ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Speedometer cable help!

Ok so im in my last step in fixing up a gauge that i bought. Problem is i have to remove the whole speedometer cable plus the plastic thing that it attaches from the front wheel. How do you get that off? by just taking pliers and pulling it off or screwing it off? I tried both but i don't want to go to hard and far and find out im ruining the plastic piece!

PLEASE HELP

pictures attache, PS: it looks all chewed up from me messing with it, the cable still fits in though so didn't completely ruin it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0376.jpg (69.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0377.jpg (49.3 KB, 19 views)

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Anyone know?!

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Anyone know?!
It's all one piece and you'll need to make a spacer to take it all off. Also, it looks weird with a spacer.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
It's all one piece and you'll need to make a spacer to take it all off. Also, it looks weird with a spacer.
The piece i have to go in instead is just as big as that but metal and bigger piece but the circumference is the same as that on so i need to take it off and replace it. How do you take it off with a spacer??

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #5
skilletmo
InfoWhore

OOOOh ok now i get it, so i would have to remove the wheel and take the whole thing out....

Are you sure there is no way of taking that white thing out?

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #6
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Ok so this is how the cable looks that they gave me, there is supposed to be another nut on that screw but its off now, theres still one on there for an example. Inside this threaded screw is the nipple of the speedo cable. Any ideas? Thats how the gauge looks with everything connected except the speedo cable...

first pic is the start up look of it, second is when its idle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0379.jpg (65.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0378.jpg (82.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0380.jpg (45.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0381.jpg (43.8 KB, 7 views)

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
OOOOh ok now i get it, so i would have to remove the wheel and take the whole thing out....

Are you sure there is no way of taking that white thing out?
You could saw it off I guess, but it isn't meant to come out. Even so, I think you are confused. The eBay speedometer you got uses a magnetic hall-effect sensor. You are supposed to put magnets in your brake rotor bolts and mount the pickup near so that it can count the pulses as the magnets pass under it. You shouldn't need to connect anything to the mechanical speedometer gear on your wheel. It's now just a spacer.

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #8
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
You could saw it off I guess, but it isn't meant to come out. Even so, I think you are confused. The eBay speedometer you got uses a magnetic hall-effect sensor. You are supposed to put magnets in your brake rotor bolts and mount the pickup near so that it can count the pulses as the magnets pass under it. You shouldn't need to connect anything to the mechanical speedometer gear on your wheel. It's now just a spacer.
so this is what the guy said:
hi, friend
The speedometer is for updating motorcycle, the magnet should mounted on the front wheel, you'd better ask help from one motor shop, you can not fix it ready without any tools.
best regards,
Ron

i dont get it lol. But he did say it was a magnet, so where do you put this magnet? on the break? How do you do that, is there a place? Pictures would be much help! I cant ride till its rdy and its torturing me lol

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
so this is what the guy said:
hi, friend
The speedometer is for updating motorcycle, the magnet should mounted on the front wheel, you'd better ask help from one motor shop, you can not fix it ready without any tools.
best regards,
Ron

i dont get it lol. But he did say it was a magnet, so where do you put this magnet? on the break? How do you do that, is there a place? Pictures would be much help! I cant ride till its rdy and its torturing me lol
On most similar kits the magnets are small enough to fit inside the head of the bolts that hold on the brake rotor. IOW, you would no longer be able to insert a hex wrench/allen key into the rotor bolts without first removing the magnets. I dunno what your kit came with, but you then position the sensor over them using a bracket that bolts to the fork somewhere. Like this:
http://www.koso.com.tw/products-deta...id=502&lang=en

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #10
skilletmo
InfoWhore

So basically that is a magnet and needs to be attached somewhere on the front wheel? All i have to do is fond a way to attach it somewhere there and it will work?

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
So basically that is a magnet and needs to be attached somewhere on the front wheel? All i have to do is fond a way to attach it somewhere there and it will work?
Not exactly. It is the sensor/pickup that detects the magnets. The kit should have also included magnets in addition to it. It should have included four of them according to the description. These typically fit inside your brake rotor bolt heads. You position the sensor so that they pass under it as the wheel turns.

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #12
skilletmo
InfoWhore

I emailed the guy about that, he is very nice, but there is a nipple pin thing in the metal screw at the end of the wire, I thought that was what picks up the speed? (aka sensor)

Btw I really appreciate everything you have done for me so far, You are a major factor in my project! Please be patient with my noob questions lol

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #13
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Ok i watched a video but its a bike and a diffrent spedometer and magnet but i got the idea kind of...

I found the magnet, they are very tiny. Posted a pic below. As big as my finger tip (4 of them). So i attach my cable somewhere close to the wheel and the magnets somewhere on the side or where exactly?! Im so confused but i will do more research

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #14
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0382.jpg (38.4 KB, 7 views)

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I emailed the guy about that, he is very nice, but there is a nipple pin thing in the metal screw at the end of the wire, I thought that was what picks up the speed? (aka sensor)
It is. When you said...
Quote:
So basically that is a magnet and needs to be attached somewhere on the front wheel?
...I assumed you were talking about the only part you've shown me so far: The sensor. The thing I showed you is just the bracket that you can use to position the sensor. I have yet to see the magnets. Did your kit include them? It should have.

Quote:
Btw I really appreciate everything you have done for me so far, You are a major factor in my project! Please be patient with my noob questions lol
Glad to help! I'm excited to see the results because I am considering ordering one.

Edit: Ah! I see you found the magnets.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 9th, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #16
skilletmo
InfoWhore

LOL WTF I ASKED HIM LIKE 5 QUESTION WHICH HE ALL AWNSEROD, MY LAST QUESTION WAS "what is the clear circle thing at the top right corner of the gauge" he responded with "the clear circle thing on the top right of the speedometer Looks very beautiful"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH sorry i had to share this looool

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
LOL WTF I ASKED HIM LIKE 5 QUESTION WHICH HE ALL AWNSEROD, MY LAST QUESTION WAS "what is the clear circle thing at the top right corner of the gauge" he responded with "the clear circle thing on the top right of the speedometer Looks very beautiful"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH sorry i had to share this looool
That is hilarious! This is a clone of the Koso RX2n where that served as a multi-function indicator lamp. For example, it could indicate oil pressure or come on when you were past the red line. It may be vestigial on this unit.

I see you found the magnets.

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Ok i watched a video but its a bike and a diffrent spedometer and magnet but i got the idea kind of...

I found the magnet, they are very tiny. Posted a pic below. As big as my finger tip (4 of them). So i attach my cable somewhere close to the wheel and the magnets somewhere on the side or where exactly?! Im so confused but i will do more research
The most common place is INSIDE the head of the bolts that hold the brake rotor (disc) on. To position the sensor over it, you will need to make a bracket if it didn't come with one.

Old November 9th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #19
skilletmo
InfoWhore

AAHHH! Now i get it! That koso picture really helped explain it alot! Im going to go check tomorrow when its not 2 A.m in the morning to see if a hardware store or something has a piece like that so i can set it up! Either way Im going to try and finish the cable part so everything can be set and ready and i can find a way to mount the danm gauge. So far it is looking really good and i like it, really small compared to the other one, and looks better with my street fighter look! If you do consider buying it i can show you exactly were the wires should be pinned in and how i set up the whole thing and take pictures and show it to you. I might end up writing a DIY on it after im done with the whole thing.

Last question before i go to sleep lol

Does the magnets have to be stacked all ontop of each other like in the picture or do i only need to use one? If so, when you say inside the head of the bolt, what do you mean? Like just place it ontop of the bolt in that certain bolt?

Goodnight! Ill be checking tomorow

Old November 9th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #20
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
AAHHH! Now i get it! That koso picture really helped explain it alot! Im going to go check tomorrow when its not 2 A.m in the morning to see if a hardware store or something has a piece like that so i can set it up! Either way Im going to try and finish the cable part so everything can be set and ready and i can find a way to mount the danm gauge. So far it is looking really good and i like it, really small compared to the other one, and looks better with my street fighter look! If you do consider buying it i can show you exactly were the wires should be pinned in and how i set up the whole thing and take pictures and show it to you. I might end up writing a DIY on it after im done with the whole thing.

Does the magnets have to be stacked all ontop of each other like in the picture or do i only need to use one? If so, when you say inside the head of the bolt, what do you mean? Like just place it ontop of the bolt in that certain bolt?

Hey man, been following ya.

The long piece should fit in one of the holes on the brake caliper (nut that was on there to secure it, might need two.). On my pregen there are a few extra holes that you can use to support the sensor. And from there you just need to place the magnet so it runs by it. All you need is one. Best thing you could do though is spend a bit of extra money to get those bolts that koso sells that have the magnets built in on the head. Or find a really strong adhesive for the magnets you have.

Good luck and post vid of the guages in action and quality.

Old November 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
Hey man, been following ya.

The long piece should fit in one of the holes on the brake caliper (nut that was on there to secure it, might need two.). On my pregen there are a few extra holes that you can use to support the sensor. And from there you just need to place the magnet so it runs by it. All you need is one. Best thing you could do though is spend a bit of extra money to get those bolts that koso sells that have the magnets built in on the head. Or find a really strong adhesive for the magnets you have.

Good luck and post vid of the guages in action and quality.
If it's anything like the Koso then he can set the number of magnets used and the circumference of the tire. The more magnets the better. The way I understand it, it doesn't matter if there are five or six bolts and only four magnets: the more you use, the better, so use all four. It says "adjustable wheel parameter" in the description and doesn't specifically say that we can adjust the number of magnets that goes into the calculation, so it might require us to use all four.

I'm not sure which caliper bolt holes you were talking about mounting the sensor through but I wouldn't replace any mounting bolt on the caliper with the sensor because it's essentially a hollow threaded shaft that can't support the forces that a brake and caliper mount are designed to endure. Think about it: All the braking force for 400/500+ pounds goes through those two bolts. If it has some unused hole that happens to align with the rotor bolts or something, that's great, but I know Koso includes a bracket for a reason so I doubt there is a hole like that on the newgen.

As for securing the magnets, you can usually just drop them into the bolt head itself. Then I'd tape over them with something that can withstand the heat a brake rotor generates. If the temp generated is below the melting point of some solder, it might be a good thing to take a soldering iron and put some of it over them instead. I'd sure hate to see liquid solder getting on the brake rotor/pads, so that's an idea I'd ask someone else about first... someone familiar with the temperature a brake rotor produces and the melting point of typical solder (for electronics I know that the lead-free kind melts at a slightly higher temp and is more brittle).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Well, my Koso gauge is PnP for the newgen and it's the pregen I'd need to know all that for, so I doubt you'd be able to help me with that (thanks anyway). Basically, I might get this for the pregen and install my Koso on the newgen instead or sell the Koso. I remember looking for a few pieces like that at a local hardware store and no one has anything like it. It seems that they all expect you to bend and drill a piece of sheet metal to make it yourself. Bending and cutting some of the excess from that perforated strip I see in your pics could work, though it might not be the best-looking setup.

Quote:

You should use one in each rotor bolt but there may not be enough (pretty sure the bike has more than 4 rotor bolts). You just drop it in the same places you'd use an allen key/hex wrench to unscrew them, though you probably want to find a way to secure them there. I know the polarity matters for the Koso gauge and all their diagrams show the "N" (north) pole facing the sensor, so you might need to arrange them similarly.

Old November 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #23
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Thanks both of you for the info it finally makes sense and i found a lever to put on the front wheel like the koso one! just need to drill a hole in there. I also found the north poles of the magnets, they seem pretty stuck in those allen key holes but ill glue it down just in case, or tape it. Im having a problem though, The connection in the 9 pin hole has a rpm wire that i connected to with the male pin they gave me, but the rpm doesnt move when the bike is on?! only when the gauge first starts up and it goes all the way up then back down to 0... Any one know why? Im going to email him if that is the right wire, but i cant imagine another wire there because all of them are used up. He responds at night since its in china though...

P.s the clear hole on the top corner of the gauge is when the bike goes past red line it lights up red. So ya you were right!

Old November 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #24
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Thanks both of you for the info it finally makes sense and i found a lever to put on the front wheel like the koso one! just need to drill a hole in there. I also found the north poles of the magnets, they seem pretty stuck in those allen key holes but ill glue it down just in case, or tape it. Im having a problem though, The connection in the 9 pin hole has a rpm wire that i connected to with the male pin they gave me, but the rpm doesnt move when the bike is on?! only when the gauge first starts up and it goes all the way up then back down to 0... Any one know why? Im going to email him if that is the right wire, but i cant imagine another wire there because all of them are used up. He responds at night since its in china though...

P.s the clear hole on the top corner of the gauge is when the bike goes past red line it lights up red. So ya you were right!
U sure you used the right wire for the tach? also their wire could be sensitive and need to be placed on the spark plug or direct in the coil. Idk where the stock wire goes, maybe the ignition box? idk.

And for koso and this gauge its just a start up procedure that it moves up and down.

Old November 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #25
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Yes im 100% sure. The Rpm wire is black and mine is black and yellow for rpm everything is now working except the danm rpm.... im so ****ign mad right now lol

Idk were i to place the rpm wire if its to sensitive, i know where the spark plugs are but how in the world do i attach those 2 together?

Old November 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #26
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Like this? i saw this in another forum but im not sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rpm.jpg (65.8 KB, 18 views)

Old November 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #27
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Like this? i saw this in another forum but im not sure
thats how you put it into the coil. But i would make sure with the guy where to put it.

Also heard ppl wrapping it around the spark plug but i wouldnt do that.

Old November 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #28
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Isnt it shown there? Put a wire connected to The green wire and then just connect the wire that is connected to the plug (green wire) to my rpm wire?

Old November 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #29
skilletmo
InfoWhore

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/i...010-ELV-09.pdf what about like on this guide?

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #30
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
you could try that. would be easy and fast to see if it would work. just wrap it around the wire that go to the spark plug

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #31
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Defenitly going tp try that first. How do you do it exactly? Just taks the wire and wrap it around were only the tip is exposed or do I strip the whole wire that is being wrapped around the plug thing?

Old November 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #32
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Ok nvm I saw that in the link its not stripped all the way but not getting how the connection works? You simply just wrap a wire onto the plug and in the other end you connect it to the rpm speedo wire?

Old November 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Ok nvm I saw that in the link its not stripped all the way but not getting how the connection works? You simply just wrap a wire onto the plug and in the other end you connect it to the rpm speedo wire?
It's the reverse principle of an electromagnet. Any wire that passes through a magnetic field generates current in that wire and any wire with current passing through it generates a magnetic field. Coiling it enhances this, which is why a deliberate electromagnet is a big ol' coil and why your deliberate sensor should be coiled. It's also the same principle behind radio transmissions. There is no need to strip the tip of the wire. It's basically an antenna.

A power transformer is basically two coils where one induces current in the other without any connection. That's what's inside any AC power adapter "brick." Many of your electronics actually do not have a direct connection to the AC line, even AC appliances like fans, lights, and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (yes, the AC adapter outputs AC in the NES).

Anyway, the Koso manual explains all of the installation methods for the tach wire. I'll see if I can find a PDF.

Edit: http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/fCMS...t/BA010001.pdf
OK, it may not be obvious, but the diagram is showing you every possible way to do it with each of the two included cables. You would pick one method and use that cable only because there is only one place on the gauge's wiring harness to connect to. One cable is just a long wire with only one plug that can be spliced into different places to get a pulse or it can be coiled or taped to a few different things as shown to obtain it. The other cable has three plugs and can often be used without cutting/splicing/coiling by unplugging the positive terminal to the coils (before the spark plug cables) and connecting the cable as a pass-through/Y-splitter. Alternatively, you can plug it into itself and wrap around the spark plug wire, but I doubt it would work as well as coiling the other wire.

I imagine that this eBay unit didn't come with all the extra fancy wires and connectors, so good luck. It shouldn't be hard though.

Last futzed with by CZroe; November 11th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #34
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Sigh...

Its sad that i have everything working except my stupid tachometer. So i looked at that diagram and thank you for helping me out but i tried what it said and nothing happened, i didn't try the other options cause they didn't make sense to me... But if you could, please tell me if im even doing the first step right!

posted pictures, but basically what i did was take a wire from Lowes, strip the end of it a little, took the other end and wrapped it around the spark plug wire, and the part that i stripped, i connected it to my gauge rpm wire (which is b/y). Started the bike and nothing... Am i doing it right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0389.jpg (46.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0388.jpg (56.9 KB, 2 views)

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Sigh...

Its sad that i have everything working except my stupid tachometer. So i looked at that diagram and thank you for helping me out but i tried what it said and nothing happened, i didn't try the other options cause they didn't make sense to me... But if you could, please tell me if im even doing the first step right!

posted pictures, but basically what i did was take a wire from Lowes, strip the end of it a little, took the other end and wrapped it around the spark plug wire, and the part that i stripped, i connected it to my gauge rpm wire (which is b/y). Started the bike and nothing... Am i doing it right?
I think you are doing it right, though it should work best by connecting directly to the original tach signal too (option D on the diagram). I sounds like that's what you originally tried though. How many wires go to the original tach? Could it be three (+, -, and signal)? If so, maybe it can be damaged by connecting it to the wrong one and that's why it's not working?

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #36
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
I think you are doing it right, though it should work best by connecting directly to the original tach signal too (option D on the diagram). I sounds like that's what you originally tried though. How many wires go to the original tach? Could it be three (+, -, and signal)? If so, maybe it can be damaged by connecting it to the wrong one and that's why it's not working?
No ive never tired that, i think that might work! Hopefully... But no my gauge has +,-, already on it and i reconnected the original gauge and the rpm still works so i don't think there's anything wrong. Before i go and try it now, I forget about the original rpm wire on the harness from the ninja, right? I no longer need that one and i can tuck it away?

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #37
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Can someone also tell me where the sensor is? I thought its on the sparkplug but im wrong. Anyone know?

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
No ive never tired that, i think that might work!
What were you connecting it to originally if not the original wire that goes to the tach?

Quote:
Hopefully... But no my gauge has +,-, already on it and i reconnected the original gauge and the rpm still works so i don't think there's anything wrong.
It's the new gauge's RPM/tach function I was worried about, but if they generally only have two wires then I assume it's fine and designed to take that voltage.

Quote:
Before i go and try it now, I forget about the original rpm wire on the harness from the ninja, right? I no longer need that one and i can tuck it away?
You can tap it right out of the CDI, at the connector, or past the connector (if you want to retain the connector and wires from the original gauge), as long as it's the right wire.

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Can someone also tell me where the sensor is? I thought its on the sparkplug but im wrong. Anyone know?
What sensor? I don't think the signal comes from a sensor. The original signal comes from the CDI, but we all know that the newgen CDI can cause the tach to read wrong (too high) when it overheats, so it's not the actual pulse from the engine. The aftermarket gauge can use that or it can pick up the pulse directly from one of the spark plugs and then just does the math (with the Koso you can specify how many cylinders you have in the setup menu).

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #40
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Oops! I meant the cdi! Not sensor