ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM   #1
redonninrf
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2017 Triumph Thruxton 1200 Classic (not the 'R')

How Effective are Motorcycle Jeans?

During short trips for lunch or after work I wear textile slip-overs on top of whatever pants I'm wearing at the time. But for long weekend rides I usually wear armored jeans. Mine are fairly typical (I think) with Kevlar lining from the knees up and a textile lining below the knees. Add I've filled the inside knee and hip armor pockets with armor pads. So how safe are armored jeans?
redonninrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
better than regular jeans, not as good as leathers.

riding jeans are a compromise, I too wear riding jeans, with Bohn Adventure armour underneath them. I've never been down with them, hopefully I never will.

but when it comes to gear you have two issues, first is impact protection, second is abrasion protection. The trick is having enough of both, as I said its a compromise.

If I'm going for a nice easy ride I dress accordingly, if I'm going to be riding aggressive, my gear selection changes, as I expect to have an off, or at least my odds are better I will.

I have a lot of gear to choose from full racing leathers, all, the way down to riding jeans. I always wear my full face helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots.

I like the Bohn Adventure armour system as it offers excellent impact protection, and I wear them underneath my jeans, pants etc... As I said it a compromise I make, and most importantly I'm comfortable with, like you decision should be.

the problem with gear is people buy it, and then don't use it, either it's too heavy, hot, its pita to change, etc... you need to find what level of gear works for you. Nothing is worse than buying gear, and not using it, wasting you hard earned money.

hope this helps.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Scott nailed it.

Illuminating comparison between budget riding jeans and premium jeans ($$$$) here:

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/16621/th...truction-test/

Things to think about:

1) The abrasion protection in riding jeans comes from a layer of Kevlar. The denim offers zero protection and will be shredded the moment you hit the ground. Therefore riding jeans are sacrificial. One off and they're done, unlike leathers. My street leather pants (AGVSport Willow perforated) cost about $200. Same as a good pair of riding jeans, or even less if you're looking at premium stuff. And if I ever do go down, they'll still be serviceable.

2) The Kevlar is held in place by being sewn to the denim. If the denim gets shredded -- and it will -- what's holding the Kevlar? I'm skeptical on this aspect. I note here that if you go down the abrasion damage will be limited in area (likely your hip, butt, knee) and therefore may well leave the seams intact. Construction is a "get what you pay for" thing.... how much is it worth to you?

3) Leathers don't allow armor and such to move around. Jeans must be loose by comparison to be comfortable. (Hence Scott's wise move of wearing Bohn armor under his riding pants.)

4) If you have to armor up to protect yourself anyway, what's the point of jeans? Might as well wear real riding pants. The only benefit I can see is that you have a pair of "street" pants to walk around in when you get off the bike. Just my $0.02. I'm sure people walk around in these things all the time and don't find the armor awkward.

As Scott noted, it's all a giant compromise. My own choice is to wear leathers because going to the hospital SUCKS and is EXPENSIVE. If I really need street clothes at the other end I just chuck 'em in a pack. Or, for the commute, I keep a pair of pants at work and change them out periodically for washing. If I'm going out to dinner or something like that I take the car.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #4
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

I have two pair of riding jeans as well as a full leather suit, and I will always wear one or the other. I bought the suit for the track but when I know Im going up to the twisties I still wear it.

As for the jeans its more for short casual rides. I have faith in them but to an extent. Not every crash is the same and you cant expect to cover all your bases all the time. However it is better than regular jeans or dare I say shorts which we all see people riding in all the time.

If price is an issue when it comes to buying gear, do what I do..ask yourself "if I were lying in the hospital right now after a crash and someone offered to take the rash/pain/bone break away with an certain amount of money (however much that gear costs) would I pay it"? If so there is your answer to the quesion of "is this gear worth it?"
DirtyPelican is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:08 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Well said, Tiago.

Some more on that very topic...

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8330

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I crashed while wearing my AGV Kevlar reinforced jeans at about 35-40 mph (playing with DT100 on Dragon). I slid a bit, maybe 30-40 feet. They did their job and no skin touched the pavement, but I did get a little bruising. The denim was damaged a little, and my daughter repaired the tears.

Since then I bought a pair of leather racing type pants, and crashed in them on the track at a similar speed. The pants got a little surface abrasion marking but don't need repair, and I did not get bruised. I like to describe the crash as feeling like I fell into a pile of feathers.

Since then I have always worn the leather pants when riding, but would wear the jeans again if I want to ride somewhere and not be stuck in leather pants all afternoon, for example. I'm pretty sure that if I commuted by motorcycle daily, I'd wear leather and change at work.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I wear riding jeans for commuting to work or rides in-town. For longer rides, I've got a pair of leggings that are entirely lined with kevlar. Did one little crash in them, and no damage to the pants.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

I won't ride in anything but racing leathers. Once you go down hard at high speed on a public road, you'll be glad that you chose them over any reinforced jeans. I often ride to work, and just bring my regular clothes with me to change into once I get there.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 6th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #9
redonninrf
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2017 Triumph Thruxton 1200 Classic (not the 'R')

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I also have a concern with looseness in textile slip-overs. Seems it's very likely the knee or hip pads would just slip to one side.

I do consider myself an ATGATT rider. Even on a short trip to the store it's boots, gloves, helmet, motorcycle jacket and motorcycle pants or slip-overs.

Now a virtual worker so no longer commuting. When I did I just wore slip-overs on top of slacks or jeans and left a pair of work shoes at the office.
redonninrf is offline   Reply With Quote