,

Time to do some Chain Maintenance. Got 600 Miles already on my 2016 Ninja! Got a generic swing arm stand and Maxima chain cleaner and chain lube, then realized I needed to buy swing arm spools. I got a set from Cycle Gear but they were 6mm (had no idea) and returned them for 10mm I forget the brand but I couldn't get them to screw in. They were supposed to be for Kawasaki. So question is, is there an issue with the Ninja swing arm spool hole or did I just get a cheap brand for spools? Should I try the Shogun? That seems like what most people are using? I've been researching and seeing things like I need to get a fine thread and check the Pitch? I don't know that pitch is and then if that doesn't work I'll need to get a "Tap tool"? Not sure what that is either. Any thoughts, Issues or experience like that? Thatnks!
VegasNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #2
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Do not use a "tap tool" on anything. If I remember correctly, the size of the bolt you need is M10 x 1.25.

If you never installed spools on your bike before, the hole (thread) probably has paint on them from the factory. This will make the spools struggle to screw in. Just take your time and screw in & out & in & out a few times. This will cause the paint to flake off the threads and you should be able to easily screw them the spools on.

FYI - pitch just refers to how tightly spaced the threads are on the bolt. Confirm with the seller the pitch of the spool you purchased. If it's 1.25, just work them in and out slowly by hand (allen key). Don't use a drill or any power tools to install them.

Edit: Some blue loctite would be a good idea to put on the threads when you screw them on. I had one vibrate loose a few years ago.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #3
VegasNinja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: False

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Do not use a "tap tool" on anything. If I remember correctly, the size of the bolt you need is M10 x 1.25.

If you never installed spools on your bike before, the hole (thread) probably has paint on them from the factory. This will make the spools struggle to screw in. Just take your time and screw in & out & in & out a few times. This will cause the paint to flake off the threads and you should be able to easily screw them the spools on.

FYI - pitch just refers to how tightly spaced the threads are on the bolt. Confirm with the seller the pitch of the spool you purchased. If it's 1.25, just work them in and out slowly by hand (allen key). Don't use a drill or any power tools to install them.

Edit: Some blue loctite would be a good idea to put on the threads when you screw them on. I had one vibrate loose a few years ago.
Thank you! Will get another set and attempt again slowly working them in and out till they go.
VegasNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Read Mismatched swingarm spool thread pitch? too. You might have 1.25 or 1.5 pitch threads (or both, if you're really lucky). You can buy pitch measuring tools, or just try M10-1.25 and M10-1.5 bolts and see which one works.

You can use a tap to clean the threads, but it shouldn't require any effort if the tap matches the threads. If it's hard to turn, you're using the wrong tap and starting to cut new threads through the existing ones.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:14 AM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Read Mismatched swingarm spool thread pitch? too. You might have 1.25 or 1.5 pitch threads (or both, if you're really lucky). You can buy pitch measuring tools, or just try M10-1.25 and M10-1.5 bolts and see which one works.

You can use a tap to clean the threads, but it shouldn't require any effort if the tap matches the threads. If it's hard to turn, you're using the wrong tap and starting to cut new threads through the existing ones.
Woah!!! 1.25 on one side and 1.5 on the other?! That's a first. Someone was sleeping on the job at the assembly line in Japan. LOL.

OP, InvisiBill is right. It may not be a bad idea to run over to a Home Depot/Lowes to grab a M10 x 1.25 and a M10 x 1.5 bolt. They should be less than $0.25 each. Try to thread those on to make sure you know what size fits your bike.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Woah!!! 1.25 on one side and 1.5 on the other?! That's a first. Someone was sleeping on the job at the assembly line in Japan Thailand. LOL.
FTFY. It wouldn't be a first, although I haven't heard it on the 300's (or I've forgotten it). It has come up a few times in the 250 world over the years on this site.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2017, 01:23 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
LOL @ Alex.

Thailand????

Does anyone know what letter the VIN on Thailand made bikes start with? My VIN starts with a J, so I automatically assume it was made in Japan. Does Thailand have its own designation? Or does it use the same designation as the manufacturer's home location? Just curious to see if my "J" bike was possibly made in Thailand as well.

Old April 21st, 2017, 07:17 PM   #8
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I also vote for getting the correct sized tap to clean up the threads. I previously had an issue with that and a tap made it way easier. Besides, you never know when you might need a tap set for something else right?