Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old October 4th, 2020, 09:02 PM   #1
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

late turn in gripes

so i took the year off from racing and track days. i went to a track day for the first time this year 2 weeks ago. i seen a perponderance of mid track entrys and late turn ins, and me caught on the outside. maybe im out of practice for putting myself in this position, or being only at races last year has shielded me from this behavior, or im the one who;s messed up. any thoughts?
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2020, 09:18 PM   #2
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

before i go to bed let me be more clear. i had assumed mid track entry he would turn in a little earlier protect the inside and push me to the dirt on exit, this is what i was prepared to handle, not pushed to the dirt on entry.

Old October 4th, 2020, 11:38 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Something similar happened to me at end of season 2-yrs ago @ Buttonwillow. Idiot on litrebike passes me on inside at end of straight and slams on brakes 100m before my marker. Which is fine, I usually just keep on going full-speed and pass them up. Except this guy moves over while he’s braking and slams into me! I rear-end him at 100mph+ and land on his back!

Seems lots of TDPs have been getting more lax about safety. PTT seems to be worse. Idiot took out my friend in Rainey Curve @ Laguna Seca last year. Another got taken out from behind by someone exiting track way, way too fast @ Sonoma couple months ago.

If you have video, upload to YouTube/Facebook and post everywhere. Be sure to include organizer’s name too. Someone’s gonna get killed if this trend keeps up.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2020, 04:33 PM   #4
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Something similar happened to me at end of season 2-yrs ago @ Buttonwillow. Idiot on litrebike passes me on inside at end of straight and slams on brakes 100m before my marker. Which is fine, I usually just keep on going full-speed and pass them up. Except this guy moves over while he’s braking and slams into me! I rear-end him at 100mph+ and land on his back!

Seems lots of TDPs have been getting more lax about safety. PTT seems to be worse. Idiot took out my friend in Rainey Curve @ Laguna Seca last year. Another got taken out from behind by someone exiting track way, way too fast @ Sonoma couple months ago.

If you have video, upload to YouTube/Facebook and post everywhere. Be sure to include organizer’s name too. Someone’s gonna get killed if this trend keeps up.
you gotta love the ole swoop left to go right manuvere. are you going to ride with dysturbed ryders on the 12th danno?

Old October 6th, 2020, 05:08 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Don't think I can make it. Have to inspect datacentre up in Sacramento of an acquisition we just made...

But am going to next PTT event at TH!

Old October 16th, 2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post

That kind of garbage is part of what made me move to the 450 R6. The necessary closure rate on corner entry for a 300 to make a pass on a big bike is super sketchy when the rider in front does the mid-track swoop out. Normally, if I have ridden with the organizer before, I'll bring up problematic riders doing this at the end of the day over beers in the paddock with a coach.

This weekend will be my first time riding with PTT, and this makes it sound like the Thunderdome.... Haha.

For this one specific reason, I do appreciate how East Coast organizers do things. Everyone has to start in Novice and you have to get a coach to bump you up to the next level. This whole "select your own group" thing is part of the problem, imo. There are a lot of "I know what I'm doing" types who sign up for Advanced or even Intermediate when they need a talking to about maintaining their line.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 16th, 2020, 10:39 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Ah yes, mandatory starting at bottom and getting approval to move up would make things so much safer!! Similar to tiered-licensing systems in more civilized placed. Really works!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 17th, 2020, 11:25 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ummm, "select your own group".... I would pass on that.

Reading 2 things here;

1. Late turn in riders are putting the squeeze on inside line riders.
2. Mid track riders are moving abruptly to the outside in the "generally" defined braking zone.

Both are bad moves. If it is trending with the org, then imho you should say something. Don't forget to check yourself as well. Ensure that you are not charging/taking the inside line after their "tip in."

"A clean pass is judged by the rider being passed, NOT the passing rider." Someone should be saying something like this during the rider's meeting or group meetings.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote