ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Throttle problem? Bike bogs and dies

Hey guys,

So today I decided I was going to shim the needles on my beauty, and got as far as putting the washers on the needles when I realized I had bought the wrong size washers as the plastic piece that holds the needle in place would not fit over the washers. SO, I put my bike back together. Well, put the heads back on screwed them in with everything in place, put the gas tank back on, connected the 3 hoses and the fuel sensor that go to the gas tank and started my bike.

Starts fine with the choke on, then goes down to normal idle speed after I take the choke off.

My problem is that right when I touch the throttle the bike bogs the rpm's drop and the bike dies. Well not with just a touch, but almost.

I'm quite sure I put the needles back in properly, along with screwing the carby head's back on properly, and it did not look like the rubber diaphragm was damaged.

I'm wondering what I should try? I could take the carbys out and clean them out real good, but that would take a long time, and I will have to wait to do that. To be honest I am thinking about just flushing some cleaner in there to clean them out and see if that works first. I heard Seafoam works really well.

Thoughts?
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

First go back and check all your connections (hoses, electrical plugs, etc). If the bike ran fine before shimming and as long as there was no diaphragm damage, it should run fine now.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #3
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

That's probably a good idea. I think i'll unscrew the heads and get some new hardware to replace those JIS screws (unless I can find the all important screwdriver ), and make sure the seal is right and the rubber diaphragm's are not damaged.

Thanks for the reply man

Old September 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
15dollar
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I'd also check that the needles seated properly. I just shimmed mine and I had to really work to make sure the needles fell into their holes all the way.

BTW, once you get your needles shimmed (and if you pull the snorkle, like I did) you will be very pleased with the nice mid range rush . Low end still sucks, but who rides below 5k anyway?
15dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

vacuum line
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

How long was it running before it died from a light throttle application??
Mine is a 2011, nothing ever done to engine and when I first start it, until fully warmed up (2 w/ choke-5mins w/o choke) any application of throttle will bog and die. I assumed since it's brand new, this was a normal thing.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #7
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Thanks everyone for your help. Problem fixed!

@esrtek, nah this is definitely was not a normal thing. The bike was fine until I started working on it. Are you sure you don't have a problem? Seems like your bike must be running very lean or something to die at a little touch of throttle before warmed up.

@ninja250, that's what I thought at first, but I checked literally every hose for cracks, and made sure they were on properly.

@15dollar, you were right! the needle in the right carb wasn't quite sitting properly and the spring wasn't fully covering it. I must have messed it up the second time I put it back together. Put it back together and now my bike is running perfectly (BTW I have pulled the snorkel, runs so much better without it). I guess I will have to shim my needles some other time because I simply CANNOT FIND any 3mm washers here in vancouver. All I have found is 1/8 which seems to be to big. I think I will probably just take out the carbs for my service (in 500km) and shim the needles (if I can find the washers), take a whole bunch of pictures to possibly make a DIY for cleaning the carbs (kkim's is still gone I believe?).

Catch you guys on the flip side. Thank's for the help everyone!

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Glad you're up and running.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #9
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Thumbs up

Thanks Alex!

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #10
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

get yourself a jet kit for the new needles that come with shims and e-clips to adjust the height.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #11
EsrTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
@esrtek, nah this is definitely was not a normal thing. The bike was fine until I started working on it. Are you sure you don't have a problem? Seems like your bike must be running very lean or something to die at a little touch of throttle before warmed up.
It usually only does it in mornings >70 degrees. However today was the first time it stalled out when leaving work (was still under 70 degrees and sat for like 9hrs).
It did sit pretty much since Sat to today though due to constant rain (I did start it every other day and ran for 2-5mins). So maybe I need some seafoam??

If anything I been thinking it's running rich by the smell, but it's smells pretty much same as I remember as at the dealer.

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #12
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
It usually only does it in mornings >70 degrees. However today was the first time it stalled out when leaving work (was still under 70 degrees and sat for like 9hrs).
It did sit pretty much since Sat to today though due to constant rain (I did start it every other day and ran for 2-5mins). So maybe I need some seafoam??

If anything I been thinking it's running rich by the smell, but it's smells pretty much same as I remember as at the dealer.

Yea, cold starts are never the best. Especially after sitting for awhile.

I'm pretty sure if it was running very rich, black smoke would come out your exhaust. Throttle lean the bike down, so if your bike is already running very lean, it would make sense that the bike would bog and die at any application of it.

I'd say the same thing as the above post^ Get a jet kit or just shim the needles so it runs a little more rich

Seafoam can never hurt though (I think :O), so maybe just run that through first and see what happens.

Old September 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #13
EsrTek

I guess I can't get around shimming them huh...it probably is lean since putting the pipercross filter in. I was hoping to just wait till off season to buy an area P +jetkit.
So might just put the stock filter back in and see if that helps.