ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2010 (Sold), 2013 Ninja 300!!

Possible Summer configuration?

http://www.eagleleatherstore.com/sto...Draggin-Shirt/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ee-Guards.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ow-Guards.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Protector.aspx

Above is the stuff im thinking about getting for the Summer. What do you think? I just dont want to be in the gear i have now during the summer cause i would be super hot. With the above i could wear shorts (with the knee pads), the kevlar shirt with back and elbow protection. Yes? No?

YEa i know i wont be full out covered but would at least protect knees, spine, elbows. Maybe a bad idea?

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Go with a quality mesh jacket and some mesh pants or jeans with knee armor. It's just easier than strapping so many things on everytime you go out.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

my gear is mesh with liners but it was still hot. even after I removed the liner
Posted via Mobile Device
Kerberos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #4
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogutierrez17 View Post
my gear is mesh with liners but it was still hot. even after I removed the liner
Posted via Mobile Device
what jacket are you sporting? My textile jacket ventilates great, and its black to boot.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

joe rocket jacket and alter ego pants and they both are mesh
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
joe rocket jacket and alter ego pants and they both are mesh
Posted via Mobile Device
hrmm. i think what you need to do is SPEED UP.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

its hard to speed up in traffic, no lane splitting in WA lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #8
setasai

Try wetting your tshirt first and then riding... keep a waterbottle handy. What happens when riding in hot weather is that the perspiration dries too quickly and hence doesnt keep you cool. Drink lots of fluids and splash some water on yourself. If you have to, setup one of those misting pump sprayers to spray your chest as you're riding.

The gear you mentioned is just gonna be a hassle. Plus, armor that straps to your legs and arms tend to be much much less ventilated. So you'll be even hotter. Also black is very very warm.

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Try wetting your tshirt first and then riding... keep a waterbottle handy. What happens when riding in hot weather is that the perspiration dries too quickly and hence doesnt keep you cool. Drink lots of fluids and splash some water on yourself. If you have to, setup one of those misting pump sprayers to spray your chest as you're riding.

The gear you mentioned is just gonna be a hassle. Plus, armor that straps to your legs and arms tend to be much much less ventilated. So you'll be even hotter. Also black is very very warm.
True true...they have different colors as well. I dont know. I guess im just being stubborn. Never thought about the water trick. Too bad winter is just beginning.

but how about this one?

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #10
setasai

Quote:
True true...they have different colors as well. I dont know. I guess im just being stubborn. Never thought about the water trick. Too bad winter is just beginning.

but how about this one?
I'm still going to say no. What you are suggesting is basically a mesh jacket in pieces. Also remember that a shirt you need to wash frequently. If you insist on seeing what it feels like, ride around in your mesh jacket with nothing under it.

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm still going to say no. What you are suggesting is basically a mesh jacket in pieces. Also remember that a shirt you need to wash frequently. If you insist on seeing what it feels like, ride around in your mesh jacket with nothing under it.
LOL i totally have already it was hot. lol

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #12
setasai

Quote:
LOL i totally have already it was hot. lol
Then more than likely a mesh shirt plus armor will be very very similar... still hot. What temperatures are you worried about? At some point, just sitting is hot so being on a motorcycle isnt going to help.

Try the water thing... It feels amazing!

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Kerberos
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Then more than likely a mesh shirt plus armor will be very very similar... still hot. What temperatures are you worried about? At some point, just sitting is hot so being on a motorcycle isnt going to help.

Try the water thing... It feels amazing!
Well its winter now so i wont worry about it till winter. But i will try the water suggestion.

And my idea was to just wear like under armor heat gear under the kavlar shirt to reduce the friction but i will try your suggestion before spending money

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I am totally with Brian on this one. I live in the tropics where it is ALWAYS hot and humid, so I live in my summer gear year round. Going with all the strapons is a pain in the ass, it doesn't help you with abrasion resistance as much as you need and the pads actually make you sweat like crazy. You can be comfortable in full gear if you get the right gear. My experiences on gearing up when hot:

*When it gets above 99 degrees, more airflow hurts more than it helps. You are just flowing air over you that is hotter than your core temp. It is better to cover up MORE, not less, when that happens. And no matter what you wear, or don't wear, or how much you sacrifice safety, you are going to be hot.

*Even below 99, keeping direct sun off you helps keep cooler provided you get enough air flow. And for lowspeed airflow (I commute in traffic in this godawful humidity), good mesh gear works really well, and keeps me cool. My goal is humid 90 degree with high humidity commute to and from work with no visible sweating onto my work clothes, and I'm able to do it. The trick is that you need airflow everywhere.

*That means no strap on pads. I have elbow and knee pads I've used in the past, and they suck down here in the tropics. No airflow at all under the pads, and I sweat like a dog at a Korean bbq in those things. Uncomfortable to ride in once you get sweaty, too. I had a fantasy once I could commute to work in my thin, summer work pants if I wore Bohn underwear with hip/tailbone protection and strap on knee pads. Apart from issues with abrasion resistance, it was too freaking hot even though I was, in theory, wearing less that if I used mesh overpants. I'd show up at work a pile of dripping sweat - with my overpants, I show up at work just fine. Actual riding jacket and pants flow better under the impact protection and overall cooling effect is better.

*That also means you have to think about all your gear. Mesh gloves and boots that breathe are really useful. I wear Held Airstream gloves and Cortech Latigo Air boots (with wicking summer socks). It is surprising how much more comfortable you feel when you get air on your feet and hands. Helmet is even more important -- good venting on your helmet is key to keeping you cool. If your feet and head are cool, I think you'll feel much better overall. If it is super hot, I'll put a wet bandana in my helmet. Really nice - and you can re-wet it when you get hot again and it dries out.

*For jacket and pants, I use RevIt Turbine gear, which replaced my old Joe Rocket Phoenix gear. The Alter Ego stuff you use now is hotter than the Phoenix stuff I used to wear, which is hotter than the RevIt stuff I now wear. You can upgrade your gear and I think you'll feel better. Don't just get stuff with zipper vents, get full on mesh panels. But look for Dynamesh or Kevlar mesh -- much higher quality stuff than the polyester crap on Joe Rocket and similar gear that literally melts into your skin with friction. My RevIt jacket has ceramic abrasion resistance that will beat most textile jackets out there for safety even though it breathes so well.

*When all else fails, I wear a Fieldsheer Iceberg Vest. No matter how hot it is, this thing is awesome. Brings my core temp down quickly. Pair it with a camelbak, and I'm good for extended periods in 100 degree weather, even with full protective gear.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #16
setasai

I will agree with Floyd on this one. Gotta agree every once in a while.

Old January 26th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #17
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

I have always used leather even in the 4 years riding in Thailand but I am looking to change because although leather breathes well and does offer good protection imho to be comfortable in these tropical conditions I have had to go to a lot thinner jacket than i would like ,

I am now looking for a good alternative .........I will check out the suggestions above .

But i do find my options are limited due to the fact I am very tall and skinny if i find a Jacket that fits well around the body the arms are too short if the arms fit the body looks like a sack of potatoes tied with string .....I know its not a fashion statement but after all these are damn good looking bikes and i feel the rider should try to look the part also