ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 15th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

2011 Triumph Speed/Street Triples

They redesigned the Speed Triple...which means that the Street Triple's gotten a makeover too. This is the bike that got me into motorcycles....I kinda dig the new design...I kinda don't. Flashmonkey is confused!

Link to original page on YouTube.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/642/81...irst-Look.aspx

Thoughts?

Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Headlight assembly is.......not good looking. Not the Triumph I would like to own but it's an overall sweet ride.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Flashmonkey

Link to original page on YouTube.

Found another vid.

Yup...hate the lights.

I'm a little emotional right now....I need to calm down or something. Maybe I'll like it more in person.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #4
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Those headlights are awful! They need to wrap a small fairing around them. Side note - the new bmw k1600 looks like a friggin beast
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
They redesigned the Speed Triple...which means that the Street Triple's gotten a makeover too.
Not seeing a difference except the ugly new headlights. You know that aside from the similar name the Speed and Street 3's share nothing, right? The Street is a naked Daytona 675, the Speed 1050 is a whole different animal.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #6
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I'm confused too. In the video, one of the bikes looks to have round headlights. Maybe they are differentiating the two models. Have to see the new model in person to make a judgement on the looks.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #7
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Those headlights are awful! They need to wrap a small fairing around them. Side note - the new bmw k1600 looks like a friggin beast
Ya, Why don't they put a fairing on the Speed Triple and tune it like a superbike. It would likely sell.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Not seeing a difference except the ugly new headlights. You know that aside from the similar name the Speed and Street 3's share nothing, right? The Street is a naked Daytona 675, the Speed 1050 is a whole different animal.
Agreed but the street triple is marketed as the speed triple's baby brother. Not sure why they wouldn't redesign the looks on both. But hey if they keep the older looks of the street triple then at least both bikes won't be ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
Ya, Why don't they put a fairing on the Speed Triple and tune it like a superbike. It would likely sell.
Because it isn't a superbike. That's the whole point. I'm thinking they need to add something to compete with litre class superbikes if anything. I'd lay a freakin' egg if they discontinued the S3 and replaced it with some fairing laden monstrosity

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Agreed but the street triple is marketed as the speed triple's baby brother. Not sure why they wouldn't redesign the looks on both. But hey if they keep the older looks of the street triple then at least both bikes won't be ugly

Because it isn't a superbike. That's the whole point. I'm thinking they need to add something to compete with litre class superbikes if anything. I'd lay a freakin' egg if they discontinued the S3 and replaced it with some fairing laden monstrosity
Never happen. The Speed Triple made the modern Triumph brand. I doubt they'd have a big hit with a 'Daytona 1050' either, that engine doesn't make a lot of power when you compare it to litrebike. In fact, with the additional weight of the 1050, it doesn't really make much power on the 675.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Never happen. The Speed Triple made the modern Triumph brand. I doubt they'd have a big hit with a 'Daytona 1050' either, that engine doesn't make a lot of power when you compare it to litrebike. In fact, with the additional weight of the 1050, it doesn't really make much power on the 675.
+1 Their 675 triple motor is their latest crowning achievement, and I doubt a niche brand like Triumph is gonna dive into the SS litre bike market anytime soon. They'd probably have to design and build a new engine from the ground up.

I wouldn't mind it if they tried, though.

Old October 16th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #11
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

That front/side assemblies has totally changed the whole "Rocker" look. too bad very sad.

Quote:
I so agree.