ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - $3400 Questions!

Alright, so I have been scouring Craigslist all over So Cal for a bike. I am kinda picky, really narrowing my search.

I want:
  • Less that 10K miles
  • Green color
  • No cosmetic damage (never been dropped)

I have had some difficulties finding something that is priced below $3500 but I found this listing being offered by a dealer: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcd/2821087409.html

The bike has no visible damage, LOW miles (which is a huge plus), green color, and it is being offered with a free warranty.

The cons: Price is steep. Obviously since it is being sold by a dealer its going to be much more expensive.

How can you negotiate with dealers when purchasing pre-owned bikes? I know with brand new bikes they want to make at least 10% on the sale. Does the same hold true for used bikes? Would it be appropriate for me to offer, say $2900?

Now I know a lot of you guys will say that price is just too expensive period. You must keep in mind that I am purchasing in Southern California (the nicest year round climate in the country with the most expensive gas prices). These bikes are in demand over here. It is not uncommon to see a used 250 listed at $3500-$3900 depending on the condition, year, and miles. These bikes hold their value EXTREMELY WELL here in So Cal (especially the new gen Ninjas).

One other question: Should I bring a motorcycle mechanic to inspect the bike before making a purchase? Or does a dealer automatically inspect the bike before putting it on the showroom floor?

Lets get some opinions! Knowledge is power
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:05 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
dont bother with a dealer.

its a joke seeing bikes for those kind of prices. they are preying on new riders. find a used bike and call one of the san diego guys up and we will come check it out with you to make sure its good.

mileage on bikes means almost nothing. limiting yourself to a low mileage bike is just raising your cost for no reason. if a bike is taken care of, it will last forever. even bikes with 500 miles on them can be nearly destroyed from some idiot mistreating the beast

also, that bike you posted has plenty of visible damage. it looks like someone dropped it and ran it through a bush then replaced the lever/bar end.

notice all the scrapes on the fender, side fairing and mirror. notice the jacked up peg feeler. notice all the scrapes on the exhaust. notice the missing chunks from the side fairing

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Also if you think that has no cosmetic damage I suggest you check again (right side)

Small scratches, but still, they are there.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

just get an old gen and save money

would not pay $3400 for an 09... even in perfect condition.
i would offer $2000 OTD, since there is a lot of damage.

there are no rules when dealing with a dealership
just be sure of how much you want to spend and don't budge. if its not within your limit walk.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 07:47 PM   #5
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I checked the Kelley Bluebook for a 2009 EX 250 and the range is $2900 ( exc . cond., retail price ) to $1965 ( good cond. , trade-in price) . This value is for my Nor Cal area but wouldn't differ that much from your area. You can use that info in negoitating a price. Used vehicles are sold " as is " so you are no better off buying used from a dealer unless they offer some warranty.
Personally, I'd keep looking, that bike is not going away at that price.
my 2 cents, good luck
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Thanks for the info guys!

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
seriously though josh. when you go check out a bike msg one of the san diego guys and we will help you check it out and pick it up. there are a lot of assholes out there.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Alex knows exactly what to look for and is quite knowledgeable mechanically speaking. Just keep in mind he thinks you should never pay more than $300 for a bike and some of his bikes look like that...
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

Negotiating with a dealer is much different than a private sale. Simply "Offering him 2 grand" is only gonna get you laughed at and no one to help you any further. You need to figure out a way to get the salesman/sales manager to invest a decent amount of time into you. Checking out different bikes etc...doest really matter how...but you need to keep him interested by displaying you are a qualified buyer who is willing to buy now! After you have taken up a considerable amount of his day is when you low ball him! Trust me...if you did the prerequisite properly...he will do almost anything he can to get you leaving on that bike!
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM   #10
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I had a deal with a private seller fall through when attempting to buy his 650R when he couldn't provide a clean title. So, I strolled into Plano Kawasaki with $3900 cash later that day & asked what they could do for me on the new (leftover) green 250R they had on the floor. They wouldn't even entertain dealing with me.

I don't pay MSRP for anything, and dealerships can forget about me paying all the rediculous fees as well. I find that their prices are equally stupid for most of the used bikes they have. It's a rediculous prospect when you consider how many well-cared-for 1-3 year-old bikes there are for sale by individuals. Craigslist, and to a lesser extent, Ebay is a mecca for a bargain hunter, especially this time of year.

That NCY Ninja you're looking at is a bit overpriced WITHOUT the scratches.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #11
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

If you need any help, feel free to contact me because I'm in the SD area also.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

na cause its a dealer...

3k would be a good deal
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

I doubt you would talk them down much.

They know these little bikes are very desirable. If you dont buy, somebody else will buy it tomorrow.

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

why do you care if its been dropped? arent you a new rider? You will most likely drop it... lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
people think dropping a bike is what causes long lasting mechanical problems. its not. cosmetic damage usually has almost nothing to do with real damage. real damage is caused by someone who doesn't know how to ride a bike. its caused by people who don't do their own maintenance. people who rely on a dealer to do their maintenance will put things off. they will let that whine or tick go until it gets bad. it costs them the same if they take care of it immediately or wait a little while, so why not wait a little while? you need to know how to inspect a bike to know whether its a piece of **** or not. hearing someone say they have done this and that at that and this mileage, and how they always ran premium and how they always put a cover on it and how they never wheelied it except once or twice in parking lots for the babes, blah blah blah blah. meanwhile, it hasnt had its chain lubed in 3 years blah blah blah fork oil never changed and its 10 years old blah blah blah, the dealer didnt say anything about changing brake fluid blah blah blah why would i need to check the bearings? its only XX years old.

people think they know what they are doing. they dont. dont let someone tell you what condition a bike is in. figure it out for yourself, or have someone who knows what they are doing look at it. also dont pay someone to look at a bike for you. especially when there are PLENTY of people in the moto community that are more than willing to help new riders get a quality bike. nobody wants a lemon.

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:40 PM   #16
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
people think dropping a bike is what causes long lasting mechanical problems. its not. cosmetic damage usually has almost nothing to do with real damage. real damage is caused by someone who doesn't know how to ride a bike. its caused by people who don't do their own maintenance. people who rely on a dealer to do their maintenance will put things off. they will let that whine or tick go until it gets bad. it costs them the same if they take care of it immediately or wait a little while, so why not wait a little while? you need to know how to inspect a bike to know whether its a piece of **** or not. hearing someone say they have done this and that at that and this mileage, and how they always ran premium and how they always put a cover on it and how they never wheelied it except once or twice in parking lots for the babes, blah blah blah blah. meanwhile, it hasnt had its chain lubed in 3 years blah blah blah fork oil never changed and its 10 years old blah blah blah, the dealer didnt say anything about changing brake fluid blah blah blah why would i need to check the bearings? its only XX years old.

people think they know what they are doing. they dont. dont let someone tell you what condition a bike is in. figure it out for yourself, or have someone who knows what they are doing look at it. also dont pay someone to look at a bike for you. especially when there are PLENTY of people in the moto community that are more than willing to help new riders get a quality bike. nobody wants a lemon.
Well Alex, you have provided a lot of interesting information. Are you a qualified community member that can inspect a bike? considering you are in North County, it isn't too far away. I also found a mechanic down here in East county (www.socalmotor.com) that offers pre-purchase inspections for $50.

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i can help you out if its not too inconvenient. there are plenty of other people around as well. just post something up asking for someone to help inspect the bike and one of us will find some time

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #18
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i can help you out if its not too inconvenient. there are plenty of other people around as well. just post something up asking for someone to help inspect the bike and one of us will find some time
kk sounds good

Old February 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #19
austinm911
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I got my 09 SE from the fun bike center Oct 2010 for $3200. Not one scratch on it and it had 1k miles. My dad went into the FBC the day the guy sold the bike to FBC (Navy guy being deployed.)

That price for the one you showed us is ridiculous. That bike is ~2900
austinm911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM   #20
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

That prices doesn't sound horrific per KBB. I got a 09 with 125mi for 2900 a few months ago. It was my first bike so I didn't feel like taking any chances with private party, which might of been cheaper. Now that I know some more about bikes I would probably go private party. Price probably varies per area. I'd try to get it in you KBB range, probably close to what I paid and go from there.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote